Wildhorsesracing

To IFR or Not IFR - that is the question.

6 hours ago, kmyfm20s said:

What!....We Mooney pilots are mocked in other GA communities, pray tell? 

I thought that was just bonanza pilots!

• Like 1

*Members that donate $10 or more do not see advertisements*

I haven't read anything in this thread that is condescending toward VFR pilots. Rather I think it's all in the spirit of maybe VFR pilots don't know what they're missing. Don't we all somewhat feel the same way when talking to non-pilots, or pilots who don't own airplanes? It's not that I'm better than you because I'm a pilot. It's "hey, you should learn to fly, you don't know what you're missing." I think being a pilot is the most incredible, wonderful thing I've ever done in my life. 

As an IFR pilot, I feel the same way towards VFR pilots. I just want to say, it's not what you think it is, rather, it's the coolest thing ever. It's not dangerous, it doesn't mean you have to fly when you're not comfortable with the weather, it's not scary, it's not as expensive as you might think. It's beautiful, it's practical, it's like having a time machine. Etc, etc, etc.

I think any of us could make the same statements talking to non-pilots about learning to fly.  I'm glad someone convinced me, finally at 40, to learn to fly. And I'm also glad someone else convinced me to get the instrument rating. It's just so damn cool. I just want VFR pilots to have the same cool experience.

• Like 7

Well for some reason this whole subject has reverted to being a have and a have not.For the sake of Mooney Space unity ,I now propose we Mooney flyers start looking down on the sub pvt pilots!They ain't human...I mean they fly with a phony FAA license for recreation!Dont even have a medical license and can't fly at night or more than 50 nm from where the took off from.I mean they aren't allowed to talk to anybody or fly in controlled airspace.But ,these guys are titans when you compare them to ,cough,ULTRALIGHT PILOTS....annoying flying lawn chairs...no training whatsoever ,have to premix oil in their gas!Not allowed anywhere in the national airspace system!They should all be banned to west Texas with permanent high wind conditions!Dont EVEN get me started on sport parachutist!They are a cult worse than the moonies!They all sleep together in bunk housing in crappy rundown ex hanger buildings and don't shower often enough.I even heard they have frequent unprotected sex!Well what say you all?How about we start picking on somebody smaller (or slower)than us.

• Like 1

A pilot who has been trained for the instrument rating will gain precision in his/her control over their machine and a greater understanding of weather, procedures, flight planning, and FARs.

Going through the training required for the Instrument Rating, both flight and ground,  WILL make you a better pilot.  I did not say it will make you safer, that remains up to the pilot.

Some here at MooneySpace contnue to refute this statement, and some of you may be some of the most proficient pilots in the world. But to say you wouldn't improve even the slightest amount from having structured training in your own airplane is being at least a little disingenuous or obtuse.

It's a challenge. Some people want it, some people don't.  For some, HAVING an instrument rating would be a complete waste of time and money.  But even for those people, DOING the training still has benefits.

Training for the instrument rating made me a more precise and attentative driver, imagine how it helped my flying.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andy95W said:

A pilot who has been trained for the instrument rating will gain precision in his/her control over their machine and a greater understanding of weather, procedures, flight planning, and FARs.

Going through the training required for the Instrument Rating, both flight and ground,  WILL make you a better pilot.  I did not say it will make you safer, that remains up to the pilot.

Some here at MooneySpace contnue to refute this statement, and some of you may be some of the most proficient pilots in the world. But to say you wouldn't improve even the slightest amount from having structured training in your own airplane is being at least a little disingenuous or obtuse.

It's a challenge. Some people want it, some people don't.  For some, HAVING an instrument rating would be a complete waste of time and money.  But even for those people, DOING the training still has benefits.

Training for the instrument rating made me a more precise and attentative driver, imagine how it helped my flying.

This is wisdom! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, thinwing said:

I thought that was just bonanza pilots!

I have been on the other forums this last night and have explained the error of their ways.  They will mock us no more, instead they will bow their heads in reverent respect.  

