ADS-B Flight validation test

N6758N

As more and more people are equipping their aircraft with ADS-B, I thought I would make a thread relating to the validation test flight. I know it has been discussed a few times previously in other threads, but this should be a good place for people to share their various experiences with the test flight and getting the rebate. I just installed my 330ES this weekend and am looking to fly one evening this week after work. Can anyone share their experiences with what has worked best? I am looking to only do this once, hopefully I can learn from others trial and error. My plan is to go into the the Philly Bravo airspace and spend 30+ minutes inside the airspace with varying speeds, climbs, descents, and a couple of 360 turns in each direction. I have read the AC and am familiar with what has to happen, but I know things aren't always the same on paper as they are in the real world system. Hoping I can stay in the system long enough to get the test done before I get vectored out of the airspace due to the KPHL evening push. Thanks in advance!

I can attest that the flight is quite simple, I did my flight on 1-8-2017 and picked tpa airspace.  I departed fd04 for kvdf and stayed under the airspace the entire time, this allowed me to do my standard rate 360 turns in both directions as well as ascending and descending turns without talking to approach.  I then proceeded to Tampa Executive, landed and taxied with departure to the north.  Again I stayed under the class b airspace, proceeded west to the coast and then turned back to Ocala again staying under the class b.  Total time in class b airspace was 45min.   On returning home, I checked on my performance report which is greek to me, but a status report is also given which was all green which what you are looking for.  Good luck.

Blaine Hoffman

gtx345r installed 1/6/17

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ovation3 said:

I can attest that the flight is quite simple, I did my flight on 1-8-2017 and picked tpa airspace.  I departed fd04 for kvdf and stayed under the airspace the entire time, this allowed me to do my standard rate 360 turns in both directions as well as ascending and descending turns without talking to approach.  I then proceeded to Tampa Executive, landed and taxied with departure to the north.  Again I stayed under the class b airspace, proceeded west to the coast and then turned back to Ocala again staying under the class b.  Total time in class b airspace was 45min.   On returning home, I checked on my performance report which is greek to me, but a status report is also given which was all green which what you are looking for.  Good luck.

Blaine Hoffman

gtx345r installed 1/6/17

Thanks Blaine,

You stayed inside the Bravo ring, but underneath it? Interesting because I did not think it would work without being truly 'inside' the Bravo. Sure would make it a lot easier for me if I could just loiter underneath the Philly Bravo ring.

I can attest to the fact that you don't have to be inside the Class B airspace or even talk to anyone.

I did my validation flight inside the Mode C veil of the DTW Class B.  At no time was I in the B or even underneath any of the shelves.  Never talked to anyone except UNICOM at my home airport.  35 minutes of just basic sightseeing below 3000' AGL and got my check less than 10 days later.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

I can attest to the fact that you don't have to be inside the Class B airspace or even talk to anyone.

I did my validation flight inside the Mode C veil of the DTW Class B.  At no time was I in the B or even underneath any of the shelves.  Never talked to anyone except UNICOM at my home airport.  35 minutes of just basic sightseeing below 3000' AGL and got my check less than 10 days later.

Thanks Andy. My home airport lies inside but underneath the Philly Bravo shelf. Sounds like I just need to go putz around this evening staying inside the mode C veil. I wouldn't think a landing is necessary (other than the last one haha) Maybe just some slow flight and 360 turns.

• Like 1

Just got home from the test flight. I flew around my home airport (KOQN) for about 31 minutes, then landed. Did a bunch of climbing turns and descents. 360's and flew all 4 cardinal headings. As stated previously, I was never inside the Bravo shelf, only underneath it. Its a PASS! I submitted the rebate codes, but now I have to submit either proof of purchase or the 337 from installation. Apparently since the 330 is software upgradable to ES, they only give rebates to those installing the transponder as new equipment. Sucks for those who already have an existing 330 non ES looking to upgrade, fortunately this was replacing my GTX 327 so I should be okay. I emailed them the 337 so fingers crossed I will be getting a check soon. Thanks again for all the help.

• Like 1

After I finished the installation, I had some routine cross-country flying to do before I would have a chance to do an "official" ADS B flight.  So, I thought I'd try and see what the result was after the second flight.  To my delight it PASSED!  Check's in the mail!  No maneuvers or special stuff.  I was adjacent to the ATL Class B airspace, but that's it...

• Like 3