Avidyne 10.2 Release Appears Imminent

KLRDMD

15 hours ago, peevee said:

Have the keyboard. Haven't used it. No need.

My wife and navigator loves it ,it was bouncy and we were getting lots of reroutes....we have the keyboard mounted in its 3D printed holder mounted on top of clearance book...like this :

IMG_2751.JPG

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Maybe someone here like avisimpson can help.

just had my dealer do the upgrade. Took it out to fly it today and noticed that all my Bluetooth, WIFI, and such are now off. Went to set up and they are no longer highlighted. Soooooo I called the avionics guy but I'm sure he's off today. Any ideas? 

Just now, Supercop0184 said:

just had my dealer do the upgrade. Took it out to fly it today and noticed that all my Bluetooth, WIFI, and such are now off. Went to set up and they are no longer highlighted. Soooooo I called the avionics guy but I'm sure he's off today. Any ideas? 

You need to call tech support. This is a known issue, most often seen if you didn't have the tail # input correctly in the setup page before the update. They'll send you a file to install that should make all OK but the'll need your serial number, etc.

On 4/22/2017 at 9:36 AM, thinwing said:

My wife and navigator loves it ,it was bouncy and we were getting lots of reroutes....we have the keyboard mounted in its 3D printed holder mounted on top of clearance book...like this :

IMG_2751.JPG

How would one get a 3D printed keyboard holder?

IMG_2751.thumb.JPG.0929c345d72b1e22552aa5ae6e14def7.JPG

Hey, I saw that this weekend....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, Supercop0184 said:

Maybe someone here like avisimpson can help.

Like Ken said, call or email our Tech Support team (888-723-7592 or techsupp(at)avidyne.com). Let them know you need your WiFi and BT turned on, they will need your IFD serial number, tail number and email address to send you a .dsf file to correct the issue. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AviSimpson said:

Like Ken said, call or email our Tech Support team (888-723-7592 or techsupp(at)avidyne.com). Let them know you need your WiFi and BT turned on, they will need your IFD serial number, tail number and email address to send you a .dsf file to correct the issue. 

Thanks buddy!! I will. 

Am I gonna have to "convince them" that they were options I had turned on before or should it's be pretty seamless? Thanks for your help. Hate it when things don't go as planned!!

18 hours ago, Supercop0184 said:

Thanks buddy!! I will. 

Am I gonna have to "convince them" that they were options I had turned on before or should it's be pretty seamless? Thanks for your help. Hate it when things don't go as planned!!

Nope, you do not need to convince them of anything, it should be pretty seamless.

The latest release of foreflight 9.1 and the avidyne 10.2 update should enable a 2 way connection according to the foreflight 9.1 release notes. Has anyone tried this and can they share how they got it to work?  was it via Bluetooth?  via wifi?  need a stratus in between?  

11 hours ago, tony said:

The latest release of foreflight 9.1 and the avidyne 10.2 update should enable a 2 way connection according to the foreflight 9.1 release notes. Has anyone tried this and can they share how they got it to work?  was it via Bluetooth?  via wifi?  need a stratus in between?  

The connection is via WiFi and doesn't require a Stratus since the WiFi is coming from the IFDs.

10 hours ago, mccdeuce said:

Seems to work - but still doesn't have ADSB in the outstream.  Will try and set Stratus up as main hub tomorrow and see how it all works out. 

I believe 9.1 just supports the flight plan transferring. A subsequent release will hopefully take advantage of the ADS-B output for any customers with a SkyTrax hooked up to their IFD.

29 minutes ago, AviSimpson said:

I believe 9.1 just supports the flight plan transferring. A subsequent release will hopefully take advantage of the ADS-B output for any customers with a SkyTrax hooked up to their IFD.

So based on your response I would interpret that y'all have already implemented ADSB out in the data stream and that it is now up to Foreflght to implement its use. 

8 hours ago, AviSimpson said:

The connection is via WiFi and doesn't require a Stratus since the WiFi is coming from the IFDs.

Doesn't require but is there a way to connect up all three?  I really don't want to loose  traffic and weather off of the iPad.  

