DualRatedFlyer

Hello MooneySpace!

McStealth caught my lurking around on one of the forums as a new member and recommended I formally introduced myself to the MooneySpace community.  

How did I end up on MonneySpace?

I have been on the hunt for the past few months for a personal aircraft (still looking if your selling!) that would allow me to travel up and down the east coast to visit family and travel with my wife.  My logbook has a good variety of aircraft flown over the years, but one that has always stood out to me is a Mooney.  In my research on owner opinions of autopilots, fuel tank reseals, and the infamous "E or F model" question, I continue to find my google search results directing me back to MooneySpace as an amazing source of information. 

So thats my introduction, and if anyone has any recommendations for first time buyers let me know!

Thanks for having me.

Edited by DualRatedFlyer
  • Like 3

Welcome aboard DRF!

David was right, it is better to be out in the open when searching for a first airplane.

East coast flying is perfect for a Normally Aspirated Mooney.

Will you be filling the back seats with family?

Will you be using an Instrument Rating?

Best regards,

-a-

@carusoam

Feels good to come out! :)

I imagine 70% of my long range flying (>2 hrs) will be accomplished with family filling all the seats.  I will be using my instrument rating and am looking for something with at least a basic AP and WAAS equipage. Ive been told from other owners that it is almost always a better deal to buy an aircraft with these already installed than to foot the bill for an install post purchase. Interested in hearing others opinion on the matter.

• Like 1

Welcome aboard!

Are those flights with family with kids small or large? I believe we have families flying anything from a C on up. And @Bob_Belville carries four adults in his E (proven by the pictures he takes). I ended up with a mid-body J for the comfort of those unlucky enough to sit behind me when the seats are full.

We will all be glad to give suggestions. Nothing we like better than spending OPM! ;)

You have the good fortune of having your feet in aviation already.

It is a lot less challenging than starting out trying to decide if aviation will work for you.

The economics of purchasing a plane that fits your needs is spot on.  Unfortunately, a plane that comes with everything you want may still clock in over a hundred amu...

check out MS's listings in the plane's for sale section for an idea of known planes for sale... from known MS pilots...

Best regards,

-a-

Just now, Oldguy said:

Welcome aboard!

Are those flights with family with kids small or large? I believe we have families flying anything from a C on up. And @Bob_Belville carries four adults in his E (proven by the pictures he takes). I ended up with a mid-body J for the comfort of those unlucky enough to sit behind me when the seats are full.

We will all be glad to give suggestions. Nothing we like better than spending OPM! ;)

I gotta take some new pics...

IMG_20151030_115458221.jpg

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Oldguy said:

Welcome aboard!

Will be mostly with adults (no children atm).  I have a few pilot buddies as well that wouldn't be apposed to tagging along for the occasional airshow here and there.  

54 minutes ago, carusoam said:

You have the good fortune of having your feet in aviation already.

It is a lot less challenging than starting out trying to decide if aviation will work for you.

The economics of purchasing a plane that fits your needs is spot on.  Unfortunately, a plane that comes with everything you want may still clock in over a hundred amu...

check out MS's listings in the plane's for sale section for an idea of known planes for sale... from known MS pilots...

Best regards,

-a-

@carusoam 

Thanks for the advice.  Keeping a close eye on whats selling.

I forgot to mention...

All American is a business that specializes in pre-owned Mooneys.

They do a great job of finding and presenting planes for sale.  they also do a great job of finishing the details required to help a new owner get the paperwork squared away, and the pilot up to speed with TRansition Training.

I bought a plane there once, but the point is they have a great place to go and see a bunch of different Mooneys that you can actually sit in and get a feeling for...

Just use caution, the place is full of desireable planes. :)

It is a great place to visit.  You will come away highly Mooney educated when you are done.

Best regards,

-a-

11 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

Yeah, you need a M20G or higher, my friend. With your seat pulled back that far in a short body Mooney only a small child would be able to comfortably sit behind you. Short body Mooneys are comparable to short body Cherokees in this regard. 

@bluehighwayflyer

@Oldguy wasnt kidding when he said you guys like to spend OPM ;)

On a serious note, is the cabin difference really that much more?

8 minutes ago, carusoam said:

I forgot to mention...

All American is a business that specializes in pre-owned Mooneys.

They do a great job of finding and presenting planes for sale.  they also do a great job of finishing the details required to help a new owner get the paperwork squared away, and the pilot up to speed with TRansition Training.

I bought a plane there once, but the point is they have a great place to go and see a bunch of different Mooneys that you can actually sit in and get a feeling for...

Just use caution, the place is full of desireable planes. :)

It is a great place to visit.  You will come away highly Mooney educated when you are done.

Best regards,

-a-

@carusoam Sounds like my kind of place.  Ill have to see if I can make up an excuse to take a trip that direction. 

Just now, DualRatedFlyer said:

@bluehighwayflyer

@Oldguy wasnt kidding when he said you guys like to spend OPM ;)

On a serious note, is the cabin difference really that much more?

the F, G and Js got a 5 inch stretch in the rear passenger legroom.  I've carried a 3rd person in my C, but it's cozy.

I ain't selling nothing. Except a little perspective.

It seems to be getting pretty tough to find a nice "E" anyway. There are only 3 Es of any kind in the US, none in the East, on Controller and about 6 on Trade a Plane at the moment. Of course after you eliminate those with 50 year old avionics, no A/P, or are overpriced for what they are they may not be any.

Be prepared to move quickly when something you like comes on the market.  

I second the notion that the extra 10" is worth it.  5 in the back seat and 5 in the luggage compartment.  YOu can put 4 folks in a short body if the front seat occupants keep their seats in the first or second detent, but it will not be roomy.  That exra 10" feels like considerable more. The F also has an extra hour of endurance and a useful load advantage; sometimes a considerable one.

• Like 1

Currently in the northern MD area.  Born and bread in Mayberry NC though. 

East or west side of Northern Maryland? There are a few of us in the area. I have a 75 F that you can certainly come fly with me. Just don't be like that C-5 pilot fro Dover I took up for his first Mooney flight. He flew my plane better than I can do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

East or west side of Northern Maryland? There are a few of us in the area. I have a 75 F that you can certainly come fly with me. Just don't be like that C-5 pilot fro Dover I took up for his first Mooney flight. He flew my plane better than I can do. emoji13.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I heard that was no big deal. :rolleyes: