Want to replace my old rotating beacon with led strobe

I'd wager less if you get it at Oshkosh...or possibly Sun 'n fun

I bought at Oshkosh. Whelen gave me a list of dealers who were at the show and sold them. Interestingly, they all sold them at the same price. It was roughly 10% off of list.

In other words, take the price you see on Aircraft Spruce and expect to see a price 10% less.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I bought mine at Tornado-n-Fun, the last credit card run in Hangar E before the tornadoes hit. I had my old part number, and the Whelen rep walked me a few booth down and showed me what I needed (mine wasn't a rotator, it was a high voltage flasher that blinked irregularly). Took until June for it to arrive. Man is it bright at night!

Slightly more $$, there's another/better option... remove the rotating beacon altogether and replace wingtip and tail lights with led strobe/position lights.  Removing the beacon has to get like 5 knots, right!

Mine came from AeroLed in Boise.  Great customer service when I had to replace one due to water leaking into it (free).  I don't know how much the whole setup cost as previous owner did it.  Also mine got a field approval, but they have TSO units.

Led light should never need replaced and draw very little power.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ragsf15e said:

Slightly more $$, there's another/better option... remove the rotating beacon altogether and replace wingtip and tail lights with led strobe/position lights.  Removing the beacon has to get like 5 knots, right!

Mine came from AeroLed in Boise.  Great customer service when I had to replace one due to water leaking into it (free).  I don't know how much the whole setup cost as previous owner did it.  Also mine got a field approval, but they have TSO units.

Led light should never need replaced and draw very little power.

The last time I looked into it flashing position lights aren't approved for certified aircraft only experimental. The white lights can strobe but the colored lights cannot. I'm assuming that's what your meaning when you use the term position light. 

On a side note, the LED options are far superior than the old beacon, you'll have longer life and less power draw. The whelen was $380 at KOSH on Saturday. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JKSmith said:

The last time I looked into it flashing position lights aren't approved for certified aircraft only experimental. The white lights can strobe but the colored lights cannot. I'm assuming that's what your meaning when you use the term position light. 

On a side note, the LED options are far superior than the old beacon, you'll have longer life and less power draw. The whelen was $380 at KOSH on Saturday. 

Actually no. What he means are use LED wingtip lights that include both a red/green position light and a flashing white strobe light. It removes the need to have the huge strobe hanging down from the belly. 

My 1987 M20K doesn't have any beacon on the belly nor do any later model Mooneys.

These: http://www.whelen.com/aviation/product.php?head_id=10&prod_id=158

• Like 1

Yep, one small wingtip LED fixture contains both the red/green position light and a white strobe.  Two switches in the cockpit to operate nav or strobe or both.  Taillight is white pos/strobe.  

http://aeroleds.com/shop/pulsar-nsp-2/?val=aeroleds

But wow, your pictures make that red rotator look good! I may put mine back!

Edited by Ragsf15e

On 1/11/2017 at 10:28 AM, cctsurf said:

I'd wager less if you get it at Oshkosh...or possibly Sun 'n fun

I've stopped by the whelen, spruce, and wicks booths for 3 OSH airshows now. They are all the same price, and it's almost the same price as the spruce website. Strange coincidence. 

Edited by jetdriven
  • Like 1

On 1/11/2017 at 10:43 PM, amillet said:

Our 97 J has a red belly strobe. Annoying as it makes a noise in the headsets as it cycles. You can see it if you zoom in on this Caravan formation shot

image.jpg

Try adding a 1000uF electrolytic capacitor from the power lead to ground. Short of leads as possible.  It fixed mine 

Try adding a 1000uF electrolytic capacitor from the power lead to ground. Short of leads as possible.  It fixed mine 

I replaced my belly strobe during annual. Now I hear a light clicking sound during east strobe but usually only at low idle. After takeoff I guess the other noises probably overpower the strobe interference noise and I no longer hear it. My C has only two leads going the strobe, power and ground. Can you expand a bit where the capacitor should be placed?

Interesting thread. Just replaced the bulb in my newer style Whelen belly flasher (non strobe). This not terribly bright bulb costs $37, it turns out.  When I eventually go with all LED position lights and wing tip strobes, this light will simply get removed - I hadn't realized until this thread that it's legal to do this.   

Interesting thread. Just replaced the bulb in my newer style Whelen belly flasher (non strobe). This not terribly bright bulb costs $37, it turns out.  When I eventually go with all LED position lights and wing tip strobes, this light will simply get removed - I hadn't realized until this thread that it's legal to do this.   

The belly strobe was removed from my '78 J years ago. All that's required are the appropriate wingtip strobes. I'd bet it adds at least a knot. I kept my step though as it really does make boarding easier for small people.
9fec35deb6baaecc324327a6ad50ec77.jpg

Can someone clarify...

Listed in the POH as equipment = not the Type Certificate data.

Type certificate data = on file with the FAA.

Removing something in POH equipment list does not require a 337 form.

Removing something in the TC requires a 337 form.

Is this correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk