Autopilot solutions?

AlexLev

Bought my first plane ('68 Statesman from a fellow MooneySpacer) and it has an old Pathfinder K2A that doesn't work too well. I haven't been able to find too many options for servicing it.

A/P's are generally super expensive, right? Can someone help educate me on options for adding a more proficient a/p that can hold heading and altitude? Would an STEC be my only option unless a cheaper STC gets approved?

If it has a PC system, you might be able to scrounge and install a Brittain add-on system for modest money. Otherwise, STEC is the only other current option at great expense. There will likely be cheaper options in the hopefully near future as other companies are working on them, but Mooneys likely would not be in the initial round of approvals.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I take it buying an A/P is not as simple as purchasing a used computer unit and asking an avionics shop to install it?

i.e. http://www.ebay.com/itm/S-TEC-55X-Autopilot-Computer-14-VDC-P-N-01192-12-5-/302181946415

Need the servos, etc as well, right? Is there a lot of labor involved? Any ballpark ideas on how much it would cost to install something like a Century 2000 if I found a used unit?

S-Tec autopilots are almost never worth buying used. In order to obtain an STC from them, it requires sending the entire system back to get re-certified. You will end up spending so much money you will wish you purchased it new. Needs servos, the flight computer, pressure transducer, wiring harness built, etc. I am not sure of Century's policy when it comes to this kind of stuff. It is usually very difficult to find all the pieces needed to make a complete set anyways. I would say an S-Tec system 30 or a Century 2000 are both in the 13-15k range installed new. 55x would be way overkill in a G model. The system 30 is a good system.

If you can hang on for a year - there are more modern - better - experimental autopilots being ported over to STC status for certified airplanes - with digital autopilots with things like gpss and envelope protection - that promise to be much cheaper and better.

4 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

If you can hang on for a year - there are more modern - better - experimental autopilots being ported over to STC status for certified airplanes - with digital autopilots with things like gpss and envelope protection - that promise to be much cheaper and better.

Yeah absolutely, that's what I will do!

The challenge of buying old APs...

they are like old computers that have only one function... they are good for that one function.

If they are designed and tuned for your exact airplane,  That is a good way to start.

Getting something that was designed and tuned for a different airplane can be terrible.

the 60's analog AP computers seem to work pretty well even 50 years later...

The Mooney AP is still supported by the manufacturer.

I don't recognize the model name of the OP's AP.  Is it the usual standard installed by the factory or is it an add on by a previous owner?

The one function of a Mooney AP was to keep the wings level. Some functions have been added like Follow a heading indicator. A third function can be added to adjust the trim to maintain altitude...

Pretty spectacular for a 60’s computer.

Best regards,

-a-

Figure a ballpark of 100 hours of installation labor for an autopilot system.

FWIW, I tried to sell a complete KFC 200 autopilot kit out of my salvage Mooney and got tire-kickers but no buyers once they scored the enormous installation task.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

The only way to make a used autopilot installation reasonable is to find an avionics installer that is willing to work with you to make the install happen.

S-tec is a very real possibility and is a great autopilot for the Mooney BUT S-tec is in the business of selling NEW autopilots. While they will approve the STC for a used one, they try to discourage this practice. 

The only thing you need from them is the STC paperwork. S-tec will sell that for $1500. They will TRY to sell you an install kit which includes all the things needed to complete the installation BUT they want thousands of dollars for it. Thus, as some have mentioned above, it is not financially practical to do.

HOWEVER, you do not need the install kit. This is where your avionics installer can help. There are several shops that will work with you to get it done at a very affordable price. It takes some work and persistence to not give up when everyone is telling you NO.

Go ahead, ask me how I know.........

upgraded from System 30 (available) to System 55x. It can be done.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, N6758N said:

S-Tec autopilots are almost never worth buying used. In order to obtain an STC from them, it requires sending the entire system back to get re-certified. You will end up spending so much money you will wish you purchased it new. Needs servos, the flight computer, pressure transducer, wiring harness built, etc. I am not sure of Century's policy when it comes to this kind of stuff. It is usually very difficult to find all the pieces needed to make a complete set anyways. I would say an S-Tec system 30 or a Century 2000 are both in the 13-15k range installed new. 55x would be way overkill in a G model. The system 30 is a good system.

That's a shame. I once flew a plane that had a 55x and loved it.

Edited by flyboy0681