Avidyne 10.2 Release Appears Imminent

KLRDMD

Last comment . . . Garmin and Aspen both charge big bucks for synthetic vision. Avidyne's update is not mandatory. They are not charging anything for it for their present customers, they're just asking you to pay the shop who installs it for you. If you don't think it's worth a couple hours of the shop's time to install it, that's a personal choice, go ahead and stay with 10.1.3. But don't be upset with them because they are adding features at no charge and not reaping any of the money for it.

4 hours ago, peevee said:

GM doesn't charge me to flash new software to my car. This is no different. Statement still stands.

I don't think it's fair to compare the automotive business with the general aviation industry.  We all piss and moan about how expensive GA is but if Avidyne had to pay everyone's Avionic's shop for 2 hours of work for an upgrade that would only add to the cost of the product.  What if a customer is completely happy with 10.1 and have no desire to upgrade?  How does Avidyne take those numbers into consideration if they're going to figure these costs into the price of their products while trying to remain competitive with Garmin and BendixKing?

The auto and aviation industries are different and cannot be compared.  If your 5 year old GM has a defective airbag, GM sends you a notice and pays to replace it.  Why? Because they can because of economies of scale.  Plus, I think they have to by law.  If your 5 year old Mooney gets an AD, guess who pays for it?  (Hint, it's not Mooney)

Ok so several questions --- about the IFD-440.
1) how do I get the 10.2 upgrade
2) is the 440 also effected by this "glitch"...if so do I have the glitch now? If I don't have it now will
I have it after I do the upgrade which I'm not sure how to do?
I have the IFD 440 / AXP 340 transponder/ sky trac 100.

It was tested on install in may 2016 and showed to all work. Should i have any concerns?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe at Avidyne told me if its in warranty, the `10.2 update is free. otherwise it costs.

I flew both the IFD540 and the GTN750, and spent a lot of time using the simulators for both. Although I feel the IFD has much more features, such as altitude/crossing restrictions on the flightplan, TOD alert, FLT-A alerting, and so forth, the screen is just too small, especially with the flightplan or the data blocks up.  Also, a big one for me was no altitudes on the moving map for the Class B shelves. I know i have an iPad, but I should have to rely on that for staying clear under class B instead of my 15K panel mount GPS. If it was GTN-sized, it would be no question.  The other thing is the missing deadlines by over a year. Thats simply not acceptable.

So we bought a GTN-750.  A used one, because new is insane,  16K with tax, and installation extra.

Edited by jetdriven

3 hours ago, jetdriven said:

The other thing is the missing deadlines by over a year. Thats simply not acceptable.

You should come to California and see our bullet train that's 7 years behind schedule and short on funds by around $55 billion but still choo-chooing along thanks to our crazy governor.

Sorry for the thread drift.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NotarPilot said:

You should come to California and see our bullet train that's 7 years behind schedule and short on funds by around $55 billion but still choo-chooing along thanks to our crazy governor.

Sorry for the thread drift.

Oh..I think the condition of Dams and roads ,etc should slow down Gov Moonbeams bullet train expenditure 

Geezz   sounds like you want something for nothing.

You are getting the update for free.  As mentioned by other members, you do not need to install it or use it.

If you want to use the software, then pay for the labor to have it installed and signed off or hack it into your system some how.  

Either you get it done or don't get it at all. 

Why talk trash -- doesn't bring anything good.  If you don't like it, sell your unit and get rid of it -- which will solve your problem.

I don't keep things I don't like but I don not complain about it either.

I think the other members were VERY PATIENT AND GENEROUS by trying to explain scenarios. 

MY 10 CENTS!

• Like 3

The bulk of us want this software and have been waiting for it for a long time. 

As thinwing pointed out, let's get back on topic.  This is a community for helping other members solve issues and skill knowledge transfer .

I am interested if the symbology is now showing?

If any users having traffic faults are they now resolved?

By chance any TIS / FIS data show up on your Aspen(s) :-) especially if everything is turned on and already pre-wired.

Curious minds would like to know.

4 hours ago, thinwing said:

Back to topic..anybody having any issues with 10.2 install?

I talked with my highly respected avionics shop at RFD today. 

The shop stated they did a 540 yesterday and bricked it, sent it back to Avidyne. 

Think I'll wait for them to do several  first.

I will be happy to pay a few hundered in shop labor, it's chump change for what I'm going to get in this upgrade. 

2) is the 440 also effected by this "glitch"...if so do I have the glitch now? If I don't have it now will

It was tested on install in may 2016 and showed to all work. Should i have any concerns?

Does anyone know the answer to any of this?

23 hours ago, Supercop0184 said:

1) Set up an appointment with your Avidyne dealer

2) I wouldn't sweat it - if you are concerned ask your dealer when you go in for the upgrade

I would have zero concerns. I don't worry about things that may never happen. If your dealer says its a problem, have them use their expertise to look into it.

27 minutes ago, laytonl said:

Has Avidyne updated their simulator to show 10.2 features?  I'm still on the fence about a 530 swap out and have been waiting on 10.2. Lee

Yes they have.  New simulator.  In the app store as IFD Trainer and has a lot more configuration to setup as a simulator.  For example I have an IFD440 that can now be simulated instead of the 540/550.

I swapped a 430 for 440 and love it.  Although I didn't have a lot of time flying behind the 430 the 440 has been more intuitive for me to learn. 

4 hours ago, Pirate said:

I talked with my highly respected avionics shop at RFD today. 

The shop stated they did a 540 yesterday and bricked it, sent it back to Avidyne. 

Think I'll wait for them to do several  first.

I will be happy to pay a few hundered in shop labor, it's chump change for what I'm going to get in this upgrade. 

Oh oh...well that got my attention..what shop ?

20 minutes ago, carusoam said:

We have a good Avidyne MS contact around here.

Should We ring his bell?

I think this conversation is better held over on the Avidyne forum. It's nice to chat about it here with all our friends, but the good info including regular contribution from Avidyne, is happening on the Avidyne forum.