Still in Denial

kelty

On 1/7/2017 at 10:04 PM, Junkman said:

The CH2000 is my "other" airplane, planning to instruct in it when I retire in a few years. Please post more if you hear anything more on this one.

Cheers,

Rick

I've still heard nothing.  It may be awhile...

• 2 months later...

Gald to see none was injured ,,, I was a bit sad to find this and see my old friend end its flying days... I had this aircraft for over 25 years made the cover of MOA mag and fly it everywhere all over the US and Bahamas...I put the bladders in it and there is a bit unusable fuel  and the dipping stick was nothing more than a paint stirrer made up by the company that put the tanks in....  I always used Time for fuel and never relied on anything else...What a shame....

MOA Mag cover.jpg

On my first long cross-country with my new Mooney M20E I scared myself. I taken much longer coming up from north Carolina than expected (battery ran down and needed recharge in Virginina). They were having a heat wave and I'm sure I got a little dehydrated. Any way I cut the flight short and landed in Lawrence, Massachusetts coming from Central Jersey (47N), instead of going all the way home to Maine.

The next morning I checked the fuel tanks and realized one was nearly empty and the other full; I had done it all on one tank and landed on the nearly empty tank instead of switching to the most full tank. Lawrence (LWM) is one of those tabletop airports with a steep dropoff at the end of the runway. If i had lost it on short final it would have been a bad setup. I can still remember what I call the "stone cold sober" feeling I had when I looked into that tank and saw almost no gas.

It's very easy to revert to previous training. The Cessna's I grew up with had a "both" setting and I usually just used that all the time. In the Mooneys we have to actually think a bit more about fuel management.

Nice Pirep PineRunner...

Kind of demonstrates the value of transition training...

There are so many details to become familiar with. It only takes omitting one little detail that can ruin your day.

I actually put the tank selector valve in the both position for my first Mooney flight, while taxiing to the run-up area.

I also learned that I should speak loud enough that my CFI can hear me while touching things I'm unfamiliar with...:)

For everyone not familiar, there is no both in low wing planes... the place where 'both' would be is actually 'off' between left and right....

at idle speed, the engine runs about thirty seconds before dying...

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam
  • Like 1