Is Bruce's still the Bee's Knee's for covers?

RobertGary1

On 1/19/2017 at 10:20 AM, RobertGary1 said:

He sent me a quote. Didn't mention any delays. The only issue is that he charges separately for each antenna, shipping, and the protective padding. Once you add all that in he was pretty close to the Bruce's price. Bruce's is also offering 10% discount through this month, but only if you know to ask.

-Robet

Well turns out that 10% discount then triggers a charge for shipping and handling so its really more like 6% off. Less than the 9% sales tax.

-Robert

On 1/14/2017 at 7:06 PM, Zwaustin said:

I was always very happy with my Bruce's cover, engine plugs and pitot cover. High quality to say the least. 

+1 Here.  

It would be very difficult to top Bruce's quality and customer service.  

I had some issues with my cover and he replace the cover at no charge and very quickly even though it was not fully clear if his cover was at fault...

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/14/2017 at 0:18 PM, 201er said:

The plane cover has served me well but I have to say that I am very disappointed with the $25 refurb service he offers. My plastic snaps have all cracked and I assumed that they would be fixed or replaced as part of the rehab but in reality, all they did was stitched over the old stitching which was fine. Spent a while without a cover for nothing.

Just looked at Jim's web site.  It seems his refurb includes attachments, but they should be squawked...

rehab-page.jpg

• 5 months later...
On 1/13/2017 at 7:12 PM, RobertGary1 said:

My cover shredded after the last storm. Can't complain it's probably 8+ years old at this point and I'm outside. Just wanted to check to see if Bruce's is still the go to. 

-Robert

Having your cover on most of the time, do you have any wear marks from it? I'm in a pretty much closed off, but open T hanger. I would like a cover but worried it will ware on the paint in places. 

I

Last year I needed to add a third antenna and the manufacturer (a well known maker on the west coast but will not be named) couldn't be bothered with the alteration.  Given that I am in Boston, I went to a RI sail maker and got the work done in about three hours locally.  No shipping, no hassle, no arrogance.

John

4 hours ago, M20F-1968 said:

(a well known maker on the west coast but will not be named) couldn't be bothered with the alteration.  

I had a similar experience with that well known maker as well.  They would not come down to the airport which is practically walking distance from their shop to measure my airplane for a new cover. Mind you this was going to be my second purchase, repeat customer etc.......

I went to http://planecover.com instead and I truly feel I have a better cover.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jim Peace said:

I went to http://planecover.com instead and I truly feel I have a better cover.  

+1

about 20 years ago, I called them and (over the phone) gave Jim measurements for my antennas, etc.  Picked it up a week later and it was a 100% perfect fit.  They know their stuff.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2017 at 2:31 PM, xcrmckenna said:

Having your cover on most of the time, do you have any wear marks from it? I'm in a pretty much closed off, but open T hanger. I would like a cover but worried it will ware on the paint in places. 

I wouldn't say marks but the paint under the cover is noticeably in better condition so you can see where the cover stops because the paint behind it is more sun worn.

-Robert

• Like 1

I wouldn't say marks but the paint under the cover is noticeably in better condition so you can see where the cover stops because the paint behind it is more sun worn.
-Robert

But no rub marks from the straps or edges from the wind blowing it around?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 8/7/2017 at 8:11 AM, xcrmckenna said:

But no rub marks from the straps or edges from the wind blowing it around?

The cover should fit TIGHT. Mine fits like a glove and the straps have a section of bungee in them to keep it pulled tight. Once it's on it doesn't move. From planecover.com

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MBDiagMan said:

I saved considerable cash by buying a cover from MAC's and have been VERY pleased with it.

I'm pretty sure I looked at them. They charge additional for each antenna etc so by the time I added it up it wasn't a savings. But if you don't have antennas maybe it's cheaper. 

-Robert

We bought a very expensive custom Bruce cover for a previous airplane and it deteriorated within a couple of years. On top of it the cover was a poor fit. When we needed a cover for the Mooney we decided to go with Mac’s Airplane Covers LLC and couldn't be happy with the purchase. After more than 5 years of use in the Southern California sun it withstood a 80 mph storm in Palm Springs a few month ago .

During you decision making process you might want to compare the cost of living in Silicon Valley with Michigan. This might explain why MAC delivers a much better value.    

On 8/10/2017 at 10:10 AM, N9495V said:

We bought a very expensive custom Bruce cover for a previous airplane and it deteriorated within a couple of years. On top of it the cover was a poor fit. When we needed a cover for the Mooney we decided to go with Mac’s Airplane Covers LLC and couldn't be happy with the purchase. After more than 5 years of use in the Southern California sun it withstood a 80 mph storm in Palm Springs a few month ago .

During you decision making process you might want to compare the cost of living in Silicon Valley with Michigan. This might explain why MAC delivers a much better value.    

I got 10 years outside with my last Bruce's. But they did have a recall at one time with their sunbrella material. They sent me a new cover no charge. 

-Robert's 

• 4 weeks later...

Got my Bruce's cover today. It looks pretty nice. I wish the strap connectors were a little different. But I am very glad they added this tag because I don't think I would have understood the situation....

b688a1d3696ddcacd060148050bb9125.jpg

• Haha 2