O&N Bladders new ownership, continued support.

Mooneymite

In case you missed this post in another thread.....

I got this email from Matt Griggs of Griggs Aviation today (1/7/2016).  It doesn't sound like the bladders are orphaned at all:

Hello Gus and thank you for contacting us. Yes we bought the STC's for all the fuel system that O&N previously owned. we are continuing to sell parts/ pieces/ support and new kits as well.  All of the people that work here used to work for O&N and actually our fuel tank guys are the ones that helped O&N design and build them for all these years.  At the moment we are in the process of getting our PMA setup here at our facility just waiting on the blessing from the FAA to be able to complete new kits. In the mean time we have parts we can ship out for people in need.  So please let everyone know that nothing has really changed other than the name and location.

GRIGGS AIRCRAFT REFINISHING  http://www.griggsaircraft.com/

• Like 6

Because this topic comes up from time to time, I just went out and checked the install date on the bladders in my C model.  Mine were installed in 1990 and have been completely trouble free for 26 years.  I keep my plane hangared and fly off of a turf runway.  I'm not sure if either of those have a bearing on my "leak free" history.

Does anyone on Mooneyspace have an older installation?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

Whew. I am really pleased for you guys who have, or want bladders.

Leaking tanks are one of the very few bad things about Mooneys.  Bladders are not for everyone, but they are liked by others.  It is good to have as many options as possible when it comes to solving problems.

I've never understood people being "against bladders".  

Edited by Mooneymite
  • Like 1

Just now, Mooneymite said:

Leaking tanks are one of the very few bad things about Mooneys.  Bladders are not for everyone, but they are liked by others.  It is good to have as many options as possible when it comes to solving problems.

I agree completely. I am happy with my wet tanks, but have no problem at all with those who prefer bladders. I was quite concerned for the people who have them, when I read the stories about them becoming unavailable, as, if I understand it, you can't go back once you install bladders.

15 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

I agree completely. I am happy with my wet tanks, but have no problem at all with those who prefer bladders. I was quite concerned for the people who have them, when I read the stories about them becoming unavailable, as, if I understand it, you can't go back once you install bladders.

I've heard that in the past, but if push came to shove, "where there's a will, there's a way".  The question would be "at what cost".

Once the bladders are installed, I suspect they could be maintained perpetually since O&N wasn't the manufacturer of the bladders themselves and the bladder manufacturer is probably still making bladders for all sorts of aircraft.  Other than the bladders, all the other stuff is just common hardware, or easily made gaskets, etc.

It's nice that Griggs has taken over support, but I was never worried about maintaining my bladders when O&N sold out any more than I was worried when Mooney went out of business.  Parts is parts.

Edited by Mooneymite
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mooneymite said:

I dunno.  I honestly feel superior to people with wet tanks.  In fact, I think we ought to have separate forums.    :P

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, rbridges said:

I dunno.  I honestly feel superior to people with wet tanks.  In fact, I think we ought to have separate forums.    :P

Now fuel system sectarianism is tearing the Mooney community apart. Thanks a lot ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cliffy said:

Yes but all the people on snob-bill OH I mean bladder hill tend to keep to their own kind  :-) :-)

I admit it.  We thought the non-bladderers were a bunch of incontinent drips.  :angry:

Edited by Mooneymite
  • Like 1