New Mooney Owner

47 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Will you be flying with Cpt. Thomas D. Callahan?

He is a Rtd. Delta pilot with MAPA CFII experience.

There are a lot of Delta guys with Mooney experience.  This is the one I got to fly with back in 2012.

Best regards,

-a-

Anthony, did you hear about Tom's fall? I guess he spent some time in the hospital recently and isn't doing CFI stuff anymore, with the exception of Gliders.

1 hour ago, mooneyflier said:

I thought it was kinda funny what the controller said when were getting close to his Atlanta Brovo airspace on this VFR flight, "Cirrus were you planning to transition direct through Brovo? If so, that ain't gonna happen! Say intentions".

That's my experience, too. I live 30 Mooney minutes from ATL, and have yet to be cleared into the Bravo. On the south side, head for CINKA intersection, near KMLJ, turn west then head for home once past ATL's airspace. KPIM in Georgia and 06A in Alabama both have low fuel prices; the last I bought at 06A was $3.35 a couple of weeks ago (full service only, when the FBO is open).

Fly safe!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, N6758N said:

Anthony, did you hear about Tom's fall? I guess he spent some time in the hospital recently and isn't doing CFI stuff anymore, with the exception of Gliders.

Terry,

That's news to me.  Sorry to hear about that.  Tom spent a couple of days flying with me and my O a few years ago at a MAPA event. Time flies...

Best regards,

-a-

2 hours ago, Hank said:

I live 30 Mooney minutes from ATL, and have yet to be cleared into the Bravo. 

Around Cincinnati, we're often cleared into the Class B when we get flight following simply near or under the Bravo.  I think that maybe it helps their numbers and to keep their Bravo (and pay) status.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, 211º said:

Around Cincinnati, we're often cleared into the Class B when we get flight following simply near or under the Bravo.  I think that maybe it helps their numbers and to keep their Bravo (and pay) status.

I've also been cleared into Cinci Bravo, going into Lunken. But no joy in ATL.

15 hours ago, N6758N said:

Tom's a wonderful guy,  truly seasoned aviatior, and excellent Mooney CFI - until recently he was my go to guy for training.   He was DPE for my PPI checkride and then did my transition training into my Mooney the next month.  I was upset recently when he said he couldn't fly with me under the hood anymore because he lost his medical and couldn't be PIC.  I don't know what happened but really hope he makes it back.  In the meantime I need a new CFI for IR work...

• Like 2

Very nice.  Congrats.  I am a first-time owner myself as of the beginning of 2016.  One of the best things I did was subscribe to SavvyMX maintenance management.  It cost us $750 per year but we easily saved more than that at our first annual.  They were invaluable in helping us sort out what really needed to be done, what could reasonably be deferred and what could be addressed with alternative methods that were less expensive.

If you have an engine monitor with downloadable data they will analyze it and help you learn how to analyze it.  We find this very helpful in staying ahead of engine and cylinder issues.

I don't have any financial interest in Savvy, just have found it to be very helpful.  They also have a YouTube channel with a series of excellent webinars that go into great detail on all of the aspects of ownership and maintenance.  

Good luck!

• Like 2

Congratulations and welcome aboard! I joined the community here last year, began flying, got my PPL, and bought my Mooney the beginning of December. They are great planes and the helpful, friendly folks here just make the ownership experience that much better.

I was looking at that plane before I bought my F. Good looking machine at a great price if I remember right. I'm based at KLGC. Fuel is $3.43/gallon. I'm a current cfii, Mooney owner and Delta bubba. I just don't have enough Mooney knowledge to pass along yet. I had zero time in a Mooney when I bought mine. It's a piece of cake to fly though! When Atlanta takes you south of the class Bravo, or under, watch out for tons of student pilots criss crossing the sky. Busy flight school at Newnan and Peachtree City. Often they will be in the pattern at Pine Mountain, La Grange and Carrollton. If you stop in LaGrange for fuel my F is in the big hangar getting a JPI 830 installed. The mechanics here are wonderful. Wander in and take a peak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

PIREP, after taking delivery.

First off, here are some pictures of the trip.

Secondly, we were vectored around Bravo (as we suspected) to the south.  I have a couple of questions already that I would like to post here to get some feedback but as for the flights here goes:

Departed JZI late in the day trying to get past ATL's Bravo before night fall.  Did not want to take a new plane (to us) at night.  Stopped in KMLJ because dark started setting in sooner.  That flight was uneventful and was our basic getting-to-know the aircraft landing and my CFI was left seat for this leg.

