3rd Class Medical Reform

I read through the PDF and it's all good. It appears that all the pilot will be required to do is get his physician to sign the form that they examined the items on the checklist and any deficiencies were explained, in addition to how certain drugs could interfere with flying. At the conclusion, the pilot is required to carry the signed form in their logbook and nothing is transmitted directly to the FAA.

Where there is currently a no-fly list of diseases and conditions which could ground someone when they currently see an AME, one of my takeaways was that the onus is on the pilot to self-ground. Seems to me this area could be easily abused. What if he or she undergoes an angioplasty with no complications and then feels well enough to fly three weeks after the procedure? Currently a pilot is grounded for a minimum of six months and needs to submit all kinds of cardiac tests to the FAA in order to get their medical back.

This has been a long time coming and I'm glad those in congress who passed it and the short-timer in the White House who signed it into law saw the value of it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2017 at 2:56 PM, flyboy0681 said:

What if he or she undergoes an angioplasty with no complications and then feels well enough to fly three weeks after the procedure? Currently a pilot is grounded for a minimum of six months and needs to submit all kinds of cardiac tests to the FAA in order to get their medical back.

That is addressed in the new regulation:

"Persons who have, or are newly diagnosed with, a cardiovascular, neurological, or mental health condition described in FESSA, may not use BasicMed until they have been found eligible for special issuance of a medical certificate."

Can't hop in and fly after three weeks under this rule any more than you can under the current rules.

Jon

At least I didn't waste my time,  I wonder what if  there are any hidden caveats?

I will give you one caveat. I was under the impression that the FAA 3rd class medical was more stringent than the BasicMed evaluation.

So for guys like us who just completed a 3rd class expecting that we were golden for 4 years, it was a surprised that we will need to have the BasicMed medical 2 years from now if we intend on converting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Since I just got my third class I'm good for two years I'll surely not go the basic med route until then, so I can fly up to fl 250 for a couple yrs. I usually only go above 18000 for weather, I do enjoy the right to go 25000 when needed 

Here's what CNN reported.  Has this rule published in the Federal Register?  It sounds like it could potentially be delayed even if it has.

"For any regulations that have yet to be sent for publishing in the Federal Register, the memo asks the agency to not send any regulation to the Federal Register until reviewed by someone selected by the President.

For those that have been sent but not published, the White House ordered the regulations withdrawn.

There are regulations have been published but have not reached their effective date. The memo instructs those regulations to be delayed for 60 days for review -- with a potential that a new notice for reopening the regulation could occur."

5 hours ago, N601RX said:

I don't believe they can stop this, it is the result of congress passing a law and the president signing it. If it is delayed then after 1 year you could still fly under the provisions of the law. 

If they don't go into effect by July, we can use them to fly as if they were issued. The reason for the non-issue isn't important, that's in the legislation, not the regulations just issued by the FAA.

1 hour ago, Hank said:

If they don't go into effect by July, we can use them to fly as if they were issued. The reason for the non-issue isn't important, that's in the legislation, not the regulations just issued by the FAA.

True, but it was Obama who signed it. 

I hope not, or this will affect the Part 23 rewrite as well. I just sat through a days' worth of IA renewal classes. One of them was taught by a guy who was on the rewrite committee. He said they intentionally sped up the process to get it done before the inauguration specifically in case this happened (it was done December 30).

In theory, if the regulation does not go into effect for a year, we are supposed to be able to act as if went into effect. That was due to the congress writing it that way. And to undo that, it would take congressional action. Again, this is in theory. Hard to guess what will really happen.

5 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

In theory, if the regulation does not go into effect for a year, we are supposed to be able to act as if went into effect. That was due to the congress writing it that way. And to undo that, it would take congressional action. Again, this is in theory. Hard to guess what will really happen.

Yep. The legislation said ifnthenrefulations weren't in place in a year, we can fly as if they are. So come July, regs or no, BasicMed is on.

• Like 1

Yes in June we follow the law regardless of what happens and the FAA can always get the rules published in the future.

Just maybe the reviewer will look at the rule and make them much easier than what the FAA is proposing and do only what is explicitly stated in the law passed by congress and signed by the previous president

Questions to be answered every 2 years

1. Do you get a regular general physical by a medical doctor? (Y/N)

2. Have you seen a medical doctor for a general physical in the past 4 years? (y/n)

3. Do you have any conditions a medial doctor has released you to perform normal activity including driving a vehicle? (y/n)

4. Do you visit that doctor regularly or have been completely released for conditions in item 3? (y/n)

If you have answered YES to the 4 questions above congratulations you can still fly.  Go have fun and spur the economy on with you activities.

:D

See I'd make a good director for the FAA and this took me all of 5 minutes to write the rules and that was with a bathroom break.

Now let's move on the Part 23 and Class II medicals.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 1964-M20E said:

Yes in June we follow the law regardless of what happens and the FAA can always get the rules published in the future.

Just maybe the reviewer will look at the rule and make them much easier than what the FAA is proposing and do only what is explicitly stated in the law passed by congress and signed by the previous president

Questions to be answered every 2 years

1. Do you get a regular general physical by a medical doctor? (Y/N)

2. Have you seen a medical doctor for a general physical in the past 4 years? (y/n)

3. Do you have any conditions a medial doctor has released you to perform normal activity including driving a vehicle? (y/n)

4. Do you visit that doctor regularly or have been completely released for conditions in item 3? (y/n)

If you have answered YES to the 4 questions above congratulations you can still fly.  Go have fun and spur the economy on with you activities.

:D

See I'd make a good director for the FAA and this took me all of 5 minutes to write the rules and that was with a bathroom break.

Now let's move on the Part 23 and Class II medicals.

Do I have to answer yes to all 4?  What if I don't have any conditions and I answer no to #3? ;)