Garmin G5 problem

NotarPilot

14 minutes ago, JoshMan said:

I just got a g5 as well and was planning on replacing the AI with it.  Are you guys recommending against this? 

Some work, some don't. Maybe you will be one of the lucky ones.  Ultimately, Garmin will fix the problem.  Meanwhile, expect to possibly be a beta tester.  Until the issue is definitely resolved, I personally wouldn't trust it in IMC.  I don't have a G5, but have read all about it's issues on BeechTalk.

4 hours ago, JoshMan said:

I just got a g5 as well and was planning on replacing the AI with it.  Are you guys recommending against this? 

I have a couple of hours on the G5 since updating the firmware to v2.60.  So far so good, it seems to be rock solid.  I haven't flown it in IMC yet.  I might wait a few more hours before giving that a go.  Later this year, I'll probably end up putting a Dynon D10A on the right side in front of the co-pilot seat for safety, redundancy, wind direction, magnetic heading and for use by any pilots I might fly with.

5 hours ago, donkaye said:

I don't have a G5, but have read all about it's issues on BeechTalk.

Have you read any specific mention of issues after the v2.60 firmware?

Ours has been great with v2.60 and the previous version as well. I don't hesitate to use it in IMC any more than a mechanical vacuum unit. We've put about 20 hours on ours.

What are you guys using for back-up?  The TC or the old TnB indicator? Or a portable device?

It would be wise to be ready to recognize the symptoms of failure.  Performance matching the attitude and power settings of the plane.

Thinking this through in advance will keep the problem at bay...  :)

PP thoughts only, not a CFI...

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

6 hours ago, carusoam said:

What are you guys using for back-up?  The TC or the old TnB indicator? Or a portable device?

It would be wise to be ready to recognize the symptoms of failure.  Performance matching the attitude and power settings of the plane.

Thinking this through in advance will keep the problem at bay...  :)

PP thoughts only, not a CFI...

Best regards,

-a-

I haven't flown in IMC yet, with the G5, but when I do I will be paying special attention to the TC, VSI and HSI. Those working together should be adequate back up in case of G5 failure or unreliability, as we have all trained for. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had my 201 panel completely rebuilt, factory shock mounted w/new shocks, in 07/2014 with 2 Garmin 650s, audio panel & remote xponder w/existing 796 & STec 55x autopilot. In 01/2016 installed Sandia Quatro as the primary attitude indicator with no issues.  After seeing the G-5 @ Oshkosh, ordered it & an upgrade to xponder & some other stuff.  All installed in 11/2016.  The G-5 was one of the first G-5 units sold. It started displaying wing drop, very pronounced in level flight & more so in decent, on the first flight home. Avionics shop replaced unit with another unit same issue only much less pronounced.  At first Garmin blamed the airplane, then the software issue was acknowledged.  Had software update done by avionics shop on 02/10/17 & have flown it 5 hrs. since.  Appears the software update fixed the issue.  Works well.  Will update this SITREP after I fly it more.  Garmin could not let this issue go not properly corrected.

• Like 2

On 2/12/2017 at 3:25 AM, TMeek said:

At first Garmin blamed the airplane, then the software issue was acknowledged.  Had software update done by avionics shop on 02/10/17 & have flown it 5 hrs. since.  Appears the software update fixed the issue.  Works well.  Will update this SITREP after I fly it more.  Garmin could not let this issue go not properly corrected.

I've noticed Garmin seems to blame the aircraft or installation A LOT. Maybe they're right sometimes but obviously they're not all the time.  I'm glad they finally admitted an issue, released a new software update and got this fixed.

On the other hand, I saw some complaints on BT regarding wifi connectivity issues with the L-3 NGT-9000 (mine included). L-3 suggested trying to connect to a different smart device to determine if the problem was with the device or the 9000. Either way they were quick to acknowledge that the early boxes have issues with the wifi module. Looks like I'll have to send mine in. Nice to see a company accept responsibility early in the game.

It makes me think about the story I saw today about Ford acknowledging exhaust leaks into the cabin of their 2011-2014 Explorers but issuing a statement that it posses no safety risk. "HUH?" I guess that makes all those studies, articles and accident reports ive read about carbon monoxide poisoning all hogwash.

