B/K GPS Data Loader & Win10

carqwik

Got a new computer with Windows 10.  For some reason...the GPS Data Loader program can't find the SanDisk ImageMate but the Device Manager in Windows sees it just fine.  Anyone got a clue how to make this old B/K program work in Win10 so it can talk to the ImageMate?

I went through this a few months ago.  Image Mate will not work with Win 10.  I got a cable to plug into my KLN 94.  You download to the PC then plug into the 94 or 89 if you have a external plug wired into your instrument panel.  The steps for the download to the 94 are not very straight forward  so you may need to call Wingman help.  This works best with a laptop.  You need to an additional device to make the transfer to the GPS at the right speed.  I sold all the stuff so I cannot tell you what to get.  I waited a couple of years to see if King would improve the 770 but this problem was the last straw so  bought a 750.  Good Luck.

I idea of using XP is OK if it does not have Service Pak 3.  I have a tablet which had XP then during an update I picked up Service Pak 3.  I could no longer pick up the database updates from King.  I talked to the help desk which was no help.  King could only suggest a new computer and cable.

I had some difficulty with my KLN90B.  Every year I tried putting in some effort.  I finally gave up after a couple years of swapping out data cartridges...

Calling wingman services is a great idea.  They will sit with you on the phone for as long as it takes. They call you back like they said they would.

My problem was basically my phone, my computer and my plane were never in the same place, timezone or decade at the same time.

Final result.  Handed my daughter's updated PC to my avionics guru, let him do the work...

the BK download software was easy to obtain off the net.

A handful of downloads I got from an MSer are working perfectly.  I just used last year's database for the first time...:) so much for the 28 day cycle...

the BK OS needs a particular version to be updatable.  Check the screen of the KLN for this...

the KLN needs to be communicating with the PC. Test for this is easy.  (Major failure for me, needed a new cable)

Also, required hardware is a USB to RS232 cable available from Walmart at a low buck price.

One important thing... KLN memory is at an all time low compared to the data you are trying to up load. to upload new data, it requires you to erase the old data...  don't do that unless you are ready...

unloading the data from my KLN put navigating via GPS on hold for a long time.  I have been a VFR VOR guy for a long time...  read this clearly, erasing the database makes the KLN into a brick. Not being able to update the KLN keeps it in brick state for a long period of time.

Does that help?

Best regards,

-a-

I used my daughter's Windows10 machine.  It worked.

Talking with wingman services, they didn't have a windows 10 machine available....

Extra difficult to be accidently on the leading edge looking for tech service when the tech service guy isn't on the same OS...

I've tried handing my tech issues over to my kids, like they show on TV....   nothing but blank stares like I grew horns or something...:)

Best regards,

-a-

40 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

Any computer will download the database - it's the XP with Service Pack 2 or less that transfers the data via the GPS Database Loader program to the card or the unit.

+1, just traded out my KLN 89b for a 94 so I could save some cash and do the updates myself (I had been having the data cards mailed to me which is almost double the cost). Had to find an old laptop with XP and then restore it to service pack 2. Bought the sandisk card reader on eBay (look for one with the software update). Have done two updates now no issues.