A new look for N10933

aviatoreb

So N10933 is coming along in her pheonix rising.  I told in another thread a few weeks ago I had sent it for a tank reseal prior to painting last year, and a wing spar cap corrosion was found - and that was very depressing - and expensive to fix.  But thanks to Dave at AirMods in NJ, that is all fixed and behind me.  Thanks Dave!

So then it went back to Weepnomore in Wilmar, MN, to do that reseal, and also I got LR tanks.

By this time I figured I was in it for a long haul and it really is a super nice airplane, so eh, time to really make it new again.  ....and I always wanted Bruce Jaeger's system - and he is right there also at Wilmar.  So....thank you Bruce - he installed the Interiors STC interior mod that he does, and it looks fantastic - and it is true as he said, not only is it clean, and clean lines, but it really does give a bit more room.  Most obvious is the extra elbow room which is most welcome for a big guy like me.  Plus Bruce sublets leather upholstery to SCS interiors in Duluth, a company that does all sorts of things, including the oem for custom interiors for cirrus.  Anyway I worked with them and you can see the result. I picked colors called "umber" and I asked custom for perforated leather, and also for the base cushion to be 2.5'' longer than original which is much more comfortable for my long legs.   and new rugs.  And bruce set me up with lots and lots of leather pockets!  7 in all!  I love it!  Pictures attached.

Plus a picture of the pick up day on Fri (-5F on the field! in MN) (and wow the rocket has quite decent heating but... it was cold at -30 at FL19 on the way home on Sat!).

Then she goes to the paint shop next month.  More pictures will follow.

Let me say everybody in this group of people was fantastic.  Thank you all!  Paul, Eric, David, Bruce!

20170103_090313-1.jpg

20170104_132810-1.jpg

20170104_132821-1.jpg

20170104_132843-1.jpg

20170104_132851-1.jpg

IMG_0084.JPG

• Like 15

I hate seeing stuff like this because it makes my 2000 ovation look all worn out and I feel an unnecessary compulsion to spend money.

But I am spending money today, I think my encoding altimeter is going sideways, so I have that to look forward to.

1 hour ago, 1964-M20E said:

looking good so far

Do my eyes deceive me 4 blade prop or am I seeing double again?

You betcha!  That's 4 blades!

Its the MT four blade.  It makes the heavy nose 6 cylinder big bore mooneys light on the nose...it takes about 35lbs off the tip of the nose which really changes W&B. Plus they sound very very cool.  Better clearance too.  I sorta like the way it looks too.  :-)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KSMooniac said:

Someone robbed the P-51 parts bin!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I tried to squeeze in a Merlin but it wouldn't fit so its still sporting a Contental.  But at least the 4 blade p51 blade fit!  And the machine guns!

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Mark89114 said:

I hate seeing stuff like this because it makes my 2000 ovation look all worn out and I feel an unnecessary compulsion to spend money.

But I am spending money today, I think my encoding altimeter is going sideways, so I have that to look forward to.

While its in the shop getting your encoder fixed is a great time to get new interior, paint, long range tanks, 4 blade prop and reseal too - just like me.  Eh once you start spending too much money, then it sorta becomes like what the heck, I already spent too much money, so what difference is "a little bit more".

Oh - I forgot the last bit of my project - I will have the yokes covered in leather by Hector at aerocomfort during the time 933 is down for paint.  ..plus I have a new tail number on file pending at the FAA.

• Like 2

Just now, gsxrpilot said:

I saw your bird while it was at Air Mods... It looks a lot better now. Beautiful.

Thanks!

Dave is quite a magician.  That is quite a project.  The paint is looking very rough right now which is pretty funny with such a nice interior eh?  But that paint will be looking gorgeous by early March.  It will be an all new look by the way. 

1 hour ago, aviatoreb said:

Thanks!

Dave is quite a magician.  That is quite a project.  The paint is looking very rough right now which is pretty funny with such a nice interior eh?  But that paint will be looking gorgeous by early March.  It will be an all new look by the way. 

I also saw your bird at airmods a while back. The wing skins were pealed back and Dave was getting ready to lift the fuselage off the wing to get to the final few fasteners before removing the spar cap. Quite an impressive site! Every time I visit I am impressed by Dave's skill. Great to see it back in the air!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, N6758N said:

I also so your bird at airmods a while back. The wing skins were pealed back and Dave was getting ready to lift the fuselage off the wing to get to the final few fasteners before removing the spar cap. Quite an impressive site! Every time I visit I am impressed by Dave's skill. Great to see it back in the air!

Yeah - he does much bigger more impressive jobs than mine by a lot / a true magician.

1 hour ago, aviatoreb said:

You betcha!  That's 4 blades!

Its the MT four blade.  It makes the heavy nose 6 cylinder big bore mooneys light on the nose...it takes about 35lbs off the tip of the nose which really changes W&B. Plus they sound very very cool.  Better clearance too.  I sorta like the way it looks too.  :-)

Did you redo the WB or did you weigh the difference?

The Rocket has a feathering prop, correct?