Avidyne 10.2 Release Appears Imminent

KLRDMD

9 hours ago, Pirate said:

I talked with my highly respected avionics shop at RFD today. 

The shop stated they did a 540 yesterday and bricked it, sent it back to Avidyne. 

Think I'll wait for them to do several  first.

I will be happy to pay a few hundered in shop labor, it's chump change for what I'm going to get in this upgrade. 

Pardon my ignorance but what does "bricked it" mean?

On 3/7/2017 at 0:07 PM, LANCECASPER said:

It's definitely not plug and ignore. You have to write down or take pictures of all of the configurations both in maintenance mode (12 screens) and regular mode and several times throughout the update it will prompt you for responses and then at the end you have to do the conformity check and cross check the number of every data packet. Two hours is fair.

Mine was done last night and we were in the hangar well over two hours

I have dual 440s which are connected and cross feed. Do you know if I can update them simultaneously or will it be 2 hours plus 2 hours to get them both updated?

2 hours ago, NotarPilot said:

Pardon my ignorance but what does "bricked it" mean?

It means its dead.  Dead like a brick  My dealer bricked one for the 10.1 update.  That update was quite complicated.  This 10.2 update is supposed to be easy.  It just wipes out the settings.  So just write them down before you start and better yet take pictures of the screens.

Edited by tony

Some Modern electronics can be turned into bricks, either intentionally (like when reported stolen) or unintentionally (like when a software update goes afoul...)

As Paul/Rocket indicated Avidyne does have some support forums...

http://forums.avidyne.com/default.asp

Our Avidyne contact is Simpson Bennett, screen name avisimpson. https://mooneyspace.com/profile/13762-avisimpson/

Best regards,

-a-

4 hours ago, NotarPilot said:

I have dual 440s which are connected and cross feed. Do you know if I can update them simultaneously or will it be 2 hours plus 2 hours to get them both updated?

It depends on whether they have downloaded the software twice on separate usb drives from Avidyne. There's a lot more to it that just sticking the drive in and coming back in two hours. All settings have to be written down from each unit and then both need to be conformity checked at the end. So it will definitely take them longer than two hours even if they have it on two usb drives. It is very detailed - I'm not sure I'd want them doing two at once. If they mess it up then the unit needs to go back to Avidyne. If it was mine I'd want them to take their time and concentrate on what they are doing. If you are taking it back where to the shop that did the work initially they may cut you a break, looking for future business.

• Like 1

Sorry for not posting here sooner, as you can imagine it's been a busy past few days and I am also on the road.

Anyways, back to the topics:

1. Both the PC and iPad simulator have been updated to the 10.2 software
  2. The IFD100 iPad app is going through the Apple Store approval and should be available shortly
  3. 10.2 is available through your Avidyne dealer
  4. There have been reports of a box or two being "bricked" however, it was because they did not follow the Service Bulletin instructions
  5. We recommend updating one IFD at a time, however, it is possible to update multiple IFDs at once.
  6. The update can take anywhere from 60 to 90 minutes depending on what software level the IFD is at.

We are very excited to finally have 10.2 in our customers hands and are very confident you will be happy (even after the wait)

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, AviSimpson said:

Sorry for not posting here sooner, as you can imagine it's been a busy past few days and I am also on the road.

Anyways, back to the topics:

1. Both the PC and iPad simulator have been updated to the 10.2 software
  2. The IFD100 iPad app is going through the Apple Store approval and should be available shortly
  3. 10.2 is available through your Avidyne dealer
  4. There have been reports of a box or two being "bricked" however, it was because they did not follow the Service Bulletin instructions
  5. We recommend updating one IFD at a time, however, it is possible to update multiple IFDs at once.
  6. The update can take anywhere from 60 to 90 minutes depending on what software level the IFD is at.

We are very excited to finally have 10.2 in our customers hands and are very confident you will be happy (even after the wait)

Thanks Simpson :)

I've done every update myself (with a sign off)) the past two plus years (M20R and M20M) and the instructions that Avidyne provides are very detailed. The shop would rather I do it since they don't want to "brick" a unit. Most shops haven't done too many, if any of these. Don't skip a word and don't get in a hurry and it works. Measure twice and cut once. I'm sure I take longer, but am more methodical than most getting paid an hourly wage to do it on someone else's airplane. 

9 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

I've done every update myself (with a sign off)) the past two plus years (M20R and M20M) and the instructions that Avidyne provides are very detailed. The shop would rather I do it since they don't want to "brick" a unit. Most shops haven't done too many, if any of these. Don't skip a word and don't get in a hurry and it works. Measure twice and cut once. I'm sure I take longer, but am more methodical than most getting paid an hourly wage to do it on someone else's airplane. 

This is a bit scary. If the unit gets bricked does Avidyne repair it under warranty or is there a repair charge?

Hey guys, it's official ... 10.2 was approved by the FAA last week and is available for pilots via their avionics shops. The 100 app has been submitted to apple for placement in their App Store and should be available to the public in about 3 weeks.

8 hours ago, Ocalafly said:

Hey guys, it's official ... 10.2 was approved by the FAA last week and is available for pilots via their avionics shops. The 100 app has been submitted to apple for placement in their App Store and should be available to the public in about 3 weeks.

Hahahah... @LANCECASPER broke this news three pages back and within minutes of the actual release.

#trytokeepup ;)

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

What is the trainer app called on the App Store. I can't find it for love nor money. 

It only shows up if you connect from an iPad. You won't find it from a phone or laptop. Search for IFD or Avidyne.

On 3/10/2017 at 4:14 AM, NotarPilot said:

This is a bit scary. If the unit gets bricked does Avidyne repair it under warranty or is there a repair charge?

I talked to tech support about this very issue.  If an Avidyne shop bricks the unit, it will be covered under warranty.  If an owner/operator bricks a unit, it will not be covered under warranty.  The flat fee repair is one AMU.  

On 3/10/2017 at 4:14 AM, NotarPilot said:

I talked to tech support about this very issue.  If an Avidyne shop bricks the unit, it will be covered under warranty.  If an owner/operator bricks a unit, it will not be covered under warranty.  The flat fee repair is one AMU.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tony said:

yes all the guts probably don't cost more than a couple hundred bucks take one or more boards off the assembly line put it in your case and off you go.:)

1 hour ago, 1964-M20E said:

yes all the guts probably don't cost more than a couple hundred bucks take one or more boards off the assembly line put it in your case and off you go.:)

Probably doesn't need any hardware changed, just a hard reset and factory reprogram, like initially programming a freshly-built unit.