Avidyne 10.2 Release Appears Imminent

KLRDMD

Also very reasonable charges...Excutive Autopilots /KSAC did the first one (mine)and it took them a while ,they did it at night...charged me what Avadyne would have charged for their download...good job as usual for these guys...no probs...again I recommend them ..k

30 minutes ago, thinwing said:

Also very reasonable charges...Excutive Autopilots /KSAC did the first one (mine)and it took them a while ,they did it at night...charged me what Avadyne would have charged for their download...good job as usual for these guys...no probs...again I recommend them ..k

Avidyne doesn't charge anything for their download

I can't imagine why anyone would need to buy the USB drive for $150 when it is so easily downloaded. I downloaded mine at N/C the first day and the largest file was just under 700 MB and now since then they zip the file it takes less time to download. If the shop needs to order the USB drive I wouldn't trust them to know what they are doing. A shop charging you 2-3 hours to download it and install it is reasonable.58cbec4fd8526_ScreenShot2017-03-17at8_58_48AM.thumb.png.c511545b9893a11809f5720280bf7c28.png

Unless you operate in the experimental category or have signoff authority for an update like this, you can not perform the update and we will not send you the update. The update is available to dealers free of charge via our dealer portal. The $150 charge for the FOB is to discourage unnecessarily ordering it since we make it available on the website. If every dealer were to order a FOB it would cause a shipping log jam and we wanted to avoid that.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AviSimpson said:

Unless you operate in the experimental category or have signoff authority for an update like this, you can not perform the update and we will not send you the update. The update is available to dealers free of charge via our dealer portal. The $150 charge for the FOB is to discourage unnecessarily ordering it since we make it available on the website. If every dealer were to order a FOB it would cause a shipping log jam and we wanted to avoid that.

Simpson, why the change in policy?  In the past Avidyne made the updates available to anyone.  It was the owner's responsibility to seek the necessary sign off. This update is no where near as complicated as 10.1

On 3/18/2017 at 7:49 AM, tony said:

Simpson, why the change in policy?  In the past Avidyne made the updates available to anyone.  It was the owner's responsibility to seek the necessary sign off. This update is no where near as complicated as 10.1

Unfortunately, we saw a dramatic increase in tech support tickets from end users attempting to do the update and have an approving body sign off on it. This caused an unnecessary strain on the tech support team.

You are correct that the 10.2 update is not nearly as complicated as the 10.1 update (given that the Service Bulletin is followed).

14 hours ago, AviSimpson said:

Unfortunately, we saw a dramatic increase in tech support tickets from end users attempting to do the update and have an approving body sign off on it. This caused an unnecessary strain on the tech support team. You are correct that the 10.2 update is not nearly as complicated as the 10.1 update (given that the Service Bulletin is followed).

My local avionics shop says they can't get to my software upgrade for a few weeks. My A&P/IA (who installed my Avidyne products since the avionics shop was booked out a couple months then) says he'll do it but he doesn't have access to the avionics shop's software. Is there any way my IA can get this to do my update so I don't end up waiting a month or two ? Worst case I'll start looking for other avionics shops in other parts of the state but I really don't want to do that especially since my IA is perfectly capable of doing this software upgrade - he did the hardware installation.

On 3/20/2017 at 9:33 AM, AviSimpson said:

Unfortunately, we saw a dramatic increase in tech support tickets from end users attempting to do the update and have an approving body sign off on it. This caused an unnecessary strain on the tech support team.

You are correct that the 10.2 update is not nearly as complicated as the 10.1 update (given that the Service Bulletin is followed).

Simpson,  Even though I am disappointed and don't like your response, I do appreciate you coming on this board sharing the information.

I did my 10.2 updates today. I did the 440 first in case I bricked it the 540 would still be functional :unsure:

I was told to expect 80 minutes each. The 440 took 107 minutes and the 540 took 101 minutes. I started with 10.1.2 so maybe that's why it took a bit longer (10.1.3 was current).

I didn't have time to look at anything or fly it yet.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally upgraded to 10.2 today. The guy who did my software upgrade hates how difficult the process is and how the SB warns of bricking the unit many times.  He said a Garmin software upgrade takes a few seconds. Maybe even minutes. It took about 80-90 minutes to do each one. So I would say this is one of the few negatives about Avidyne.

Unfortunately I didn't get to play with it much on the way home since I filed IFR coming back due to some clouds along the mountain tops on the route home.

I hope to play with some of the features later this week.

12 hours ago, NotarPilot said:

I finally upgraded to 10.2 today. The guy who did my software upgrade hates how difficult the process is and how the SB warns of bricking the unit many times.  He said a Garmin software upgrade takes a few seconds. Maybe even minutes. It took about 80-90 minutes to do each one. So I would say this is one of the few negatives about Avidyne.

Unfortunately I didn't get to play with it much on the way home since I filed IFR coming back due to some clouds along the mountain tops on the route home.

I hope to play with some of the features later this week.

I think this is the first we've heard an Avidyne installer call the update difficult. The update literally runs itself, it really isn't complicated. Yes, we warn the installer many times that if they don't follow the directions it will cause issues. They are probably right, Garmin updates are probably quicker than ours but are they bringing over 70 new features and improvements to their units?

• Like 4

9 hours ago, AviSimpson said:

Garmin updates are probably quicker than ours but are they bringing over 70 new features and improvements to their units?

I made that same argument while we were talking about the time to install the update. I told him 10.2 was a pretty major upgrade for the Avidynes. I sent him some pictures of the synthetic vision and even he agreed it was pretty cool. But the update did seem to take a really long time.

29 minutes ago, Pirate said:

Heck, with all the major upgrade / features Avidyne gave us with 10.2 I'd happily wait 5 hours for the download if I had to.

This upgrade on my 540 is AMAZING...................

Thanks Avidyne!

Guess I'm the odd man out. It has made no difference in how the GPS functions for me. I use none of the new features.