Plane and Pilot mag says 20F is a great buy,

charheep

Agreed, but more than one pilot on this board has neglected to lock the gear in the up position and later while in cruise had the gear drop at 150kts. Miraculously, the doors maintain their shape and integrity during such events. 

I believe the worst situation is trying to raise them at high speed. Those with manual gear know how the load builds. Gear drive can be damaged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, gsengle said:

I believe the worst situation is trying to raise them at high speed. Those with manual gear know how the load builds. Gear drive can be damaged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I managed to do it with just my right arm. It was a tad embarrassing as I had my girlfriend's step dad who was a pilot sitting right seat.  The 200hp machines won't do much over 125kts with the gear down in level flight.

37 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

I managed to do it with just my right arm. It was a tad embarrassing as I had my girlfriend's step dad who was a pilot sitting right seat.  The 200hp machines won't do much over 125kts with the gear down in level flight.

If I were doing 125 kts with the gear down I believe I'd pull the nose up pretty sharply to lose about 50 kts before I tried to put the JBar on the floor. But I'm only 210 pounds, maybe one of you young fatties could get it into the floor lock.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

If I were doing 125 kts with the gear down I believe I'd pull the nose up pretty sharply to lose about 50 kts before I tried to put the JBar on the floor. But I'm only 210 pounds, maybe one of you young fatties could get it into the floor lock.

Easy now, I was about 180lbs at the time just as I am now (I've gained 30lbs of useful load since Nov 1).  The funny thing is that ths was years ago when I was green in the Mooney with maybe 250TT and when I saw the J-bar just kind of sticking up there next to me, my first reaction was to quickly secure it (in the down position) before before my right seater (girlfriend's step dad) noticed.  After studying the ASI, I realized what I had done. I then put had try to be cool about putting the gear up. I managed, but it wasn't as effortless as I'd hoped.  

• Like 1