electronic ignition

Little Dipper

4 hours ago, teejayevans said:

This is the problem with ground connected to negative side of the DC system, I prefer to see a separate ground connecting engine, fuselage, and static wicks.

Aluminum cowlings provide an electric shield to anything in the engine area. But composite cowling provides no protection against electrically charged atmosphere.

José

Norm--

Sorry for the delay.

The install went easily, but it IS tight in places. We really thought it through while installing, and it turned out very clean.

I've had no problems with it. My engine temps are a little cooler, and I probably save in the neighborhood of 0.25-0.5 gph. I haven't flown near lightning. I live at 7100', so I don't see the performance enhancements that a normally aspirated engine sees at sea level, but I do experience smoother ignition and faster starts.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Rustler said:

Norm--

Sorry for the delay.

The install went easily, but it IS tight in places. We really thought it through while installing, and it turned out very clean.

I've had no problems with it. My engine temps are a little cooler, and I probably save in the neighborhood of 0.25-0.5 gph. I haven't flown near lightning. I live at 7100', so I don't see the performance enhancements that a normally aspirated engine sees at sea level, but I do experience smoother ignition and faster starts.

Curious if the electronic mag replaced a pressurized magneto (vs unpressurized) and to what altitude you have been able to observe their performance? Also what your original mag setup was, like Bendix or Slick and both impulse or something else?

Edited by kortopates

Paul--

In April 2016, we removed a Bendix pressurized magneto and replaced it with the ElectroAir unit. That mag was sent for inspection, which revealed a cracked case; it was repaired and returned to service at annual in October. I have been to 17,500' with the electronic unit without problem. In fact, while up there, I shut down the Bendix to see what would happen: basically nothing.