With a GTX345 do I need a Flightstream 210 to wirelessly stream data?

RobertE

10 minutes ago, RobertE said:

Boy, I'm relying a lot on this forum.

i'm confused about the need to use the Flightstream 210 when paired with a GTX345.  Doesn't a GTX345 have Bluetooth?  If so, can't that transmit to my iPad foreflight without Flightstream?

That is the one function Garmin left out of the GTX 345.

IIRC, the 345 DOES have bluetooth to get WX and traffic, but it does NOT transmit info BACK to the Garmin (i.e. flightplan).  I also (and don't quote me on this one) think it may not send AHRS data to the ipad, only WX and traffic...

I ended up getting both, and now rarely touch my 430w.  I send everything to it from the iPad.

10 hours ago, RobertE said:

Boy, I'm relying a lot on this forum.

i'm confused about the need to use the Flightstream 210 when paired with a GTX345.  Doesn't a GTX345 have Bluetooth?  If so, can't that transmit to my iPad foreflight without Flightstream?

Yes, the GTX345 will transmit to Foreflight without the FS210.  The best I can tell, the ONLY thing adding the FS210 will add is the ability to create a flightplan on your tablet at home, and then when you get the plane, send it to your GTN650/750 or GNS430/530.  And I think you can also keep them sync'd up in flight too.  That is, if you make a change in one, you can sync it with the other.

Being a CSOB, it wasn't worth $999 + install.  Especially with the GTN650, it takes me less than a minute to enter my flightplan and I don't especially care if the correct flightplan is entered into Garmin Pilot on my tablet.  As a matter of fact, I will sometimes intentionally put the wrong route of flight into Pilot by adding extra airports along the way so I'll have quicker access to charts if I need them.  And I'll usually enter my alternates at the end of the plan in Pilot too.

2 hours ago, Bob - S50 said:

Yes, the GTX345 will transmit to Foreflight without the FS210.  The best I can tell, the ONLY thing adding the FS210 will add is the ability to create a flightplan on your tablet at home, and then when you get the plane, send it to your GTN650/750 or GNS430/530.  And I think you can also keep them sync'd up in flight too.  That is, if you make a change in one, you can sync it with the other.

Being a CSOB, it wasn't worth $999 + install.  Especially with the GTN650, it takes me less than a minute to enter my flightplan and I don't especially care if the correct flightplan is entered into Garmin Pilot on my tablet.  As a matter of fact, I will sometimes intentionally put the wrong route of flight into Pilot by adding extra airports along the way so I'll have quicker access to charts if I need them.  And I'll usually enter my alternates at the end of the plan in Pilot too.

I too am a cheap bastard and also sometimes have routes cooked into my foreflight on the ipad that differ from what I've told the 430W I'm going to do.  Thanks, everyone.

If I owned a 430 or 530 I would consider adding the FlightStream to be able to get the upload of airways to the flight plan in the GNS. The GTN series allow selection of Victor airways and if I am not mistaken, you need to define that airway in the GNS products.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DMJones said:

IIRC, the 345 DOES have bluetooth to get WX and traffic, but it does NOT transmit info BACK to the Garmin (i.e. flightplan).  I also (and don't quote me on this one) think it may not send AHRS data to the ipad, only WX and traffic...

I ended up getting both, and now rarely touch my 430w.  I send everything to it from the iPad.

The GTX 345 does send AHRS data (via bluetooth) to the iPad.

4 hours ago, Marauder said:

If I owned a 430 or 530 I would consider adding the FlightStream to be able to get the upload of airways to the flight plan in the GNS. The GTN series allow selection of Victor airways and if I am not mistaken, you need to define that airway in the GNS products.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You are not mistaken.  A lot of knob turning to add all of the VORs and intersections (when needed) that define the route.  I save a ton of time now with the 650 by being able to load the airways, especially on long trips out west that cannot go direct due to those big, granite pointy things getting in the way...  

If I had the 430W still, I'd be looking at the FS210 to make transfers and route changes easier.  Not a consideration for me now as others above said.

Cheers,

Brian

• Like 2

Don't under-estimate the utility of the flight plan transfer. It's extremely helpful. I have it, would not want to be without it. Here are a few real-life examples:

Plan a new VFR trip in the comfort of your home on your iPad. Maybe there are a lot of waypoints due to mountains and MOA's, etc. In the runup, upload to the GTN, and you are off. No time wasted pressing buttons on the GTN.

Plan an IFR trip. Use GP to find ATC typical route. File that. Get the cleared route back from ATC. Upload that to the GTN, before you even have received the clearance from ground control.

Or my favorite, get a route update on an IFR flight on the iPad via cellular, before you even get the "route update, report when ready to copy" ATC transmission. After you have had the ATC conversation, push it to the GTN.

Larry

• Like 1