M20J vs. M20R comparison

Tx_Aggie

8 hours ago, kmyfm20s said:

I just got my Savvy report card. My median cruise speed is 176 ktas and my median nmpg was 14.

At what configuration are you getting 14 nmpg @ 176 KTAS ?

The only way that can happen with an IO550 is always flying in a tailwind !!!!!

Maybe you mean 14 gph?

1 hour ago, aviatoreb said:

Right - its coupled to the GPS so it might know GS and fuel flow so it knows nmpg but not in terms of TAS.

Exactly, but some of the engine monitors actually do provide TAS, not common on certified units, but more common on experimental.

4 hours ago, Cruiser said:

At what configuration are you getting 14 nmpg @ 176 KTAS ?

The only way that can happen with an IO550 is always flying in a tailwind !!!!!

Maybe you mean 14 gph?

My normal flights to my offices are between 6500-8500', 173 ktas, WOT, 12.5 gph and at 2400 rpm. This gives 13.84nmpg. 12.5 gph seems to be a pretty much a set and forget number at all altitudes to keep you out of the red box and get around 173 ktas. 

• 4 years later...

It’s interesting how we look back and think, why did I say those things? 

4 years after starting this thread I’ve learned a few more points I’d like to share for anyone else looking at the different models. 

I would later go on to figure out that the “J” I was referring to was not a J but rather an “F” model with a few 201 mods but they are entirely different airplanes from a performance standpoint. The fella I flew with was confident his F was a J equivalent because they had the same engine and he had a 201 from windshield. I would later learn the J models are very much higher performance machines - no disrespect meant to the F model flyers. 

I continued to fly the F until the owner sold it not too long ago. During COVID, we had all but had it being cooped up waiting for an opportunity to go somewhere during the summer when my wife agreed on purchasing a plane of our own. While we looked and researched several models from the other brands, I kept coming back to the famous 155 knots on 10-11 gph, best bang for the buck mantras I kept seeing on this forum. As others have mentioned, and the ovation is no doubt nice and fast, but more than twice the acquisition cost of a J to go 16% faster. 

I wound up finding a great 1980 J for a very reasonable price and have been a proud owner for almost a year now. While I may opt for an R or and M later in life, I’ve been quite pleased with the performance, affordability (relative to airplanes) and IFR stability of the M20J! It’s a great airplane and gets every bit of 155-160 ktas at the altitudes I initially discussed. 

• Like 3