Baggage compartment light

NotarPilot

Has anyone installed a light in the baggage compartment (legally) or say, a second map light up front?  I'm trying to figure if there is a legal path to do this.  My inclination is that it would be a simple log entry as long as you use PMA'd or TSO'd parts.  Or would a DER need to get involved for a Field Approval?  Thoughts?

If you don't "install" it (ie. Velcro, or otherwise removable without tools), you are good to go. To "install" it, and the installing A&P, deems it a minor modification, a logbook entry will do it. Otherwise it takes an STC or 337 to do it legally. 

Copy one from another Mooney M20... No STC required...

The Long Bodies have a switch next to the baggage area connected to a light.  It is not on the main circuit and left live for loading after dark...

The only thing bad... it is a great way to accidently run the electricity without knowing you did it.  Dead battery ensues....

Best regards,

-a-

1 minute ago, carusoam said:

The only thing bad... it is a great way to accidently run the electricity without knowing you did it.  Dead battery ensues....

Unless your hangar elf has built in a timer circuit. Or unless someone has installed a timer from a late model Mooney (as I understand it)

• Like 1

I think this installation of a baggage dept light should require the most vigorous testing and a new type cert,for all Mooney m20 aircraft!Full flight testing,stall and spin certs, would be necessary to provide protection to the flying public.Also in the advent of a super nova event in galaxy nc1599923 ,predicted in year AD 2702,full gamma ray testing should be done asap.Sincerly Charles E SAvemyjob esq FAA safety standards div,Oklahoma city OK.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, triple8s said:

Should've been a switch that was incorporated into the baggage latch and the light comes on when the door isn't latched. That might prevent the less sharp pilot from taking off with the door unlatched. 

Yep, refrigerator style. One of my dad's cousin did that with his basement door.

I am surprised your J doesn't have the baggage light. I can't recall if it was on my prior 231, buts its on my 252 and I thought it was standard on the mid-body's. But since you don't have one it must have been after your year model. Assuming it is on later J's, copying what's in the current J IPC would give you an easy no questions asked minor mod approach as Anthony said. I've thought about adding the Mooney timer circuit myself but am afraid to ask what the part cost. I should go Don's route. 

• Like 1

My 1980 M20J came with a baggage compartment light, the bad news was if you accidentally hit the switch say pulling a set of golf clubs out during the day you would not notice that the light was on and when you got back to the airplane your battery is dead. My M20R has a time built in so it automatically shuts the light of in a few minutes. As for a map light make sure you have the correct bulb in it. I replaced a bulb that was out in my M20J once with the wrong bulb and it did not give off the same amount of light that was originally in it.