Is Bruce's still the Bee's Knee's for covers?

RobertGary1

4 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

We recently tried to buy covers for a Cirrus client from Jim at Plane Covers, he said he was too busy and not taking on new work.

Clarence

Their website would agree with your statement: it says they are reducing workload, and won't even show their products anymore.

I have a Bruces cover and the snaps are definitely optional. I've decided not to install the snaps, and will just use the nice wide straps that came with the cover.

Of course, the plane lives in a hangar so the cover is only used for overnight trips where it might be out on the ramp.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bonal said:

Yes it definitely helps quite a lot even for a few hours.

+1... I left mine on the ramp in the Socal heat and sun. The cabin was not too bad and I didn't melt my hand off when grabbing the center beam when getting in like I had in the past. The beam was just warm to the touch, so the cover is definitely protecting the inside of the plane...

Edited by jonhop
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

I was going to start a similar thread / I need a new insulated cowl cover - to retain heat in winter months.  I lost mine!  :-0

whose best for that?

I use an old sleeping bag and cowl plugs.  It's in a hangar, not outside.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, amillet said:

I use an old sleeping bag and cowl plugs.  It's in a hangar, not outside.

So do I - but when I travel - I need something the wind won't blow away - like yesterday I went to Portland, ME with my son to fetch some poor hapless Lobsters.  We were on the field there for 2hrs - and a cowl cover is quite enough to keep the heat of just running it there for a nice warm restart.  It was 20F on the field and sunny.  This is SOP for winter ops.

P.S. For lunch we had something I never had before - lobster roll but with bacon and avacado - and on a very very buttery toasted roll.  It was amazing.  Who know?  I guess they say bacon goes with everything.

5 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

i just got my quote from Bruce's. with tax $600. I love Bruce's but if I can get similar for $400 I'll go for that. 

-Robert

Check eBay. I got my cover from Airplane covers on there brand new custom made to my aircraft. I think it was less than $300.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2017 at 6:50 PM, M016576 said:

Nothing now... he's not accepting new orders.

I sent him an email but it does seem like he's trying to wind the business down. 

That's the problem with the internet Companies that look to be fully in business have sometimes shut down years prior  Ran into that today on an unrelated issue  

-Robert 

Mac's Covers!!! Well made. Same external as Bruce or better.  I've had it out in the open, sun and rain for several weeks, No issues. 

He saves a bit of money as the entire thing is not lined with micro fiber, only the windscreen. I didn't mind, but might not put it on new paint. That said, it folds up in a smaller bag.

Shipped for $290!!

image.png

• Like 2

10 hours ago, StinkBug said:

Bummed to hear that Jim isn't taking new orders, as that would have been my recommendation as well. Mine has been on the plane outdoors since I bought it 2 years ago and still fits perfectly and looks like new.

He sent me a quote. Didn't mention any delays. The only issue is that he charges separately for each antenna, shipping, and the protective padding. Once you add all that in he was pretty close to the Bruce's price. Bruce's is also offering 10% discount through this month, but only if you know to ask.

-Robet