New Mooney Owner

Hi everyone, my name is Bryan.  First time poster, and soon-to-be first time Mooney owner.  Been researching airplanes (several types) for about 6 months and finally found one.

I am purchasing a 1967 M20F in the next 24 hours.  Pre-buy is done, CFI ready, commercial flight purchased to get to aircraft, and pickup tomorrow.  I have seen some other related topics and you guys always ask for pictures.  So, here is a pics attached.

I chose this bird because of the following reasons:

• what looks like a great community (here!)
  • great performance for the $$
  • a chance to own an awesome aircraft
  • a aircraft that I can grow into - IFR cert next
  • something to have fun.

The plane will be housed at Conway, AR, KCXW, (Central Arkansas) as soon as an enclosed hanger opens up but for now it will be next door at KBDQ.

The plan is to fly out tomorrow with my CFI, long-time Delta pilot, and former Mooney owner - to Charleston, SC and fly her home.  I cannot wait!

So, I am prepping my Foreflight app with this bird and am trying to enter in the following information:

• Taxi/Takeoff Fuel Used - GPH
  • Climb True Airspeed
  • Climb Fuel Per Hour
  • Climb Rate (FPM)
  • Cruise - TAS
  • Cruise - GPH
  • Decent - TAS
  • Decent - GPH
  • Decent Rate (FPM)

I am looking most of these up in the POH but if anyone has ForeFlight and can help, that would be great.

Any other resources or advise you can give to a new owner is welcome!

-Bryan

display-asset (7).jpg

imagejpeg_3.jpg

display-asset.jpg

• Like 4

Beautiful! The rounded windows make her look like a J. You'll have a lot of ramp appeal. 

Hard to beat a vintage 'F in terms of capability per dollar. I think you'll love it. 

I have 70 hours in an F and here's what I use for performance in ForeFlight. These numbers are overly conservative on purpose... real world performance should be better. 

Climb: 110 ktas, 500 fpm, 14 gph

Cruise: 145 ktas, 10 gph

Descent*: 145 ktas, -500 fpm, 7 gph

*I pull the power out for my descent and go down at cruise airspeed to save gas. I think most people on MS keep their power in and enjoy a nice 165-knot descent. Up to you. 

• Like 1

F you!!!  lol.  welcome to the F club.  Your 1 piece rounded rear window and cowl mods are cool.  Great looking plane.  If you have a minute could you shoot some more pics of that cowl near the spinner.  I have that lasar part and just dont see how it fits without some serious cutting and bending.

• Like 2

Looks great..Very nice paint scheme. I would think two fuel stops would get it home with no problem. Good to see another Mooney in the mid-south.

Looks like about 507 miles @ 32g. This is just a quick look at FF. Not taking into account all your questions. Maybe just for the heck of make a stop at Athens KAHN and Fayetteville FYM for fuel and time to stretch and admire your new bird. It would break up the trip into simple legs and no pressure on fuel stops. I always plan more stops than necessary, that way I can enjoy the flight with no worries and keep safe margins.

-Tom

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, neilpilot said:

Should only need 1 fuel stop to get back from Charleston SC, unless winds are really fierce.  

Yep. Even in my slow C with less fuel. Look for somewhere in Tennessee with good fuel prices.

Edited by Hank
  • Like 1

Thank you all!

Thanks @3914N for the perf data.  I figured someone had a starting point.

In my research of the plane, I came across that older picture, too, and the user N17AC.

So one thing that I forgot to mention was this this aircraft has the Monroy Aux tanks for 100gal usable aboard.  Don't have a full W/B specs yet on this bird but will calc and come up with something reasonable for both the plane and the two of us aboard.

-b

Brian, welcome to the forum. That's a nice looking Mooney!

I and a friend made that flight in his Cirrus from Little Rock to Charleston Executive and back. Atlanta wouldn't let us transition through their airspace. They vectored us to the South side both times. That's probably best for your route of flight. If I was doing it in my M20E, I'd consider skirting Atlanta on the South side with one stop at KEET. With today's winds I'd use less than 40 gal when I got to KEET. That's the approximate midpoint to Morrilton. Airnav has some good comments for that airport and the SS fuel is $3.80/ gal. BTY, I'm hangared at KPGR. Just saw your reply about having 100 gal usable. You have the non-stop option, but I think you're looking at 6 + hrs. Hope this helps. Be safe!!

-Tom

@mooneyflier, thanks for the info.  I was looking at another M20E in Piggott, near you, but decided on this one because of equipment.  Good info on Atlanta, we may just plan around that bravo airspace - the commercial flights out of KLIT are crazy right now with all the weather and people trying to get where they are going.  I hope we can get out of here in the morning.

@neilpilot, the plane could do it "easy" but this new Mooney pilot might think otherwise.

25 minutes ago, mooneyflier said:

....I'd consider skirting Atlanta on the South side with one stop at KEET. With today's winds I'd use less than 40 gal when I got to KEET. 

PIM (Pine Mountain, GA near Calloway Gardens) usually has the cheapest fuel around ATL.  Nice folks and very easy in/easy out.

• Like 1