Plane and Pilot mag says 20F is a great buy,

charheep

31 minutes ago, 1964-M20E said:

And an F with manual gear is the best buy of all IMHO :D

Mooney should have never strayed from manual gear again IMHO :) or at least offered manual as an option.  You still can get a car  with manual transmission though very rare.

Those of us with right shoulder issues are glad to have electric gear. Besides, I keep approach plates on the floor below the quadrant, and keep charts, water bottles, etc., on the floor between the seats. Can't do either with manual gear, it's all right where the J-bar goes.

• Like 3

I have a 1968 F, I mean 2014 J, I mean 2014 MSE, professionally appraised for $206,000.00.  With this article, how much do you think I can get?
John Breda

With this group of Cheap Bast$&ds, you'll need to pay them to take it off of your hands.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

Knock on wood, in almost 2 decades I"ve never had a problem with my electric gear. I did change the 20:1 for 40:1 gears though so the system is under less stress.  I guess I wouldn't mind the manual gear so much as the odd pump system of the flaps that comes with it. Not sure why Mooney made such a complex system for flaps on the manual gear.

-Robert

Knock on wood, in almost 2 decades I"ve never had a problem with my electric gear. I did change the 20:1 for 40:1 gears though so the system is under less stress.  I guess I wouldn't mind the manual gear so much as the odd pump system of the flaps that comes with it. Not sure why Mooney made such a complex system for flaps on the manual gear.

-Robert

Does the 40:1 give you a higher extension speed?

54 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

-Robert

Especially when the A and B models the flaps were purely mechanical with linkages not hydraulics.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Does the 40:1 give you a higher extension speed?

It reduces the stress on the gears (and the motor presumably) by cutting the speed in 1/2. The Mooney electric gear is already uncommonly quick to come down. Even with 40:1 its several times faster than the Bo gear. With the 40:1 the gears last longer. 

-Robert

Robert -- thanks, I understand the benefit of the ratio. Just curious if the 40:1 allows you to extend you gear at a higher airspeed. It was my understanding that the enabling feature that allowed the Js a higher VLo was the higher ratio gear motor. What I am not sure is whether the inner gear doors allowed a higher VLo or they were needed to obtain the higher VLe (if it had any role at all).

My question is whether your 104 KIAS limitation has changed to the early J range (something in the 129 KIAS, might be higher)?

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

Robert -- thanks, I understand the benefit of the ratio. Just curious if the 40:1 allows you to extend you gear at a higher airspeed. It was my understanding that the enabling feature that allowed the Js a higher VLo was the higher ratio gear motor. What I am not sure is whether the inner gear doors allowed a higher VLo or they were needed to obtain the higher VLe (if it had any role at all).

My question is whether your 104 KIAS limitation has changed to the early J range (something in the 129 KIAS, might be higher)?

Practically? I'm not sure. Legally, I don't see anything that alters the gear extension speed based on this conversion.

http://www.mooney.com/en/si/M20-112_Rev_A.pdf

-Robert

Practically? I'm not sure. Legally, I don't see anything that alters the gear extension speed based on this conversion.
http://www.mooney.com/en/si/M20-112_Rev_A.pdf

-Robert

Yep, no mention of any changes to gear speed. Hopefully someone will come along and provide what made the change happen from the 104 KIAS VLo/VLe to the higher speeds on the J.

2 hours ago, Marauder said:

Yep, no mention of any changes to gear speed as gsengle states. Hopefully someone will come along and provide what made the change happen from the 104 KIAS VLo/VLe to the higher speeds on the J.

Indeed the gear doors that are the limiting factor as. However, I have it on good authority that they will tolerate speeds much higher without breaking or deforming.

6 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

-Robert

What on earth is complicated about the Mooney hydraulic flap system?  The biggest problem with the hydraulic flap system is that it requires so little maintenance, that few folks have experience servicing them. Mooney specific shops get to service them occasionally.  If you've heard they are complicated you've been misinformed.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, gsengle said:

The issue is the load placed on the drive by the wind on gear doors in transit. That's why that's the lowest speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed, but more than one pilot on this board has neglected to lock the gear in the up position and later while in cruise had the gear drop at 150kts. Miraculously, the doors maintain their shape and integrity during such events. 

• Like 1