Declaring an emergency, .....or not.

Mooneymite

Just now, gsxrpilot said:

Hahahah... the one sure thing about Internet forums is that as soon as someone says that is their last post on a subject, they are sure to make one more just to remove any doubt as to their status as an ass.

Or it might just be this miserable cold weather...

and some wonder why my reluctance to comment on the subject.

don't you have a plane in pieces somewhere to go visit?

• Like 2

First off peeves your the best I enjoy and benefit from your responses.

Ive declared twice the first time I landed at ESN iced over, that's not why I declared, was tracked down by a controller who merely asked if I was alright, that was 30+ years ago.The second time no bother from anyone.

4 minutes ago, peevee said:

and some wonder why my reluctance to comment on the subject.

don't you have a plane in pieces somewhere to go visit?

I think its awesome we have a controller on this forum - really appreciate your post's -- keep them up!.

I also wish we had more adventure travel minded pilots like I expect Paul will be when his 252 is out of the shop - like mine is too right now ;(

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DonMuncy said:

Peevee,

Please quote what you are responding to, or better yet, elaborate. We value your opinions/knowledge and would like to know for sure what you are saying.

Sorry. Can't do it anymore. It opens me up to too many repercussions and its not worth it. 

Edited by peevee

I'm a bureaucrat and I can tell you that sometimes we do things to justify (funding for) our positions. Most of it is due to implied directions from our superiors who are making attempts to pad their oversight statistics subsequently making them look better. For example, if a tomato inspector isn't finding any problems with the tomatoes then maybe there aren't as many problems with the tomatoes and we have too many inspectors. Can't have that!!! Then there would be less Mooney owners, Mooneyspace would shutdown due to lack of membership, etc.

• Like 1

I have declared twice and the worst result, in only one of them, was a polite (and actually enjoyable) chat in the phone with a friendly ASI.

And, when I do my FAA enforcement talk, I list declaring an emergency as a good way to avoid enforcement action.

Whether this situation was a "cowboy" ASI, an issue with a maintenance shop that was already being watched, or some other "rest of the story," I don't know.

It usually is, but if you think about it, it simply can't always be a non-event. But I would never hesitate declaring an emergency. 

I declared once, over Canada enroute to New York.  No investigation other than Can. police and customs meeting me on the ground.  They had had to roll emergency vehicles, so that was probably the reason.  They were quick and professional and the presence of oil dripping from /the entire belly spoke for itself.  I would declare again in a heartbeat if it were necessary.  Dealing with hassles on the ground is nothing compared with the outcome of an air emergency gone wrong.

Didn't realize that ATC are now required to report anomalies.  It would explain the call I received from the local FSDO last year after my right main went flat on roll out.  Certainly not an emergency and I did clear the active runway but couldn't get into the ramp without assistance from the FBO.  The inspector was very cordial and just asked about where I departed from.  Literally a two minute call but definitely alarming when they come looking for you via the FBO the day after...

1 hour ago, rbridges said:

Gus, I'm glad you're alright.  I did leave an anonymous tip that you had cocaine hidden in your engine block.  Could explain all the questions.

Ha, ha, ha!!!  I had it hidden under my hub caps.  That's why he couldn't find it.  :lol:

In reply to other posts:  

No, there was never a conflict with other traffic.  

I did not squawk 7700.  I was talking to ATC.  It was aware of my situation.  Things happened very quickly.  Perhaps I would have if there was more time, or had ATC suggested it.

The repairs and mechanics involved were not in the FAA's gunsight.  All good guys.  

The FAA inspector's area of expertise was avionics, my mechanical failure did not involve avionics.  

I did call AOPA and discuss the issue.  It was "mildly" interested in the event.