Double wake turbulence encounter

Joe Zuffoletto

Was finally able to get my Acclaim back in the air for the first time this year. Departing ahead of me was a government surveillance plane. It was painted drab gray with no markings except the registration number. It was a high wing, pressurized twin turboprop and had a FLIR camera hanging below the nose. It was butt ugly. I've tried to find pictures of one on Google to no avail.

Always mindful of wake turbulence, I watched its takeoff roll and noted that it lifted off quite a ways down the runway, so I figured I'd be airborne long before crossing its wake. Winds were calm.

Wrong. Right as I retracted the landing gear I fought a slow but persistent and strong uncommanded roll to the left. I didn't roll more than 20 degrees, but I couldn't correct it. After a few seconds it relented and I realized I hit the ugly plane's wake.

A few minutes later, leveled off at about 1,500' AGL, I turned about 20 degrees to the right to join my on course heading. Then the exact same thing happened, except this time it was stronger and rolled me about 30 degrees to the right. In a few seconds it was over.

Haven't encountered wake turbulence in a long time. Even though this encounter was mild, I still don't miss it!

• Like 1

Wake turbulence is a real threat.  Glad you got the Acclaim up!  I've only flown 4 hours this month so far (a BFR earlier in the month and a flight to and from a business meeting today).

Good video I posted a while ago of an An-2 taking out a Robin in europe with Wake Turbulance.

-Seth

• Like 6

If anyone wants to feel true wake turbulence in a relatively controlled environment, come fly formation with any of us in the Mooney Caravan. Even flying in a loose tail configuration, with a couple of thousand feet between planes, if you get a little out of position, you'll feel it. You can get a 40 to 50 degree bank that can't be controlled. Experience it a couple of times, and you'll make sure it never happens anywhere near the ground.

• Like 2

First time I experienced wake turbulence was after a long day of sailing lasers on the SF bay and we were returning to SanLeandro marina which puts you right under short final on the Oakland international as the jets passed over me it spun my little boat around and capsized me in just a couple seconds. Got it writed just as another one passed over and whoosh down I went again.  

• Like 3

In 1986 I lived in Grand Forks, ND and was flying a Cessna 172 into Minneapolis - St. Paul (KMSP) to go see a baseball game. I was told to follow the Boeing 757 turning final. That was only the second 757 I'd ever seen in person. I was probably 3 miles behind it and tried to stay above its' wake but on short final I was all over the place for a few seconds, which seemed like forever - scary. It wasn't too long after that they came out with special guidelines on 757 wake turbulence. 

I remember laser sailing and having somebody or something steal my wind...

One moment you are hiking out over the high side of the hull, feet under the strap in the bilge, planing on the water's surface at (relatively speaking) high speed, everything is so nicely balanced... :)

next thing you know, the sail has luffed, your head is heading for the water, quickly... :(

Hudson river sailing in the mid 80s...  1/2 mile away from NYC.

Thanks for sharing this idea. I now have some more previous experience and logic that I can use again.

Fun times,

-a-

Edited by carusoam
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Joe Zuffoletto said:

Was finally able to get my Acclaim back in the air for the first time this year. Departing ahead of me was a government surveillance plane. It was painted drab gray with no markings except the registration number. It was a high wing, pressurized twin turboprop and had a FLIR camera hanging below the nose. It was butt ugly. I've tried to find pictures of one on Google to no avail.

Always mindful of wake turbulence, I watched its takeoff roll and noted that it lifted off quite a ways down the runway, so I figured I'd be airborne long before crossing its wake. Winds were calm.

Wrong. Right as I retracted the landing gear I fought a slow but persistent and strong uncommanded roll to the left. I didn't roll more than 20 degrees, but I couldn't correct it. After a few seconds it relented and I realized I hit the ugly plane's wake.

A few minutes later, leveled off at about 1,500' AGL, I turned about 20 degrees to the right to join my on course heading. Then the exact same thing happened, except this time it was stronger and rolled me about 30 degrees to the right. In a few seconds it was over.

Haven't encountered wake turbulence in a long time. Even though this encounter was mild, I still don't miss it!

Wes it one of these:

IMG_0003.JPG