Mooney Down in Texas

PaulB

Great job pilot, he said he was trying to make a runway but knew he couldn't put it down in the field safely. Said it was just inspected. I wonder if it just came out of annual (I hate those) first post annual flights. Glad he is OK. Is it anyone we know here.

• Like 1

I've always heard it's a good idea to put the gear down to absorb some of the (forward momentum) energy (even if the gear is ripped off)… Instead of that energy being transferred to the pilots

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, 211º said:

I've always heard it's a good idea to put the gear down to absorb some of the (forward momentum) energy (even if the gear is ripped off)… Instead of that energy being transferred to the pilots

Bottom spoilers down. Make it easier to slow down perhaps. 

I've never shut down a single in flight so I have no idea how draggy the prop is. 

Edited by peevee

Great job from the pilot.
I can see the gear is down. 
Would you put the gear down if you have to land on very rough terrain? Just asking not judging. 

It's a tough call but it depends how rough is rough. If it looks like the gear might dig in and I could end up in my back then it's gear up for me. You dissipate energy quickly and come to a stop. At that point the plane is done for most likely so the only consideration is which option is likely to allow me to walk away without injuries.

4 minutes ago, Hector said:

It's a tough call but it depends how rough is rough. If it looks like the gear might dig in and I could end up in my back then it's gear up for me. You dissipate energy quickly and come to a stop. At that point the plane is done for most likely so the only consideration is which option is likely to allow me to walk away without injuries.

Would it depend on not only how rough it is but also how soft it looks like it's going to be? If the surface looks to be softer would you be better off landing gear up instead of the risk of it digging in and flipping you? 

• Like 1

Would it depend on not only how rough it is but also how soft it looks like it's going to be? If the surface looks to be softer would you be better off landing gear up instead of the risk of it digging in and flipping you? 

Yes, that would be my preference. Some might prefer to gamble in the hopes that you make a great landing and incur no damage, but if it's very soft I'm not taking that gamble. It's gear up for me.

• Like 1

Just now, Hector said:

Yes, that would be my preference. Some might prefer to gamble in the hopes that you make a great landing and incur no damage, but if it's very soft I'm not taking that gamble. It's gear up for me.

If I'm ever in that situation my number one goal is to just be able walk away like this guy did. As far as a great landing with no damage... that's why I have insurance.

• Like 1

Remember that with the gear up here is not much between your butt and the ground other than a small amount of aluminum to take impact. It's all about aborning energy which the gear makes a good sacrificial aborbtion. 
-Robert

Robert, no doubt gear down may be the best option depending on terrain. This is going to be a judgement call on the pilot that depends on many factors including how much room he has to land and how quickly he needs to come to a complete stop before he hits something hard.

7 minutes ago, Hector said:

Robert, no doubt gear down may be the best option depending on terrain. This is going to be a judgement call on the pilot that depends on many factors including how much room he has to land and how quickly he needs to come to a complete stop before he hits something hard.

Are you suggesting that sliding on the belly stops faster than dragging gear through the mud?

-Robert

Are you suggesting that sliding on the belly stops faster than dragging gear through the mud?
-Robert

No, not necessarily. Dragging gear through deep mud will likely flip you on your back so you will certainly come to a quick stop. It's not how I plan to come to a stop. Not so wet and not too soft maybe gear down is best. Like I said, it's a judgement call. Pick your spot, make a call, and hope for the best.

3 minutes ago, Hector said:

No, not necessarily. Dragging gear through deep mud will likely flip you on your back so you will certainly come to a quick stop. It's not how I plan to come to a stop. Not so wet and not too soft maybe gear down is best. Like I said, it's a judgement call. Pick your spot, make a call, and hope for the best.

I could see that in a cessna but it would take an incredible  amount of energy to flip a Mooney. If you did do it you'd be happy to disappated all that energy. The tail is designed to accept the weight of the plane. 

-Robert

2 hours ago, Hector said:

Soon as the big fan quits running the insurance company owns it as far as I'm concerned. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

Looks like a gear down? As an engineer I'm not coming up with very many cases where gear up would be good. The gear provides not only drag but life saving vertical energy absorption. Because of the low CG of a Mooney I think the worst case of a wheel digging in would just result in the gear sheering off, dissipating more deadly energy in the process. A high CG Cessna would be a wild ride for sure off field though. 

Fortunately in my engine out I was able to make it to a runway that was designed a space shuttle alternate landing spot. although with not much to spare.

-Robert

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RobertGary1 said:

Looks like a gear down? As an engineer I'm not coming up with very many cases where gear up would be good. The gear provides not only drag but life saving vertical energy absorption. Because of the low CG of a Mooney I think the worst case of a wheel digging in would just result in the gear sheering off, dissipating more deadly energy in the process. A high CG Cessna would be a wild ride for sure off field though. 

Fortunately in my engine out I was able to make it to a runway that was designed a space shuttle alternate landing spot. although with not much to spare.

-Robert

So would you ditch in the ocean with the gear down? I would much rather have the gear up to 'slide' as much as possible on anything other than a smooth, hard surface. Wearing the instrument panel is no fun...