electronic ignition

Little Dipper

39 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Use the search force, Luke....   :)

Norm, Are you planning on going electronic ignition?

Do you have the 310hp?

Best regards,

-a-

Yes,  I have a 1995 Ovation and replaced the prop and the engine with a 310 hp IO-550N about a month ago.  I got an e-mail this morning about this electronic ignition today and it caught my attention.   They claim it saves 1 to 2 gallons per hour.   I'm thinking if true, that saving a gallon per hour at five dollars per gallon without sacrificing airspeed  over the next two thousand hours would more than justify the cost.   My A&P's initial thoughts were concern over mounting space and if Continental would honor their warranty with this installed.    I just joined this list and appreciate your help.   Thanks.

Norm  

" I don't know of anyone who has that installed, honestly on your airplane things are so tight behind the panel I don't know where all the parts would fit. Seems like a good system/idea I would be willing to install it, just wondering about warranty on the engine."

Rustler

Thanks. This is  my A&P's initial thoughts.   Did you have any behind the panel issues?

Norm

I don't recall the warranty period, but I probably got a dozen hours on the plane before the period expired...

Check and see if it is longer than six months.

I have the 94’ & (N) as well... (factory reman)

The timing on our engines is set to something like 22° BTDC. It would be nice to have a choice of T/O and Climb timing vs cruise and descent timing.

Do you have info on what needs to go behind the panel? Or can it go n from tof the firewall? The O1 has gobs of space compared to other Mooneys...

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

I am not sure I agree to the whole "trusty magneto"  but that said I am having electronic ignition installed in my mooney right now. 

Lightning strike - yeah ok. sure but you also probably should reevaluate where and when you are flying.

I also fly behind two turbine engines both of which have electronic controllers.  I personally think that the fear of new technology has continued to hamper development for our airplanes.   We should have all been flying behind electronic ignition in the 90s and today should be something way cooler and smarter and more fuel efficient.

• Like 6

I did get hit by ball lightning years ago flying between layers many years ago.   That was after FSS told me the convective activity had moved into New Jersey.   I think Mccdeuce's comment about technology is right on.  One could make a compelling argument that the ignition system on my lawn mower is more advanced than the ones in our aircraft.

Norm

8 minutes ago, Little Dipper said:

I did get hit by ball lightning years ago flying between layers many years ago.   That was after FSS told me the convective activity had moved into New Jersey.   I think Mccdeuce's comment about technology is right on.  One could make a compelling argument that the ignition system on my lawn mower is more advanced than the ones in our aircraft.

Norm

True except if your lawn mower gets hit by lightning it doesn't need to find a place to land without it's engine running . . .lol

I hope too that a reliable electronic ignition can be developed for Turbo Charged engines and that we can at least be brought into the last quarter of the 20th Century.

6 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

True except if your lawn mower gets hit by lightning it doesn't need to find a place to land without it's engine running . . .lol

I hope too that a reliable electronic ignition can be developed for Turbo Charged engines and that we can at least be brought into the last quarter of the 20th Century.

The electronic ignition typically only replaces a single magneto.  The other magneto is still available to keep the engine running in case of failure of the EIS.

3 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

If you're talking about the electroair, the install only removes one of the mags. The second mag is still available if the electronic version fails.

I was going to say that.  I believe you have to keep one magneto.  

Just now, LANCECASPER said:

Electroair doesn't do one for Lycoming 6 cylinder Turbos though.

Rustler has one on his K. I talked to the shop that did it, and they said it was an easy approval.

Having said that, as a believer in the APS way out of Ada, OK, I won't be getting one any time soon. 

16 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

34342252-34342252.jpg?crop=1xw:1.0000000

Don't downplay lawn mower emergencies.  It's a thing.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, rbridges said:

34342252-34342252.jpg?crop=1xw:1.0000000

Don't downplay lawn mower emergencies.  It's a thing.  

Or lawn mower moto cross:

Or lawn mower drag racing

Which must be some of the most exciting "motor sports" out there.  Right behind extreme weed-whacker contests.

unfortunately not STCd for our aircraft yet but you also have E-MAG IGNITION all in one compact electronic ignition that is easy to install and has it's own backup generator built in should you lose ship power.  I believe they are working on an STC but we all know how that goes.  Really it should not be that difficult except for the FAA:( given you have 2 ignitions and you are still keeping one old dinosaur style mag installed.

http://www.emagair.com/114-series/

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Piloto said:

Stay away from lightning. A fellow Mooney owner got a prop lightning strike and the electronic ignition when kaput. He went back to the old trusty magneto.

José

I think mags fail spontaneously at a much higher rate than airplanes get struck by lightning.  So you would be safer with EIS.  But best of all, is one of these one of each systems.  One mag and one EIS.

I think EIS is great and I can't wait - but I am waiting for 

http://www.emagair.com

which I do believe is a better unit, and much easier and cheaper to install.  It is mostly just plug and play.  It is better because it has its own built in alternator to keep itself running in the event of a main electrical loss.  Its "supposed to be" certified before tooooooo long.

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, 1964-M20E said:

unfortunately not STCd for our aircraft yet but you also have E-MAG IGNITION all in one compact electronic ignition that is easy to install and has it's own backup generator built in should you lose ship power.  I believe they are working on an STC but we all know how that goes.  Really it should not be that difficult except for the FAA:( given you have 2 ignitions and you are still keeping one old dinosaur style mag installed.

http://www.emagair.com/114-series/

I checked with emagair back in December and it looks like it will be quite awhile.

emag air.pdf

21 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

I think mags fail spontaneously at a much higher rate than airplanes get struck by lightning.  So you would be safer with EIS.  But best of all, is one of these one of each systems.  One mag and one EIS.

I think EIS is great and I can't wait - but I am waiting for 

http://www.emagair.com

which I do believe is a better unit, and much easier and cheaper to install.  It is mostly just plug and play.  It is better because it has its own built in alternator to keep itself running in the event of a main electrical loss.  Its "supposed to be" certified before tooooooo long.

This " emagair " is very similar to snowmobile and motorcycle ignitions , no external power source needed . This set-up work perfectly on those toys , i dont see why it would not work on aircraft engines . Most likely more reliable than magnetos . If only the FAA ........ 

Edited by Alain B

Stay away from lightning. A fellow Mooney owner got a prop lightning strike and the electronic ignition when kaput. He went back to the old trusty magneto.
José

This is the problem with ground connected to negative side of the DC system, I prefer to see a separate ground connecting engine, fuselage, and static wicks.