engine mounts?

eman1200

Assuming the horizon reflected in the spinner is level (big assumption), it does seem to have a bit of droop. Would be easier to tell with another shot from below the level of the prop to tell, though.

I the primary issue would be how little clearance you have at the bottom of spinner to cowl. And if the clearance is further being reduced by any cowl lift in flight. If you do have any cowl lift you can talk to LASAR about a stiffening kit they sell for the J model. If it's only engine sag on the mounts you can look at re-shimming it if the mounts are in good shape. But in sum, you have different options to address different causes of the lost clearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had new mounts a few years ago but not in alignment afterwards so I had it re-shimmed according to Don Maxwell instructions below.  Very pleased with the results.  Mine was not as bad as yours, but has been in alignment for the past 3 years after the adjustment  

http://www.donmaxwell.com/publications/MAPA_TEXT/Alining Engine Using Shims/ALIGNING_YOUR_ENGINE.HTM

When my C demonstrated that much droop...

1) I looked at the engine's rubber mounts... they were still there.

2) I continued to fly the plane...  the droop  Disappeared... :)

3) a feeling of 'that can't be right' occurred...  I know planes don't fix themselves.

4) stored outside, there are no transient hangar elves...

5) Check all weld points on the engine mount.  Mine lost the tabs that were connected to the bottom bolt.  The mount would sit on the mounting block one day and off it the next...

6) what's with all the oil running out the bottom?

There may only be four small bolts holding the engine mount to the plane. Flying around with three is not recommended.

If you are not sure what I mean, take a look at all four mounting bolts for the engine, post photos...

Both sides of the firewall have been known to have weirdness related to engine mounts.  Some Long Bodies have had insulation and carpet become involved with the hardware during the mount's installation. When the engine is mounted the insulation got squeezed and the bolts became loose...

Private pilot only. Not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

It certainly does not look correct.  I'm not sure if the diameter of the spinner matches the diameter of the cowl.  I know that the spinner on the 3 blade Hartzell is smaller than the cowl giving the illusion of drooping.

Clarence

Following what Doc has mentioned.

It looks like a new Hartzel on the plane.  It is possible that Hartzel has mis-matched the spinner diameter and the cowling.  

We would need a photo looking up from the bottom to judge if the gap is uniformly oversized, vs hanging low with a large gap at the top.

My Hartzel spinner on the O is about 1/4" too small. Uniformly centered, of course! :)

Best regards,

-a-