Does anyone else here have G.A.S.?

NotarPilot

3 hours ago, rbridges said:

I hear an ADSB upgrade in your plane's not too distant future.  One of the downsides of being under the Atlanta Bravo.

Darn!  I'm being pushed (screaming and kicking) into the future.

I'm still holding out for the FAA's letter of postponement!  :ph34r:

Hi I'm Dan own a Mooney, third in fact, just had to keep moving up, had as once had money and a plane gotta spend money on my plane, still not enough ok let's het more stuff. JERRY you get that kerosene burner yet, it goes hand in hand get a plane and keep spending, ask our prior Mooniac from Latrobe now a sweet Baron fan, we all think were efficient since we hand Mooneys. NOT SO, as long as there is funds available plane stuff is in our sights. I need to stop looking at the Controller,either a Lancair Evolution or Aerostar, need more speed, not broke yet, just almost,

where was that post on getting old,quitting flying when we can't see or chew gum,or  walk at the same time. 

Hi, My name is John, and I am owned by a plane.

When I got my J in 2013, it was just fine the way it was.

But then the EDM 800 had a problem, so a new EDM 830 had to be put in and relocated so I could see it better (should have done the 900!). Then the KT 74 for ADS-B Out might as well be done while there is not a big line at the avionics shop.

Lately, the stand-by AI has started squealing, so the Sandia 340 might be a good option for replacing it. And I swear if I have to repair the HSI or AI again, I am going to replace them with an Aspen. But if I put in the Aspen, then the only thing using vacuum is the speed brakes, so swapping them out for the newer electric ones will allow me to remove the vacuum system and the stand-by vac. More UL! But the panel will be all cut up with things moving around, so I should have a new panel cut and installed. That would be a good time to put in the EDM 900 I should have done when I did the 830. The CiES senders really make the EDM accurate, so let's put them in when we do the engine monitor upgrade.

The paint is getting thin on some of the leading edges (rain really does wear it off), so a paint job is looking like something to do in the near future, but before I do that, there is a small leak on the top of both tanks, so they should be resealed. And if I do the paint job, then the interior will look really bad, so I will get that done when I have it painted. But the glass is getting a bit hazy, so before we go to the paint shop, it should get replaced.

Should I look at the engine? With 1500+ hours on it, it seems to be blowing a bit of oil (still only 1 qt. in 8 hours), but I don't want to oil up the new paint job. And I will need to have the prop and governor done while I am doing the engine. Just makes sense.

But my J is fine just the way she is.

Some of those wild fantasies may get done if things fail or become unsafe, but the majority of them will remain reasons for me to go to Sun-n-Fun and look at the new gadgets.

Fortunately, my wife inoculated me from A.I.D.S. She is the one who suggested we get the Mooney when I wanted to upgrade the C172 we had. If I threw all of these upgrades at her, would probably just look at me and tell me to sell the J and get an Ovation.

Hmmmm................

• Like 3

14 hours ago, NotarPilot said:

After speaking with FlyDave tonight I realized I have a condition called G.A.S. - Gear Acquisition Syndrome.  It seems I can never finish my list of improvements I wish to make for my beloved Mooney.  I recently made a wish list of the gear I wanted and it totaled around $10k! My wish list includes finewires, GAMIs, an Aerospace Logic fuel level gauge, CiES digital fuel senders, a PSE PMA450A, a Dynon D10A for the right seat and maybe a Power Flow System.

So my question to other Mooneyspacers and Mooniacs, are you happy with the current equipment status of your plane AS IS or do you find yourself always yearning for more with a seemingly endless list of improvements you wish to make?  What kind of improvements would you make if you could came into a small sum of money that you weren't expecting (and the wife didn't know about)?

I think you "picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 1964-M20E said:

Bless me father for I have sinned.:(

I have been having impure thoughts about open cockpit bi-planes.:ph34r:

For your penance, offer twice what it's worth!

It's for sale.  You could be flying it this weekend!

IMG_3405.JPG

Hi, My name is John, and I am owned by a plane.
When I got my J in 2013, it was just fine the way it was.
But then the EDM 800 had a problem, so a new EDM 830 had to be put in and relocated so I could see it better (should have done the 900!). Then the KT 74 for ADS-B Out might as well be done while there is not a big line at the avionics shop.
Lately, the stand-by AI has started squealing, so the Sandia 340 might be a good option for replacing it. And I swear if I have to repair the HSI or AI again, I am going to replace them with an Aspen. But if I put in the Aspen, then the only thing using vacuum is the speed brakes, so swapping them out for the newer electric ones will allow me to remove the vacuum system and the stand-by vac. More UL! But the panel will be all cut up with things moving around, so I should have a new panel cut and installed. That would be a good time to put in the EDM 900 I should have done when I did the 830. The CiES senders really make the EDM accurate, so let's put them in when we do the engine monitor upgrade.
The paint is getting thin on some of the leading edges (rain really does wear it off), so a paint job is looking like something to do in the near future, but before I do that, there is a small leak on the top of both tanks, so they should be resealed. And if I do the paint job, then the interior will look really bad, so I will get that done when I have it painted. But the glass is getting a bit hazy, so before we go to the paint shop, it should get replaced.
Should I look at the engine? With 1500+ hours on it, it seems to be blowing a bit of oil (still only 1 qt. in 8 hours), but I don't want to oil up the new paint job. And I will need to have the prop and governor done while I am doing the engine. Just makes sense.
But my J is fine just the way she is.
Some of those wild fantasies may get done if things fail or become unsafe, but the majority of them will remain reasons for me to go to Sun-n-Fun and look at the new gadgets.
Fortunately, my wife inoculated me from A.I.D.S. She is the one who suggested we get the Mooney when I wanted to upgrade the C172 we had. If I threw all of these upgrades at her, would probably just look at me and tell me to sell the J and get an Ovation.
Hmmmm................

You're a goner. When are you ordering the Aspen?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I don't know what you're talking about. Sure I just bought some new leather upholstered seats which will require new carpet and some plastics. But that's all.
Once that's done the interior will pretty much require a new paint job, but that can't be helped.
Those Avidyne units look pretty sweet though, might have to get one of those, but they are pretty much a bargain. 
But it would be nice to get an Aspen unit or two, or a Dynon MFD for the panel, might go well with the new GPS. But that's about it.
A one piece belly would sure speed up some of the maintenance and moving some antennas might eek out a few more knots. But that's all I want. 
So no, I don't really want much.

You're done too. Did I mention Aspen is running a special rebate program?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Ahem...37 years of this,7 airplanes ,1 helicopter,1 racing sailplane,1 ultralight,3 sea planes,countless rc models,2 parasailing rigs,2 sport jumping parachutes...1 tow behind boat .....problem addiction...I don't have an addiction ..I don't have enough money!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, thinwing said:

Ahem...37 years of this,7 airplanes ,1 helicopter,1 racing sailplane,1 ultralight,3 sea planes,countless rc models,2 parasailing rigs,2 sport jumping parachutes...1 tow behind boat .....problem addiction...I don't have an addiction ..I don't have enough money!

I don't think any of us, who have G.A.S., have enough money.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, thinwing said:

Or is it we had enough money before all of our addictions?

• Like 1