Groundhog Day.

I have wanted to configure the IFD440 wifi as described below and have it work as described since I installed the unit in April. I have talked/emailed Avidyne Tech Support. They are very responsive and try and help, but cannot.  They've told me it's ForeFlight's issue, which by association, a Stratus issue  

I have weather and traffic from Stratus2 on my iPad, and want to take advantage of bidirectional flight plan sharing between the IFD and ForeFlight. I have failed up until ForeFlight 9.1.  I don't know if ForeFlight 9.1 fixes this, but I have my doubts. Nowhere in the ForeFlight Pilot Guide for 9.1 does it speak to a Wifi config that would be needed for it to work with both Stratus and the IFD.  

See the instructions that I pulled from the IFD440 Installation Manual, below. I only wish it worked as described!!!  Maybe someone can prove me wrong, now that ForeFlight 9.1 has been released. Maybe the real issues is the need for a firmware update for Stratus, so that it can accept the IFD as a client, but who's driving this??  AviSimpson, what say you?? (BTW, the subsequent screenshots in the Installation Manual that describe the process are wrong.)

"7.5.14.1.2 Configuring the IFD as a Client to an External WAP 

In some cases, an aircraft may have an existing WAP in use. For example, some aircraft may be accustomed to connecting 3rd party iPad applications to a Stratus ADS-B receiver.  These pilots will likely wish to also have access to the IFD from their iPads. In order to achieve this configuration, the IFD must be configured to connect to the Stratus receiver. This will allow tablet devices to access data from both the Stratus and the IFD simultaneously..."

And the Installation Manual goes on to intruct you how to do this. But it hasn't worked for me...

Yesterday I set up the IFD in remote mode connecting the IFD to my stratus. iPad connects to stratus network but also sees the IFD and can transfer flight plans. Worked as advertised. 

@PeytonM if you have your iPad and stratus working right together leave them. Then go into configuration on the IFD set the Remote SSID to that of your Stratus. (Should be Stratus+serialnumber) finally change mode from local to remote. Once complete turn on everything give it a second and on settings/devices on ForeFlight you will now see both stratus and IFD. 

@AviSimpson it would be nice if there was a quick way to change between remote and local network modes without going into the setup. For example my Stratus dies in flight and I don't have to reset my IFD to swap the connection. 

• Like 1

Ok I'm gonna (see I can speak American). Put my CIO networking hat on and see if I can help. 
From what I understand of network protocols I can't see how the iPad can connect to the stratus and the IFD at the same time as it can only have one wifi network connection as it only has one "network card". This is a limitation of the iPad.  I would assume that the stratus has the same issue, i.e. You should be able to get it to connect to your ifd no problem at all, but to have both it won't allow as basically it doesn't know where to sends its data on its single channel wifi connection.  
So can you connect the ifd direct to the stratus?
yes?  Good you can get all your data onto the ifd
can you then get the iPad to connect to the stratus?
yes brilliant.  
No then that is because the IFD's wifi channel is occupied by the stratus.  You could possibly try to in this instance connect the iPad to the ifd us By a different channel config in the wifi on the iPad. 
This is not a foreflight app level issue  but a network protocol issue.  No new release of foreflight etc will resolve this.  
Andrew

Unless a Bluetooth connection can achieve the link for one of the devices, or one of the devices can effectively relay the info.

I did think about that, lets see what the tests i asked him to do prove, then we csn move from there.  In all cases it simat os level not app level.

Yes and no, the app would need some work too, as might the devices in question.... but yes it would be a workaround in a way for a hardware limitation. (putting on my CTO hat)

Then again wifi was created for attaching to a network and all these little standalone wifi servers are a bit of a hack themselves...

I don't know, it works as advertised for me as well. Simply turn on the Stratus and connect your iPad as usual. Set the IFD to remote mode to act as a client, and connect it the Stratus as well. Now you have a nice little wifi network in the cockpit with the Stratus as the hotspot. Everything can talk to everything else.

As @mccdeuce says, you have to go into the Setup on the IFD to switch between the default "local mode" and "remote mode".

• Like 1