211º

B737 Ice

31 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, Brian Scranton said:

Makes me think that cameras positioned along the fuselage above/below the wing/tail would be a good idea so you can see control surfaces. Does the 787 or A380 (ie, any next gen aircraft) have these?

I know the 777 does, as well as the A340, A350 and A380.

B777.jpg

1 person likes this

*Members that donate $10 or more do not see advertisements*

On 10/01/2017 at 2:18 PM, 211º said:

I'm curious if this was an issue or if the airplane probably would've powered through it.

After fueling the 737, ice appeared on the wing from the fuselage to about 30' out on the wing - from the leading edge and back to the flaps.

Before taxiing, I mentioned this to the stewardess who said she told the captain. A couple of minutes later, we stopped on a taxiway and the captain got out of the cockpit, came back to the exit rows, and shown a bright light on the wing.

Subsequently, we returned and were deiced.

My proposed discussion topic: can a 737 or other commercial jet "power through" this disturbed lift issue and the flyaway just fine? Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think the crash in the potemac river answers that question. 

So that Russian video takeoff with an obvious layer of over night snow...legal takeoff?

For the Russians maybe   :-)

On Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 9:19 PM, cliffy said:

The Wash DC 737 had the engine antiice turned off and the pressure tubes on the front of the engines iced over giving a false reading on the EPR (exhaust gas pressure) ratio gauge in the cockpit showing way more thrust than they actually had.

I know Cliffy just mis-typed, but EPR is Engine Pressure Ratio.  EPR is (simplified) pressure at the tailpipe compared to pressure at the inlet.  These used to be used on a lot of jets because they measure thrust, but because of their propensity to give false readings, they have fallen from popularity and most of the time power is set with reference to N1 RPM now.  There are exceptions, though.

Edited by Mooneymite

Yup just a typo. EPR was used mostly in earlier jets like 727, early 737 etc. as the primary thrust setting instrument. Many pilots that I taught got into the habit of not even looking at the other gauges once EPR was set. The FL accident woke a lot of them up.

2 people like this