Is Bruce's still the Bee's Knee's for covers?

RobertGary1

Another vote for Jim and plane cover.  Added the zipper option on my new cover, and I'm glad I did.  Every time I put the cover on, I subsequently have to retrieve a stuffed animal or a child seat or a phone that slipped out of someone's pocket.  And I do mean Every. Damn. Time.  The zipper makes me less cranky about that.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, aggiepilot04 said:

Another vote for Jim and plane cover.  Added the zipper option on my new cover, and I'm glad I did.  Every time I put the cover on, I subsequently have to retrieve a stuffed animal or a child seat or a phone that slipped out of someone's pocket.  And I do mean Every. Damn. Time.  The zipper makes me less cranky about that.

That's a great idea! I always seem to leave either my glasses or, if arriving around / after dark, my sunglasses . . . No shades at the beach just doesn't work!

The plane cover has served me well but I have to say that I am very disappointed with the $25 refurb service he offers. My plastic snaps have all cracked and I assumed that they would be fixed or replaced as part of the rehab but in reality, all they did was stitched over the old stitching which was fine. Spent a while without a cover for nothing.

6 minutes ago, 201er said:

The plane cover has served me well but I have to say that I am very disappointed with the $25 refurb service he offers. My plastic snaps have all cracked and I assumed that they would be fixed or replaced as part of the rehab but in reality, all they did was stitched over the old stitching which was fine. Spent a while without a cover for nothing.

Another benefit to Plane Covers--they're held on by wide straps with adjustable clips. Nothing is ever attached to the plane. With Bruse, you need to out snaps on your plane, then there are problems later with snaps on the cover.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hank said:

Another benefit to Plane Covers--they're held on by wide straps with adjustable clips. Nothing is ever attached to the plane. With Bruse, you need to out snaps on your plane, then there are problems later with snaps on the cover.

Good news. But any idea how to get my snaps fixed?

9 minutes ago, 201er said:

Good news. But any idea how to get my snaps fixed?

Any chance of just replacing the snaps. Standard snaps are available at fabric stores, and with a couple of really cheap tools, you can install them. It the snaps are torn out of the fabric, you have a different problem.

Just now, DonMuncy said:

Any chance of just replacing the snaps. Standard snaps are available at fabric stores, and with a couple of really cheap tools, you can install them. It the snaps are torn out of the fabric, you have a different problem.

These are super jumbo and not typical ones. Furthermore the straps are sewn shut around the snaps. Not an easy repair for someone with tools for mechanical things.

Just now, 201er said:

These are super jumbo and not typical ones. Furthermore the straps are sewn shut around the snaps. Not an easy repair for someone with tools for mechanical things.

Any chance of replacing the jumbos with two standard ones, adjacent to each other. The standard ones are made with several different lengths, to go through thicker materials. I'm just tossing out ideas, as I haven't seen any covers up close.

7 minutes ago, 201er said:

I had a large snap break on my convertible, one of the straps that holds the cover in place when the top is down. Stopped in a furniture repair place, he put on a new snap head free for nothing, wouldn't take my money. Find someone who repairs / restores furniture and take the cover to them. All they can do is say No.

Any chance of replacing the jumbos with two standard ones, adjacent to each other. The standard ones are made with several different lengths, to go through thicker materials. I'm just tossing out ideas, as I haven't seen any covers up close.

Yes you can. Mine are still holding up great. I have a hangar so the only time I use the cover is when I travel. Regardless, find a local guy that does automobile reupholstery. My local guy happens to do cars mostly but he is also an FAA approved repair station for aircraft interiors. He does a lot of leather seats etc, but I have seen covers and tarps, etc in his shop. My wife had a couple of large bags for school equipment that used straps with jumbo snaps and he replaced those in less than 10 minutes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, 201er said:

Shoot Jim an email.  He has sent me the male end of those plastic clips for free.  Female end may more difficult...if I recall correctly, it's sewn in.

That being said, I do remember thinking the same thing about the refurb.  I didn't see much of a difference.

• Like 1

Well I always come up with a different answer when this question is raised. MAC's airplane covers is my choice I had 2 made for my outdoor 150 and when I got the Mooney that was going to be outside I went to them again. The service is great costs less and have been very happy with the product. The Mooney was outside for over a year with the cover on full time and it still looks brand new. We always use it during the hot months if we are going to stay even a few hours. I even had them make me a prop cover for the Cessna since it had a brand new one. For my location it's the summer that really does the damage. I recommend using the color fabric instead of the white because its heavier and holds up better based on personal experience.

3 hours ago, bonal said:

Well I always come up with a different answer when this question is raised. MAC's airplane covers is my choice I had 2 made for my outdoor 150 and when I got the Mooney that was going to be outside I went to them again. The service is great costs less and have been very happy with the product. The Mooney was outside for over a year with the cover on full time and it still looks brand new. We always use it during the hot months if we are going to stay even a few hours. I even had them make me a prop cover for the Cessna since it had a brand new one. For my location it's the summer that really does the damage. I recommend using the color fabric instead of the white because its heavier and holds up better based on personal experience.

Does it help in hot months to keep your cockpit from getting to hot... worth to put on if a few hrs?