Mooney Yoke emblem

Ive seen some vector art of the mooney emblem but havent seen the exact one on the old style Yoke.

I had to do my 500 hour yoke inspection today so went ahead and pulled them off to paint since the plane will be down ANOTHER week for exhaust welding and eddy inspection.  Anybody got Vaseline cause my butt hurts...

anyway anybody have this specific image in high res somewhere.  I have a laser engraver friend that can make me one if I give him the art.

20170112_161459.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, LANCECASPER said:

i saw that one when looking previously.  dont love it but it may have to do.  Or maybe Ill just go crazy and just cover the yokes in $100 bills.  I keep throwing them at it anyway lol.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TheTurtle said:

Or maybe Ill just go crazy and just cover the yokes in $100 bills.  I keep throwing them at it anyway lol.

I think there is a way in which you fold a bill so it looks like a swan, I bet a bit of adjustment and it could look like the mooney bird... ;)  Best looking mooney bird around ('though I'm still partial to the older one from the early '60's mooneys)

one of my clients has a graphics guy and he whipped this up.  Ill get the vector art of it and upload it here so other people can make it.

Im having him etch this on black anodized aluminum for me and then ill cut it into a triangle to fit the yoke.

logo.JPG

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, TheTurtle said:

one of my clients has a graphics guy and he whipped this up.  Ill get the vector art of it and upload it here so other people can make it.

Im having him etch this on black anodized aluminum for me and then ill cut it into a triangle to fit the yoke.

logo.JPG

Any chance you could double that order and sell a set for profit? I have the eBay stickers but I would like something nicer.

Just now, Raptor05121 said:

Any chance you could double that order and sell a set for profit? I have the eBay stickers but I would like something nicer.

hes going to etch this one for me for free.  I can ask what he wants to do more of them.  You just need copilot side right?

Just now, Raptor05121 said:

I could use a pair

once the machine is setup i dont think its a big deal.  Ill just have him make me 4 of them.  send me your address ill send you 2.  You will have to cut out the triangle.  Hes doing it on square stock.  Im going to have him etch the outside border of the emblem as well so it matches the original.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Wow that looks great ! I have a 68 G model in restoration with original paint . I powder coated the Yokes but my emblems were not salvageable,and no discernible logo on them. I could surely use a pair, please let me know what's required to obtain two if you can make them. I have been looking for these for a while now.

4 hours ago, TheTurtle said:

should fit. thats the style yoke it came off of.  I have a 67 F.  Is that the Ebay emblem you have now? 

It's a paper foil emblem I got from a vender at Sun 'N Fun. (The pic is 3 years ago, the paper foil doesn't look as good now.)

ok guys heres the final.  I just need to figure out how im going to cut them out. Im thinking a bandsaw with a lot of teeth on the blade.

I have a total of 6 emblems right now. I can make a few more this week so it will go like this:

If I dont screwup my cut in testing Ill have 5 left.

raptor gets 2

markc gets 1

acdc gets 2

Then Ill do another run next week.  Bob_belville is first on the list for that one.  I should have 5 left after that.

Just to reiterate Im not cutting these out for you.  If you are on the list and dont think you can cut it or its more trouble than its worth to you let me know so I can move bob up the list and not have to make more.

I think after this run Ill charge for them.  1 plate with 2 emblems $25.   you cut it out.

20170223_152103.jpg

20170223_152125.jpg

I answered a PM about these but figured Id put it here as well.

yep  the plate is almost the same thickness as the original and is black aluminum.  The etching is the black burned away by laser.  Its maybe a few thousands thicker than the original plate.  I was going to use a bandsaw to cut it out but a dremel will work.  My plan is to trace the old one, tape off the face so I dont scratch it up and then cut it out.  I am going to hit mine with a few coats of clear coat rattle can just to keep it from scratching longer.

I also am planning on using glue or 3M 300LSE double sided transfer tape instead of the brad.  Wasnt sure really where to get the brad.

• Like 2