To IFR or Not IFR - that is the question.

I read an article this morning about the privatization of ATC, in it they claimed there will suddenly become many more ex-IFR and VFR pilots w/o flight following since any interaction with ATC will incur a fee.  Not sure that is a good thing, but a good VFR pilot is always looking out the window, not at his/her gauges, so that might not be bad, less chances for mid-air mishaps.

Just now, Wildhorsesracing said:

I read an article this morning about the privatization of ATC, in it they claimed there will suddenly become many more ex-IFR and VFR pilots w/o flight following since any interaction with ATC will incur a fee.  Not sure that is a good thing, but a good VFR pilot is always looking out the window, not at his/her gauges, so that might not be bad, less chances for mid-air mishaps.

I think the bigger risk is all those IFR guys who don't want to pay for ATC services flying in marginal or IMC without those services. Hope I am wrong.

6 hours ago, Wildhorsesracing said:

I think if that is the case,there will be a Darwinian reduction of these cheapskate pilots

Yep all public safety should be reduced to for profit enterprise. I can hear the 911 calls now, Visa, MasterCard or American Express?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Better yet let's just eliminate ATC altogether. Just make ADS-B compulsory for EVERYBODY and leave IFR separation up to the pilots themselves. Air Force will monitor primary radar for non-squawkers and in cases of non-compliance it's time to scramble the F-16s. Easy peasy.

Example: "O'Hare traffic, United 3545 heavy, 5 miles south at 2,500', inbound for full-stop landing 28R, will cross mid-field @ 2,000' for tear-drop entry into downwind, #2 behind the Citabria".

or

Example: "JFK traffic, Mooney 20FKD, inbound on the ILS 31R, 10 miles out @ 3,000', IMC. Have traffic @ 6 o'clock on my iPad closing at 225 knots, expedite compliance with speed restrictions. If unable make left 360 for spacing."