9 hours ago, thinwing said:

Well for some reason this whole subject has reverted to being a have and a have not.For the sake of Mooney Space unity ,I now propose we Mooney flyers start looking down on the sub pvt pilots!They ain't human...I mean they fly with a phony FAA license for recreation!Dont even have a medical license and can't fly at night or more than 50 nm from where the took off from.I mean they aren't allowed to talk to anybody or fly in controlled airspace.But ,these guys are titans when you compare them to ,cough,ULTRALIGHT PILOTS....annoying flying lawn chairs...no training whatsoever ,have to premix oil in their gas!Not allowed anywhere in the national airspace system!They should all be banned to west Texas with permanent high wind conditions!Dont EVEN get me started on sport parachutist!They are a cult worse than the moonies!They all sleep together in bunk housing in crappy rundown ex hanger buildings and don't shower often enough.I even heard they have frequent unprotected sex!Well what say you all?How about we start picking on somebody smaller (or slower)than us.

Unprotected sex, true story.....

My daughter,  when she was a first year med student, was with me in a local "yummy mummy" cafe (do you have those over there, lots of young mothers who think they are gods gift). Anyway at the end of our table were four newly pregnant mothers gushing about what trimester they were in, what the scans looked like etc.  Vicki, with the dry sense of humour that can only come from an 18yr old, said in a loud voice to me "Dad whats the big fuss about, all they have had is unprotected sex, not difficult really".  One of the women heard and commented, to which Vicki said "well its true, so stop going on about it as though its something magical, babies have been born before you know."  

I have NO idea where she gets it from. :):)  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Unprotected sex, true story.....

My daughter,  when she was a first year med student, was with me in a local "yummy mummy" cafe (do you have those over there, lots of young mothers who think they are gods gift). Anyway at the end of our table were four newly pregnant mothers gushing about what trimester they were in, what the scans looked like etc.  Vicki, with the dry sense of humour that can only come from an 18yr old, said in a loud voice to me "Dad whats the big fuss about, all they have had is unprotected sex, not difficult really".  One of the women heard and commented, to which Vicki said "well its true, so stop going on about it as though its something magical, babies have been born before you know."  

I have NO idea where she gets it from. :):)  

Your daughter was first year med at age 18?I am truely impressed..she inherited some great genes...prob didn't hurt to have a grandfather with his MD history!

I read an article this morning about the privatization of ATC, in it they claimed there will suddenly become many more ex-IFR and VFR pilots w/o flight following since any interaction with ATC will incur a fee.  Not sure that is a good thing, but a good VFR pilot is always looking out the window, not at his/her gauges, so that might not be bad, less chances for mid-air mishaps.

Just now, Wildhorsesracing said:

I read an article this morning about the privatization of ATC, in it they claimed there will suddenly become many more ex-IFR and VFR pilots w/o flight following since any interaction with ATC will incur a fee.  Not sure that is a good thing, but a good VFR pilot is always looking out the window, not at his/her gauges, so that might not be bad, less chances for mid-air mishaps.

I think the bigger risk is all those IFR guys who don't want to pay for ATC services flying in marginal or IMC without those services. Hope I am wrong.

i doubt your wrong, look at the scud runners jeez

6 hours ago, Wildhorsesracing said:

I think if that is the case,there will be a Darwinian reduction of these cheapskate pilots

Yep all public safety should be reduced to for profit enterprise. I can hear the 911 calls now, Visa, MasterCard or American Express?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yep all public safety should be reduced to for profit enterprise. I can hear the 911 calls now, Visa, MasterCard or American Express?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Better yet let's just eliminate ATC altogether. Just make ADS-B compulsory for EVERYBODY and leave IFR separation up to the pilots themselves. Air Force will monitor primary radar for non-squawkers and in cases of non-compliance it's time to scramble the F-16s. Easy peasy.

Example: "O'Hare traffic, United 3545 heavy, 5 miles south at 2,500', inbound for full-stop landing 28R, will cross mid-field @ 2,000' for tear-drop entry into downwind, #2 behind the Citabria".

or

Example: "JFK traffic, Mooney 20FKD, inbound on the ILS 31R, 10 miles out @ 3,000', IMC. Have traffic @ 6 o'clock on my iPad closing at 225 knots, expedite compliance with speed restrictions. If unable make left 360 for spacing."

On 4/3/2017 at 3:17 PM, thinwing said:

I think if that is the case,there will be a Darwinian reduction of these cheapskate pilots

I think you'll see many more VFR pilots flying into smaller airports, might be good for the smaller airports' budgets.

I didn't realize smaller airports have better weather....THATS GOOD TO KNOW!