Does anyone else here have G.A.S.?

NotarPilot

After speaking with FlyDave tonight I realized I have a condition called G.A.S. - Gear Acquisition Syndrome.  It seems I can never finish my list of improvements I wish to make for my beloved Mooney.  I recently made a wish list of the gear I wanted and it totaled around $10k! My wish list includes finewires, GAMIs, an Aerospace Logic fuel level gauge, CiES digital fuel senders, a PSE PMA450A, a Dynon D10A for the right seat and maybe a Power Flow System.

So my question to other Mooneyspacers and Mooniacs, are you happy with the current equipment status of your plane AS IS or do you find yourself always yearning for more with a seemingly endless list of improvements you wish to make?  What kind of improvements would you make if you could came into a small sum of money that you weren't expecting (and the wife didn't know about)?

• Like 3

After speaking with FlyDave tonight I realized I have a condition called G.A.S. - Gear Acquisition Syndrome.  It seems I can never finish my list of improvements I wish to make for my beloved Mooney.  I recently made a wish list of the gear I wanted and it totaled around $10k! My wish list includes finewires, GAMIs, an Aerospace Logic fuel level gauge, CiES digital fuel senders, a PSE PMA450A, a Dynon D10A for the right seat and maybe a Power Flow System.
So my question to other Mooneyspacers and Mooniacs, are you happy with the current equipment status of your plane AS IS or do you find yourself always yearning for more with a seemingly endless list of improvements you wish to make?  What kind of improvements would you make if you could came into a small sum of money that you weren't expecting (and the wife didn't know about)?

Nothing wrong with your thinking at all. Wait a sec! You're the guy that convinced me at Oshkosh that I needed new LED wingtip and belly strobes. And then, a few months later convince me to buy the tail strobe! You're the devil!

It's an addiction man. I was fine for years. I added a few essential minor things in the first 7 years of ownership, then in 1998 an autopilot and the urge subsided. Then in 2012 the disease came back and it still ain't run its course! Meeting you at Oshkosh, I think we share the same philosophy of improving what we own. I promised myself that after the ADS-B update, I would slow down. Hmmm... I do however still need to finish that interior.

562c8749125037c72eb3e6319658bb2f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

Great question.  I believe, after just more than 6 years' ownership, that I might have ticked those boxes for my ship, and I do think the aircraft is now in a place where I honestly can't think of anything else it would need to make it "perfect".  Over the last several years, she's received...

- Whelen Orion wingtip and tail LED ACL/Nav lights

- CIES digital fuel senders

- New IO550N engine and prop

- Cockpit redo, including ADS/B-compliant equipment (Lynx 9000+)

- Replaced all the rubber chafing strips on the gear door edges

Aside from that, It's probably time to add seat foam rework and replace the door seals.  The seat leather is in near-perfect shape, but the foam is wearing, so that's probably a new item on the list.  I'll probably tackle door seals at annual this year.

How much of your list have you been able to knock out?

Regards, Steve

I would have to say no. The reason is that out of the last 12 months of ownership, the first two months were getting 88V up to par after several years of "paper" annuals. Then my recent Lynx install, and minor panel improvements as well as unexpected mechanical issue cost me another two months of flying time. I want to fly not relinquish my aircraft to a shop. Knowing now how much time proper avionics installs require, I am happy with my "new to me" KLN 94 gps. A waas unit would be nice, but not necessary for me. An engine monitor sounds awesome, but also more down time replacing sensors. A new interior would be really cool, but again more down time. No, for now I'm happy, as a matter of fact I'm on my way to the airport for an instrument lesson.

This affliction might be more common than we think. I struggled with it for several years with my C where I was always up against the reality that no matter how much I put into it, the C would never be worth more than I'd already spent on it.

Then I got the 252 and the disease is raging unabated. I decided I needed a better engine monitor immediately and bought the EDM-900. Then I debated for some time with myself as to whether I should add an Aspen or upgrade the GNS530 to an Avidyne IFD540 next. And then the train went off the tracks. The Aspen was used off of Barnstormers and "too cheap to pass up." Then Avionics Source had all their Black Friday deals and so I got the IFD 540, but it only made sense to do the AXP322 since that would get ADSB done and Avidyne would throw in the SkyTrax100 free on the deal. Then Chase got me in weak moment and I traded my Garmin audio for a PMA-450a.

During the EDM-900 install we discovered a leaky tank so with that fix it only made sense to do the Cies senders. 

Make it stop!!

• Like 3

I have been innoculated against G. A. S. !  Having spent my early professional life around old airplanes owned by underfunded companies, I can say with confidence that I am now immune.  I've learned just how much utility can be had with minimal equipment.

I certainly admire all of the whiz bang stuff you gents buy, and if I had unlimited AMUs, my plane would rank with the best.  Sadly, I'm nearing retirement and find myself in a position similar to those companies I flew for many years ago.  Therefore I must fly with what is there in the panel, and surprisingly, the job gets done, just as before.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, glafaille said:

Therefore I must fly with what is there in the panel, and surprisingly, the job gets done, just as before.

Wisdom!

As the owner of an "pretty much as built" C, I am constantly amazed at how adequate 1974 technology is at getting me where I need to go efficiently and reliably.

Instead of adding countless expensive speed mods, I live next to my plane saving more time per trip than 20, or 30 extra knot$.

I added a 430W because I had to. (NDB and VOR approaches disappeared).  Other than that, I don't need no stinkin' technology.  I'll  let my well-funded employer buy all that gee-whiz for his planes.

Edited by Mooneymite
  • Like 3

Wisdom!

As the owner of an "pretty much as built" C, I am constantly amazed at how adequate 1974 technology is at getting me where I need to go efficiently and reliably.

You forgot the part about arriving in style. Guess you haven't been to many Mooney fly-ins. Instead of measuring body appendages, we measure gadgetages.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Marauder said:

You forgot the part about arriving in style. Guess you haven't been to many Mooney fly-ins. Instead of measuring body appendages, we measure gadgetages.

This is true.  My plane would be considered "non-threatening".  ;)

• Like 2

Great question.  I believe, after just more than 6 years' ownership, that I might have ticked those boxes for my ship, and I do think the aircraft is now in a place where I honestly can't think of anything else it would need to make it "perfect".  Over the last several years, she's received...

- Whelen Orion wingtip and tail LED ACL/Nav lights

- CIES digital fuel senders

- New IO550N engine and prop

- Cockpit redo, including ADS/B-compliant equipment (Lynx 9000+)

- Replaced all the rubber chafing strips on the gear door edges

Aside from that, It's probably time to add seat foam rework and replace the door seals.  The seat leather is in near-perfect shape, but the foam is wearing, so that's probably a new item on the list.  I'll probably tackle door seals at annual this year.

Regards, Steve

I forgot to ask you Mr. Steven Garmin how that L-3 9000+ interfaces with your G500? I have been reading the ADS-B supplement from Aspen. Lots of cool features with their L-3 integration. Like knowing whether or not that crazy guy in the Piper is going to run into you -- on the ground.

e19c87a278676c5baf5225c568631556.jpg

39 minutes ago, Mooneymite said:

Wisdom!

Instead of adding countless expensive speed mods, I live next to my plane saving more time per trip than 20, or 30 extra knot$.

I added a 430W because I had to. (NDB and VOR approaches disappeared).  Other than that, I don't need no stinkin' technology.  I'll  let my well-funded employer buy all that gee-whiz for his planes.

I hear an ADSB upgrade in your plane's not too distant future.  One of the downsides of being under the Atlanta Bravo.

3 hours ago, StevenL757 said:

Regards, Steve

Since owning my plane I've been able to upgrade the engine monitor to a G3, I added all exterior LED lighting, I upgraded my avionics to Avidyne 440s with an NGT 9000, an MD 93 clock and EI ammeter/volt meter, added a Garmin G5 and hopefully installing the UMA instrument bezel lights and CB panel lighted overlay this weekend. But lots of work left.

and Chris, how happy are you with those lights? Especially when people mistake you for a Citation X at night. :P

• Like 2

Since owning my plane I've been able to upgrade the engine monitor to a G3, I added all exterior LED lighting, I upgraded my avionics to Avidyne 440s with an NGT 9000, an MD 93 clock and EI ammeter/volt meter, added a Garmin G5 and hopefully installing the UMA instrument bezel lights and CB panel lighted overlay this weekend. But lots of work left.
and Chris, how happy are you with those lights? Especially when people mistake you for a Citation X at night. 

The lights have been great. They should be for the amount of money they cost. I did notice one thing about them that I hadn't seen with the old strobes. My airport has a high deer population. I will often see them on the taxiway headed back to my hangar. With the old lights, I was guaranteed they would bolt in front of me to cross the taxiway. The new lights have them mesmerized. They don't move at all.

• Like 1

I'm at a crossroads now where my family and I might outgrow the J. If I end up using the plane for light "commuting" I'm going to upgrade to something with a turbo and ice shedding capability.

Next step is to get it 2020 complaint, get some pretty flashy things and keep adding sensors to the JPI, but nothing major for now.

The one thing that might change my tune is if :

- My AI/DG keel over I'll be looking to something for replacement.

- One of those fancy new experimental autopilots comes through with an STC, I'd be quite tempted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

The lights have been great. They should be for the amount of money they cost. I did notice one thing about them that I hadn't seen with the old strobes. My airport has a high deer population. I will often see them on the taxiway headed back to my hangar. With the old lights, I was guaranteed they would bolt in front of me to cross the taxiway. The new lights have them mesmerized. They don't move at all.

6 hours ago, Marauder said:

You're the devil!

Chris, if you're not careful with your name calling I'll have to tell you about the new taxi/landing light coming out as a PMA's drop in replacement that's got 64 individual LEDs, integrated flashing and puts out 50,000 lumens for only $1,995.  :D

• Like 2