Inspect M20J in San Antonio TX for perspective buyer?

wester1970

Hi Everyone, 

I am super new to the forum.  I am looking to purchase a venerable M20J model.  I have located one for sale that is a good price in San Antonio, TX.  But I am currently living in California.  I was wondering if any of you senior Mooney Aviators might be willing to do an inspection for me for some Paypal $$.

Looking for someone to:

1. Have a digital camera so you can take pictures and email / upload them for me.

2. Review log books (i have not seen them)

3. Inspect aircraft for me (not like a mechanic would but just verify what the current owner claims)

The idea here would be to save me the money and time of having to fly to TX and inspect something, get all the way there and have the aircraft be mis-represented.  

The current owner is not on email and does not have a digital copy of the log books and does not have a way to take pictures :( So thats why I am reaching out.

We can discuss your rate and how many hours you feel is necessary for this!

The aircraft is currently hangared at Kestrel 1T7

Thank you kindly.

• Like 1

Welcome aboard, wester.

Standby for Somebody in TX...

You might find that there is a Mooney sales organization in Spring Branch, TX called All American Aircraft.

Jimmy and David both have been selling Moonies worldwide for decades.

If this is one of their birds for sale, they are pretty skilled at taking pictures and emailing logbooks.

They also are known in the Mooney community as being respectable business people.

Hope this helps...

Best regards,

-a-

Sounds like an old man who is very attached to his airplane, might be hard to get him to a price you can both agree on. Based on the fact that its probably spent its whole life in a hangar in texas, the airframe is most likely solid. I would budget an engine overhaul since that is the original engine, as well as avionics etc...Might be a good 30k airplane, what is his asking price if you don't mind me asking.

5 minutes ago, wester1970 said:

He is asking 57K.

You think it needs an overhaul since its original due to time  sitting or something else ? seems low hours only 840 or so original hours on the plane.. which is a good thing since its low hours but a bad thing because its not used much... 

I think it may need an overhaul based on both. Long periods of sitting do not do a Lycoming any good because the camshaft is in top; it sits up there and without periodic use can start to rust, then when the airplane is used again the lobes of the cam are wiped off, not good. Also, consider the fact that it has been almost 40 hears since the engine has been apart. All that being said, I work on a few low time airplanes that are flown not that often but still have the orginally installed engine, sometimes dating back to the late 70's with no issues at all. Hopefully we can find someone on here who can help you out, I know there are quite a few guys living in the central Texas area. 57k seems like a whole lot for a plane that will most definitely require some love. 

1 hour ago, wester1970 said:

Tail number = N4829H I was also quite surprised about the no digital log books / media but he is an older gentleman... so i think that might be why the aircraft is a good price :)

Doesn't look like a good price to me.  It looks like a fantastic platform to build what would be a very special plane, but it certainly doesn't look cheap.

Paint: $15K?

Interior: $10K?

Engine: $40K?  (including all the accessories, tubes, etc)

Panel: ???  Assuming King AI/HSI you'll need/want an overhaul- $5K-

Other deferred maintenance: $10K? a lot more?

At that point the plane is worth what- $80-90K?  No IFR GPS, no engine monitor... assuming the rest of the panel is original (or near original)?  This looks like a opportunity to create an incredible J model- if you wanted to build a very special plane I would look at this as the perfect canvas assuming the airframe is solid.  It's not an opportunity to get into an inexpensive J.

1 hour ago, wester1970 said:

He is asking 57K.

You think it needs an overhaul since its original due to time  sitting or something else ? seems low hours only 840 or so original hours on the plane.. which is a good thing since its low hours but a bad thing because its not used much... 

not a guarantee, but a hangar queen aircraft is more prone to engine problems than one that is used routinely.  Low hours doesn't mean it sits for long periods of time.  I only put 50 hours on my plane last year, but I make sure to fly it at least 1 hr every 2-3 weeks.  On the flip side, high hours doesn't mean its flown much in recent year.  Make sure that you put in your due diligence and get the best plane in your price range.

10 hours ago, N6758N said:

My friend just sent me a link to this plane, would anyone in the San Antonio area be willing to go and try and get some pictures? Maybe we can interest someone on here if we have some more details about it. 

I'm an hour N of San Antonio. If someone is definitely interested in buying this airplane I'd be happy to take some pictures after the prospective buyer has made contact with the seller and worked out the details. I'm not interested in just putting pictures on the forum to spark interest in the plane.