GTN 650 ?

Htwjr

I am considering a GPS and have what may be a stupid question.  Does a GTN 650 require a separate glide slope indicator or is it displayed on the unit?  The reason I am asking is that I talked with an avionics guy and told him I was considering getting a 430w and he said by the time I bought the separate glide slope indicator I would be pretty close to the price of the 650.  How much should a 650 cost installed?  Is the 650 worth the extra cost?  Any advice appreciated. 

22 minutes ago, Htwjr said:

I am considering a GPS and have what may be a stupid question.  Does a GTN 650 require a separate glide slope indicator or is it displayed on the unit?  The reason I am asking is that I talked with an avionics guy and told him I was considering getting a 430w and he said by the time I bought the separate glide slope indicator I would be pretty close to the price of the 650.  How much should a 650 cost installed?  Is the 650 worth the extra cost?  Any advice appreciated. 

Sorry, you need a separate display.

I don't believe the glide slope is displayed on the GPS. Even for the CDI,I don't believe you can legally just use the indicator on the GPS. That would go for either the 430/530 or 650/750.

In my airplane, the GPS feeds the HSI which supplies both the CDI and the Glide slope indicator.

I think it really depends on how you intend to use your GPS.  If you're flying VFR you won't need and indicator.  If you're flying IFR you'll need an indicator of some type.  It could be an HSI or a separate indicator.

Clarence

I'm assuming you currently have a VOR driving a CDI that does not have a glideslope.  If that is the case you have a couple options.

1.  Keep the VOR and its CDI and add the GPS and another CDI that includes a GS.

2.  If you are getting rid of the VOR, replace the CDI with a unit that includes a GS.

3.  If you currently have a CDI with GS hooked up to a VOR/LOC/GS unit, you MIGHT be able to get your avionics guy to install a source select switch so you can decide which unit drives the indicator.

However, I like having two indicators.  When I fly an ILS approach, I have the indications from our GTN650 on the HSI and I can cross check it with indications on our CDI/GS that is being driven by the KNS80.  You can find a used indicator for not much money.

• Like 1