Main Gear Walking Beams

19 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Its weird that they broke, there shouldn't be any force on the idler arms.

I looked at these walking beams on Bob's plane and at first impression I would agree that there would be no real force in play on these parts, but as we looked closer at the action on the landing gear in motion you can see that at the upper and lower edges of travel there will be a twisting motion on these beams due to the offset of the two heims held between the fork of the beam.  If there is any binding during travel of the gear or if the rigging of the overcenter or limit switches is off, it would appear that these beams can take on a good bit of twisting force at the fork end of the tube.

Ron

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

Its weird that they broke, there shouldn't be any force on the idler arms.

DMax has a large collection of them!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

While I do not know the exact amount of force but since both rod ends are side by side they will introduce a twisting motion on the idler arm and a shear force on the bolt through the rod ends.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, 1964-M20E said:

While I do not know the exact amount of force but since both rod ends are side by side they will introduce a twisting motion on the idler arm and a shear force on the bolt through the rod ends.

Yeah, so it's likely that twist is mostly, only(?), while gear is in motion and lowering the gear at higher speeds would tend to exacerbate it?