long range tank fuel drain valve

peevee

It depends on the model, my Bravo has the same drain as prior to the installation, I also only have one filler cap per wing, I believe mike has two per wing, could be different between long body and short. Jose.....where are you 

1 hour ago, kortopates said:

Yes. be careful replacing them. They can be easily overly torqued.

I'm surprised they aren't safety wired. 

I'll supply the part and let the A&P handle it, too critical and easy to mess up as you say. 

13 minutes ago, peevee said:

The monroy tanks do. I don't know about any other model than the K. 

Exactly, they are for the extra bay filled by the Monroy tanks.

Safety wiring is essentially impossible. The only thing to safety wire the flush drain would be on the inside of the tank.

They are not hard to re-install, just use a torque wrench and stop. Too many people, including A&P's, will keep tightening trying to stop a drip and before you know it they have over stressed the 2 little rivets holding the nut plate on. If it's dripping, it needs to come back out and clean up whatever is the problem. Usually it goes easily but with gas pouring out of an undrained tank its a pain. Pull it out on the ramp to replace it and be ready and quick when the old drain comes out - so you don't let gas get all over you.

It is hard to damage the wing by over torquing the fuel drain.  The self sacrificial drain snaps in half at a relatively low torque.

My mechanic gave me this advice, then I went out and seated it in my old C, and gave it about a 1/4 turn or something similar. Dreaded click...

Best regards,

-a-

Anyone else a little frightened their fuel supply is only held captive by 60in lbs and no safety wire? 

The more little things I do on these, the less I want to fly them. 

Especially when I saw how the speed brakes attached. 

Edited by peevee

What happens if the speed brakes break?  Other than 'watch out below', the asymmetrical deployment doesn't have much of an effect that I can tell.  My experience comes from using them as their clutches wear out .  Sooner or later one doesn't operate. One thing for sure, Braking will be half the normal rate.

As far as the tank drain goes... there must be something holding it in (friction).  Because, if it vibrated out until the safety wire holds it. The fuel is going to leak out along the threads anyway, just slowly at first...

Reminds me to get those CIES floats and compare fuel used to the fuel totalizer's fuel used.  If they are different, something is leaking...

Thinking out loud,

-a-

7 minutes ago, carusoam said:

What happens if the speed brakes break?  Other than 'watch out below', the asymmetrical deployment doesn't have much of an effect that I can tell.  My experience comes from using them as their clutches wear out .  Sooner or later one doesn't operate. One thing for sure, Braking will be half the normal rate.

As far as the tank drain goes... there must be something holding it in (friction).  Because, if it vibrated out until the safety wire holds it. The fuel is going to leak out along the threads anyway, just slowly at first...

Reminds me to get those CIES floats and compare fuel used to the fuel totalizer's fuel used.  If they are different, something is leaking...

Thinking out loud,

-a-

The brakes I'd worry about popping the bottom bolts or coming loose and tearing a wing skin. Lots of torque applied to that upper skin. I guess if they depart the airframe its probably more annoying than anything. 

They say asymmetrical deployment is a non event. Never happened to me but ours are pretty flaky right now so it'll happen eventually 

Edited by peevee
  • Like 1

PV

The like button is probably not the proper response for having a wing skin get torn.  But the  'I see your point' button wasn't available... :)

What keeps me mildly less fearful of this situation is the flock mentality.  I have one mooney, built the same as so many other Mooneys...  if something simple goes awry because a failure of design, materials or construction.... I will probably not be the first person to become aware of the issue.

Having MS available adds and subtracts from my comfort level.  Some things I learn about, I would have never considered...

Best regards,

-a-