I've noticed Garmin seems to blame the aircraft or installation A LOT. Maybe they're right sometimes but obviously they're not all the time.  I'm glad they finally admitted an issue, released a new software update and got this fixed.
On the other hand, I saw some complaints on BT regarding wifi connectivity issues with the L-3 NGT-9000 (mine included). L-3 suggested trying to connect to a different smart device to determine if the problem was with the device or the 9000. Either way they were quick to acknowledge that the early boxes have issues with the wifi module. Looks like I'll have to send mine in. Nice to see a company accept responsibility early in the game.
It makes me think about the story I saw today about Ford acknowledging exhaust leaks into the cabin of their 2011-2014 Explorers but issuing a statement that it posses no safety risk. "HUH?" I guess that makes all those studies, articles and accident reports ive read about carbon monoxide poisoning all hogwash.

In defense of electronic manufacturers, there are a ton of environmental factors that can affect a product. They can't test for all of them. Where I get troubled is when some of the basic tests aren't done which result in problems for owners.

Case in point. I was having an issue with my Garmin 650 breaking squelch. Garmin did in fact have issues with their squelch and issued a number of firmware updates and instructions to shops to deal with it. So when I began seeing an issue with my 650, I immediately assumed it was associated with a known problem. Was I surprised to find out that my recently JPI 900 was at fault.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Two way communication helps get to the root of so many problems...

1) Customers giving factual feed back...  in flight video is the best feedback a supplier can hope for.

2) Suppliers  keeping an ear open...  our Avidyne contact has been exceptional at this....

3) One user giving another user ideas to follow up on...  CNOE giving the most recent example in the post above...

The power of MS...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

glad to see this problem has been identified.  G5 I installed in my Husky tail dragger has about 10 hours on it and now leaning 8 degrees.  all other functions working perfectly. initially starts correct on ground. after a few minutes in air, it starts to lean.

Have to udate to the 2.6.  hope it not just a band aid.  still disappointed in Garmin.  Judging by the delay in shipping by 3 months, I am guessing they put this in production before it was ready. 

Welcome out in the open, Jeff.

How does the tail dragger handle the attitude change with the previous AI?

start-up,and taxi while the AI spins up, you must get some strange indications normally after take-off, no?

Adding the G5 to the same situation has got to be interesting...

Best regards,

-a- 

On 4/3/2017 at 4:41 AM, jeffschnabel said:

glad to see this problem has been identified.  G5 I installed in my Husky tail dragger has about 10 hours on it and now leaning 8 degrees.  all other functions working perfectly. initially starts correct on ground. after a few minutes in air, it starts to lean.

Have to udate to the 2.6.  hope it not just a band aid.  still disappointed in Garmin.  Judging by the delay in shipping by 3 months, I am guessing they put this in production before it was ready. 

Hey Jeff, I actually had this problem happen again once since switching to v2.6 and from best I can tell it might have been my fault.  I took my plane to refuel at a local non-towered airport and after gassing up I restarted the engine and almost immediately started taxiing toward the runway.  I don't think I gave the G5 enough time to align and after doing my run-up I immediately took off. During the climb I noticed the G5 horizon leaning again. 

Now I let the unit align first before starting any ground movement and it's worked fine ever since.  So, just FYI...

On 4/10/2017 at 0:35 PM, Cristhian said:

The installation requires a GA35 antenna? can be installed without the GPS input?

I read another thread somewhere where Trek said it cannot be installed without a GPS input. If you have a GNS, GTN or IFD product you can use that for your GPS source and not have to install another GOS antenna on your plane. If you don't, well... guess what.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:35 PM, Cristhian said:

The installation requires a GA35 antenna? can be installed without the GPS input?

It can technically, as there is an internal antenna, however the STC requires GPS input. 

• 1 month later...
Hey Jeff, I actually had this problem happen again once since switching to v2.6 and from best I can tell it might have been my fault.  I took my plane to refuel at a local non-towered airport and after gassing up I restarted the engine and almost immediately started taxiing toward the runway.  I don't think I gave the G5 enough time to align and after doing my run-up I immediately took off. During the climb I noticed the G5 horizon leaning again. 

Now I let the unit align first before starting any ground movement and it's worked fine ever since.  So, just FYI...

Very interesting. I just had my first series of flights with the G5 and the unit worked great except for the start of one flight. Just like you it was a fuel stop where I started up and took off quickly. Shortly after takeoff it started leaning and the pitch was off. Restarting the unit actually took care of it right away, which seemed odd if it needs the time on the ground. Worked perfect for the rest of the flight. 

I guess I take some comfort in the fact that whenever you are launching into IMC on departure you're probably taking the adequate amount of time between getting clearances and setting the radios up that you should never get this launching into the soup. 

57c3ce69f813fdd692ea39d583d46273.jpg

• Like 1