Yoke Mount Ident Button INOP

Jeff_S

Hey all,

A niggly thing I discovered while out on a two week trip this month. The yoke-mount ident button for the G1000 stopped working. The panel button works fine. I assume there may just be some corrosion in the contacts or something, but thought I'd ask around to see if anyone else has had a similar problem.  Any ideas on what to check?

Thanks!

Yoke ident button, For what earthly reason?

Speed, speed, speed.

4736V Ident,  touch click and done.

I just ident-ed while your finger was in mid-air reaching for the transponder, now back to Waylon Jennings singing "Good Hearted Woman."

from the Garmin 350C in stereo with surround sound.

We do fly Mooney's for a reason.

Enjoy

11 hours ago, DAVIDWH said:

Yoke ident button, For what earthly reason?

Speed, speed, speed.

4736V Ident,  touch click and done.

I just ident-ed while your finger was in mid-air reaching for the transponder, now back to Waylon Jennings singing "Good Hearted Woman."

from the Garmin 350C in stereo with surround sound.

We do fly Mooney's for a reason.

Enjoy

Sorry guys, I don't buy it for one second. How much effort does it take to place ones finger on the ID button on the transponder unit, even it was in the far reaches of the right panel? Further to my point, how often are we asked to ID in the first place? Seems to me switching frequencies will get you into more trouble during your scan than pressing a simple little button.

2 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

Sorry guys, I don't buy it for one second. How much effort does it take to place ones finger on the ID button on the transponder unit, even it was in the far reaches of the right panel? Further to my point, how often are we asked to ID in the first place? Seems to me switching frequencies will get you into more trouble during your scan than pressing a simple little button.

I'm with you. That seems a bit much. My guess is that someone figured that the ident button on the transponder is too far from your visual scan area, and looking that far away might to lead to disorientation; whereas the radio frequency knobs are closer. 

I agree that the IDENT request doesn't happen very often. I do think it can be a little distracting to receive an IDENT request if you are just entering the soup and you need to reach for the button.

My GTN 650 is a two step process to hit the IDENT button.

9708166ff302f0950938b01e31168788.png
2f0cde28f232e7c694df1300b97cdfbc.png

Fortunately, with the 327 in the panel, I just need to reach over to hit the button on it.
30a9311b81af460f741da6dd020cd7f5.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Marauder said:

I agree that the IDENT request doesn't happen very often. I do think it can be a little distracting to receive an IDENT request if you are just entering the soup and you need to reach for the button.

That's what co-pilots and wives are for. :) 

Well, I'm glad I could start a philosophical discussion on the relative merits of an IDENT button on the yoke. Whether or not it's easy or practical, I can tell you that it's cool! And when you're used to having it work and it doesn't, and ATC calls back and says "I didn't see your IDENT" then it's annoying.

As to frequency, around here in Atlanta we use it all the time. When you take off on an IFR flight plan and go immediately into the ATL Bravo airspace, they always ask you to ident.

But I guess no one has any ideas as to the cause, so I'll figure it out myself. Thanks.