IFR Practice --Canceled, below minimums

chrisk

I often try to get some real IFR time and practice when we have a low cloud deck.  600 to 800 foot ceiling with 10 miles visibility are the really good days.   Today I was hoping for some practice, but had to cancel/delay it.   The LPV minimums are 250 feet agl, 7/8 visibility.   The airport has been reporting 200 foot ceiling and 1/2 mile all morning.  I guess it is time for a project!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, carusoam said:

CK, are you getting any freezing temps with that too?

Best regards,

-a-

No, we are in the mid 50's.  I was just crossing my fingers for a good practice day.  Just a bit too much IFR.

• Like 1

Been pretty crazy last couple days around here. Yesterday in the 421 went missed twice on the GPS 35 at HYI, then went to AUS on the ILS 35R and got down. Bought some seriously over priced fuel at $7.20 and then finally made in to HYI an hour or so later on the GPS 35 again breaking out right at min's. Not bad practice at all but pretty hairy. 

Been pretty crazy last couple days around here. Yesterday in the 421 went missed twice on the GPS 35 at HYI, then went to AUS on the ILS 35R and got down. Bought some seriously over priced fuel at $7.20 and then finally made in to HYI an hour or so later on the GPS 35 again breaking out right at min's. Not bad practice at all but pretty hairy. 

Just curious if HYI approaches were LPV or was the weather just better at AUS. Or did you just need the extra 50' lower. Luckily my home field KLBX has LPV and ILS both.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To answer the above question; yes 35 at HYI is LPV but 250 minimums rather than 200. 13 was closed which has the only 200 ft minimums at HYI...

For others who were wondering... Long story short is i was flying right seat in my 421C training a military guy (plan was KHYI KVCT KHYI) who may fly the plane for us every now and again when i can't (i have a non pilot partner in the plane). He was learning on it so we went missed twice at KHYI some due to weather and mostly pilot skills (we never made it to minimums because i didn't like the stability of his approaches). AUS was reporting 400 OC but pireps were that people were breaking out at 900 so rather than diverting to VFR weather 20 minutes away we went to AUS knowing that we could still go to many other outs if needed. My plane, my rules so i let him try it twice then we went were we could get down easier to take a break, add some fuel (we weren't low fuel anyways just FYI at 2 hours in tanks) and most of all switch seats as i fly my plane best from left seat!! After a restroom break, overpriced fuel to be safe and a cup of coffee went back to KHYI where we shot the GPS 35 to LPV 250' AG minimums and landed with no issue. 

• Like 2

To answer the above question; yes 35 at HYI is LPV but 250 minimums rather than 200. 13 was closed which has the only 200 ft minimums at HYI...
For others who were wondering... Long story short is i was flying right seat in my 421C training a military guy (plan was KHYI KVCT KHYI) who may fly the plane for us every now and again when i can't (i have a non pilot partner in the plane). He was learning on it so we went missed twice at KHYI some due to weather and mostly pilot skills (we never made it to minimums because i didn't like the stability of his approaches). AUS was reporting 400 OC but pireps were that people were breaking out at 900 so rather than diverting to VFR weather 20 minutes away we went to AUS knowing that we could still go to many other outs if needed. My plane, my rules so i let him try it twice then we went were we could get down easier to take a break, add some fuel (we weren't low fuel anyways just FYI at 2 hours in tanks) and most of all switch seats as i fly my plane best from left seat!! After a restroom break, overpriced fuel to be safe and a cup of coffee went back to KHYI where we shot the GPS 35 to LPV 250' AG minimums and landed with no issue. 

Nice ADM. I was curious 'cause I often find the LPV approaches smoother than an ILS. Great workout for your student.

2 minutes ago, cnoe said:

Nice ADM. I was curious 'cause I often find the LPV approaches smoother than an ILS. Great workout for your student.

Agreed, I too prefer the LPV approaches over the ILS but hey i am a young guy and love GPS go figure!! Not an instructor here but my "student" is ex military pilot with  roughly 5200 hrs so it was a good reminder to me how important current proficiency is in the plane your flying rather than how many years/ hours of flying you have. . . Let's just say it was fairly quite after the landing at AUS and was said to be, "in his record books". Good learning experience all the way around. 

• Like 1

Yesterday I flew commercially from CVG to ATL and then over to Birmingham. Climbing out of Cincinnati, I don't think we reached the top until about 12,000 feet – Solid mush all of the way up.

On the positive side, the same incredibly thick layer was with me for the whole drive between Tuscaloosa and Cincinnati today. I would much prefer it be like this when I am driving under it, instead of a high ceiling and clear visibility mocking me while driving back toward Cincinnati. (When the weather is clear, I pine for the Mooney and that less than three hour flight versus more than 8 Hour drive).

• 2 weeks later...

Years ago My ifr instructor was based out of Columbia airport in the foothills...a place You eastern flyers describe as mountainous...i.e. 5000 ft peaks...anyway the plan was for me to pickup my ifr instructor and Finsh up my ifr work before checkride....weather was really marginal....a pacific weather storm was blasting in and my valley airport had no reporting....I am 30 something and pretty dumb at the time...so I launch under a rainy 1500 ft sky in a maule m5.As I got closer to Columbia I noticed a dark cell but plowed on thru.I was IMC in an instant...I mean total vfr into IMC killing dumb pilots conditions !Only thing going for me was I was really good flying attitude indicator and a simple standard Rate turn as I had practiced for so many hours  back to where I entered IMC....I called the instructor when I landed and said not to day...hey says ...I have been trying to call you to warn you off....

landed 

• Like 1