Tape under headliner

After letting all the magic smoke out of my rheostat i pulled the center headliner plastic.  There's a mix of red fabric tape similar to duct tape as well as electrical tape which looks to be covering where the different sheet metal pieces join.   All the tape up there is barely hanging on. 

Whats the purpose of the tape and what kind should I use?  Electrical tape, duct tape, metal HVAC tape?

7 minutes ago, Yetti said:

alum tape seems to be your friend

ok I think this foil tape is what I have.  Has a backing on the tape you peel off and is like  a really thin piece of metal vs tape.

Thanks!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Nashua-Tape-1-89-in-x-50-yd-322-Multi-Purpose-HVAC-Foil-Tape-1207792/100030120

Is it to stop leaks or wind or what?

Edited by TheTurtle
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

The tape seals the fresh air plenum so that the air from the roof inlet goes to the round vents. It's possible your is 50 year old, might deserve replacement.

yea its pretty tired.  I suppose while Im taking all that tape off Ill open the pilot side vent and fix the sticky fresh air vent cowl knob.

• Like 1