Next morning, got up and departed KMLJ about 10am and flew to Tuppelo, MS (KTUP) for lunch and to check on fuel.  It was my turn for left seat starting here and the landing was nice for my first one at KTUP.  Our fuel-burn from KMLJ to KTUP was 41.7gal, need to go back and look at the times for GPH check.  We had about a 16-25kt headwind (average) the whole way.  All legs, my CFI filed IFR.

Upon finishing lunch, we filed again for IFR direct to KCXW (base) and clouds were starting to roll in.  During this flight, we were filed at 6000/IFR and ran into a close layer at 5000 eventually extending up to 6500.  I got some great hard-IFR (IMC time for about 30 minutes before requesting 8000. ICE conditions were perfect and saw some ice build-up on my windshield mounted temp gauge but none on the wings. 

Winds aloft at 8 were stronger but got us to VFR-on-top conditions... simply beautiful.  We were able to transition Memphis' Bravo to the south into Arkansas. After passing MEM we got clearance for pilot's discretion 8000 to 4000 but we stayed at 8 until we got close enough to make our final decent.

Overall it was a great flight and great training for this low-time VFR rated pilot.  After some updates to the panel and equipment, IFR training will start next for me.

-b

IMG_20170108_115955.jpg

IMG_20170108_120044.jpg

IMG_20170108_174350.jpg

IMG_20170108_174354.jpg

IMG_20170109_121838.jpg

IMG_20170109_155304.jpg

IMG_20170109_155418.jpg

IMG_20170109_155427.jpg

IMG_20170109_161810.jpg

IMG_20170109_171157.jpg

IMG_20170109_173912.jpg

• Like 6

Now for the questions I have that you guys might be able to help with:

1. Gear Lights.  Electric Gear.  I have seen conflicting posts about this and cannot find anything in the POH about this question.  My '67 F has two lights, red & green. When the gear is down and locked it is green, confirmed.  When I retract the gear the green goes off and the red comes on... and stays on.  I have heard two stories about this.  Some say the red is okay to stay on and others say the red is only for transit.  The gear "feels" like it is up and indicated it is up in the window on the floor.  We don't hear any buffeting, noises, or notice increased drag from the gear not being up but this puzzles us.  Any thoughts?

2. Trim Tab. I understand that the trim is totally different than let's say a Cessna with a trim tab but at airspeed, the trim wheel is hard to turn.  Definitely not a two finger job.. nearly a whole palm grasp to turn.  On the ground it seems easy to turn.  Is this normal?

3. Nav Light. My F has installed strobes integrated into the NAV lights.  My green nav is out.  I need to get a parts manual but does anyone have the part-number or can point me in the direction to get a replacement bulb?

4. Landing / Taxi Light.  When I turn on the landing light, we get a squeel (not super loud that we can hear).  Not yet determined if the light has some kind of electrical interference with the old radios or something else.  It only is noticeable when the light is on.  Might be replacing that one with the LED version everyone is putting on it.

Thanks in advance.

1.) Green is locked. Red is unlocked. Red should always be lit unless its down and locked.

2.) You are trimming the entire tail. About 50 sq feet of it versus about 50 sq inches on a Cessna. At cruise, you will have more resistance. How much is up for determination. I wrap all my fingers around it to trim at cruise

56 minutes ago, Raptor05121 said:

1.) Green is locked. Red is unlocked. Red should always be lit unless its down and locked.

2.) You are trimming the entire tail. About 50 sq feet of it versus about 50 sq inches on a Cessna. At cruise, you will have more resistance. How much is up for determination. I wrap all my fingers around it to trim at cruise

1) that is what I suspected but wanted others opinions.

2) I get that and that was my suspension as well but glad to hear the feedback. Never expected it to feel like a Cessna but wondering what was too tight.

Bryan--congrats in a pretty plane and a good flight home. You'll really enjoy flying her!

Your gear lights are working correctly, as noted above.

The next time you're at the airport, run the trim all the way Up, then get out and look at the tail; take a picture. Then get back in, run the trim all the way Down, then get out and look at the tail again. Take another picture. Flip back and forth between pictures, that will show you why the trim isn't a two-finger job. Cessnas have trim tabs, little bitty things that move out on the end of the elevators. Your pictures will show you your Mooney's trim "tab."

At your next annual, with the belly off, find the trim jack screw. Inspect it for old, hard grease, and remove as much of it as you can. Lubricate it well with new grease. Should make it easier to turn.

My old GE landing light did the same, not really loud but constant. When it finally blew after several years, I put in a Whelen Parmetheus, no more whine. I also leave it on all the time, including in the hangar for about an hour during the last pitot-static test. (Oops!) But she cranked right up a couple of days later.

Fly safe!