M20K landing lights which ones ?

scott poms

One of each is correct if you are using the Whelen Parmetheus Plus. Having used both if you are going to spend over $200 my preference is the Teledyne Alphabeam - more useful light. I have a business account with Aircraft Spruce and can get 10% off of the Whelen and 14.5% off of the Teledyne lights. PM me if I can help.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A fellow pilot put these on his bonanza:

http://www.rigidindustries.com/led-lighting?f[0]=field_product_family%3a5036

Specifically the 40 watt spot and the Flood for taxi, extremely impressed with the build quality of this light, heavy metal housing and very solid construction.

The Alphabeams just from the picture look like all plastic.   Anyways may go this route and swap back the GE bulbs during annual, if the mechanic even cares.

Also talked to an installer that installs Whelens and other LED'S on law enforcement vehicles and he said the RIGID are hands down the finest quality light he installs.

Worth looking into as the Bonanza lights up the runway Very well. 

They have Par 36 and 46

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, kortopates said:

If you want the brightest lights, you'll want HID's rather than LED's, but more $

Yes  I did see that, spending a lot of $$ on avionics this year though, need to cut back somewhere, the LED's will be a huge improvement over my GE 4509's.

I know my alternator will like them too  ;-)

• Like 2

On 2/6/2017 at 10:35 AM, kortopates said:

If you want the brightest lights, you'll want HID's rather than LED's, but more $

I would consider this but don't HIDs get fairly hot? I like my Parmetheus because I turn it on before take off and turn it off right before I pull the mixture. Is this something you can leave on all the time? What's the power draw like?

I turned on my Parmetheus to test it after install in Spring '14. Turned it off the first time halfway through my pitot static check Sept. '16. Don't think I've touched the switch since then, it's just On.

Edited by Hank
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say a big plus 1 for the Sunspot 36LX landing lights by AeroLEDs.  Two landing lights was recommended to me over the one landing and one taxi light.  That is what I did and I've been VERY happy with this setup.  These babies turn night into day with essentially no heat and next to zero amperage draw.  Easy to install.  They last forever...some folks recommend running them for the whole flight...I don't. Can try aiming them, but they're so bright you almost don't need too.  I just set these at the same aimpoints as the old GE bulbs.  The first picture is of a Sunspot 36LX burning next to a standard GE bulb.  The third picture is of two Sunspots burning -- one aimed up a bit and the other down a bit.  Sorry, they are obnoxiously bright...and don't stare at the picture because I believe the picture will hurt your eyes...it about blew up my camera...

1AeroLEDplus1GE.jpeg

1AeroLEDplus1GEoff.jpeg

2aeroLEDsON.jpeg

2aeroLEDsOFF.jpeg

Edited by Jsavage3
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 3:51 AM, NotarPilot said:

I would consider this but don't HIDs get fairly hot? I like my Parmetheus because I turn it on before take off and turn it off right before I pull the mixture. Is this something you can leave on all the time? What's the power draw like?

HIDs are cooler than Halogen but generally hotter than LED (depending).

6 hours ago, Vlakvark said:

Where did you order these ones. I woul like to order them to for my M20K 231

AircraftSpruce has them

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 7:56 PM, LANCECASPER said:

I sell the cheaper (Non STC) version which beats the GE incandescent to pieces  for $60 each including shipping for the taxi or landing light. They are amazing for the price. But I would be happy to pass on my discount if you want the others.

Pics of these $60 wonders??? I just spent $25 for another 4522 that a local mechanic had in hand. I needed something to get into SnF

6 minutes ago, Raptor05121 said:

Pics of these $60 wonders??? I just spent $25 for another 4522 that a local mechanic had in hand. I needed something to get into SnF

These might or might not be installed in my 252... depending on hangar fairy activity and backlog

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 1:17 PM, scott poms said:

A fellow pilot put these on his bonanza:

http://www.rigidindustries.com/led-lighting?f[0]=field_product_family%3a5036

Specifically the 40 watt spot and the Flood for taxi, extremely impressed with the build quality of this light, heavy metal housing and very solid construction.

The Alphabeams just from the picture look like all plastic.   Anyways may go this route and swap back the GE bulbs during annual, if the mechanic even cares.

Also talked to an installer that installs Whelens and other LED'S on law enforcement vehicles and he said the RIGID are hands down the finest quality light he installs.

Worth looking into as the Bonanza lights up the runway Very well. 

They have Par 36 and 46

Does he have any pics? I'm very familiar with Rigid Industry's LED lights. They are high dollar, but high quality. Looking at the specs for the PAR46s, I am impressed!

rigid_industries_r2_46_retrofit_led_ligh

They are quoting 4200lumens at 55.8 watts. The Prometheus is only 35W and I think 1800lm or 2,000lm.

I found the Rigids for $330 new, or a few open box models for $265. Whats the legality for installing one of these?

We got the aeroleds Sun Spot 36-4596 going in. Just came out 6 months ago or so, and 100w led that should be brighter than the 4596s that keep burning out that we use now. Supposedly about the brightest par36 you can find (for now). Airplane is in annual now but will try it once it gets out. Its pricey but the Cirrus only has one light, might as well get as bright as possible...

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/aeroledssunspot11-14580.php?clickkey=1329947

• 1 month later...