VFR squawk codes

The tower controllers only have a "Bright" display. It is a video image of the TRACONs radar screen. They can't enter information into the radar's computer. When you ident it makes your tag flash, so they know where you are, but they can't tag it.

I think Canada has an air traffic radar system made some time after the sixties....

In Canada, when arriving or departing a controlled field VFR, the controllers almost always assign a discrete code.  In the US, they almost never do, and I keep 1200 after ident.
why is that? Do they just manually tag my tail# when I ident? 

Cyril -- this is true for Class D airports. They are not providing radar separation although as Turbo (I got to figure out what his real name is) mentioned above many Class D towers have a Brite display and can see what the overlying radar facility sees. They just aren't responsible for separation services.

For Class B, C and TRSAs and enroute (flight following), you will find that you are assigned a unique code. I have never contacted any of those facilities and not been given a unique code.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, M20Doc said:

I've often wondered why so few here sign their post with a name, real or fake?

Clarence

Swerving thread drift alert, hold on tightly, stay with me,   :)!

1) Fear of releasing too much personal information on the open internet is a large driver for some secrecy.

2) Then you find the FAA posts more personal information about you  (but not the whole world) including your home address.

3) Then you find flightaware posts where you are or aren't.  Google has a picture of your tiedown if you are outside.

4) the benefit of being a very open site is we collect many people that are in the budding stage of developing interest in Mooneys.

5) There is an advantage using randomly selected names.  As a public person, teacher, doctor, or any other profession, there are some times you may want to ask a goofy question but can't let your guard down where one's goofiness is on display infinitely.  Google is a very powerful tool.

6) where there is and advantage of letting one's guard down, people are including their names and business address / website in their signature line.

7) where things have become challenging...  we used to have a list of members that was easily accessible.  The usual posters could be found easily in the list sorted by number of posts.

9) As for me, I'm retired. My closest friends just call me -a-.

10) The more Mooney drivers you know comes with a price... hang here long enough you really get to know some old guys that inevitably fly west, some young guys that accidently fly west, and some middle age guys that have the misfortion of flying west.

11) The most important part...  the more you get to know Mooney drivers, the more you can learn about being a Mooney driver, the better your chances are of avoiding flying west before your time...  shared experience is everything.

12) Some people around here get several names, Mooney Mike is called 201er and has a call name that has been attached to him by the formators.

Hope this swerve was worth the read and was warm and informational!

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam