Dual mag O/H - required or suggested?

Oldguy

In a discussion with another Mooney J pilot, we got onto the subject of the dual mag on our A3B6D engines and their overhaul. Neither one of us could come up with a definitive answer to the question of whether the overhaul and the associated interval is required or recommended. A search of the MS archives got me a lot of prices for an overhaul and recommendations of where to have it done, but I could not find anything related to a specific requirement.

Could the MS collective help me out? Is this just a smart thing to do or is there some SB or other requirement to overhaul the mag at a certain interval. Thanks.

1 hour ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

500 hour inspections are recommended but not required.  This is the shop that Don Maxwell uses.  The owner, Aaron Williams, is entirely trustworthy and competent.  Overhaul every 2000 hours.

Jim

http://selectaircraft.com/id2.htm

+1

• Like 1

Some machinery people don't like the double OH as a matter of fighting two infant mortality issues at the same time.

If this is not an issue, using a high quality shop makes the most sense.

PP thoughts only.  I would like to keep my magnetos on different calendar schedules... 

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

We are coming up on the 500 hour inspection ourselves.  We plan to send it to the same place that LASAR sent it before we bought the plane, Quality Aircraft Accessories.  $995 for an IRAN unless they find something extra that needs to be replaced.  $1495 for an OH.  $1750 for an OH exchange.

• Like 1

SB643B

" In addition to the requirements listed above, magnetos must be overhauled or replaced at the expiration of five years since the date of original manufacture or last overhaul, or four years since the date the magneto was placed in service, whichever occurs first, without regard to accumulated operating hours. Also at this time all related components, including the High Tension Ignition Harness, Starting Vibrator Assembly and Ignition Switch Assembly, must be inspected for airworthiness in accordance with the procedures contained in the latest revision of their respective Service Support Manual. "

That's a recommended TBO, not a life limit.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bob - S50 said:

We are coming up on the 500 hour inspection ourselves.  We plan to send it to the same place that LASAR sent it before we bought the plane, Quality Aircraft Accessories.  $995 for an IRAN unless they find something extra that needs to be replaced.  $1495 for an OH.  $1750 for an OH exchange.

I had a terrible experience with QAA, next time it will definitely be http://selectaircraft.com/id2.htm

500 hours is the AD note on the impulse coupling, so it's going to be taken off. We just came up on that number and coincidentally, found a dead mag on a run up. Luckily, it was at our home base. I'd have it looked at every 500 hours. The price tag was $2300 when the shop fees were added and finding someone who had one in stock. Not easy to do in a pinch!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Bob - S50 said:

+1 for QAA.  They did a top quality job on my old IO550G engine's mags when they needed an OH.  Really polite, customer-service oriented folks.

Wow... watching this video before this subject came up.

And I have about 300 hours before my magneto needs to be looked at again. I'll be looking at this thread again in a few years to see the outcome... Mike Busch mentions our D mags at 49:00 of the video and his words are not kind. Apparently Continental owns Bendix and this mag is only used in Lycoming engines. If it weren't for third party manufacturers, we would all have to upgrade...

Edited by jonhop
  • Like 2

Whether it is required or not you should do it.. People criticize the "dual" mag but it is fine as long as you have it looked at every 500 hours. In 2,100 hours I have had no problems at all following this schedule.. It is not a good place to try to save money. Also, be sure your mechanic knows how the attaching hardware goes. Put some "anti sabotage" paint on the attaching nuts and look at them anytine you have the cowling off. Many reported problems result from them being put on wrong and coming loose. 

• Like 2