Poor research resulting in good money after bad

There is another thread where a Mooneyspace member had damage to their plane from hanger movement. Years ago, shortly after purchasing my plane, I was in a group  hanger with individual door access. I had a northern exposure and the access was uphill. Ice would accumulate and getting plane up incline was difficult. The hanger had vertical supports that if you pushed back to far you could strike. I forgot this and plane  when I was pushing fast to get up hill  and thinking about ice, got too deep and struck the right flap. 

I searched long and hard to find a right flap to replace the small dent that I noticed every time I approach the plane. I really wanted to get rid of that bad memory. A while ago I found a right flap for an earlier  C model.  I asked on Mooneyspace and there was no definitive yes or no on whether the flap would work on my 66 E.  I purchased a flap in good condition and had it shipped with the help of a relative from Arizona to Iowa. Delivered the flap my car and flew over to A&P  for install. The hangers are not the same and the flap is not compatible. 

Lesson learned is that confirming compatibility is critical when replacing apart on a vintage Mooney.  I tell the story in hopes that others will get confirmation prior to long-distance purchase. If anybody is in need of a 63 C model flap I have one in great condition for sale :)

• Like 2

Always check the part number against that specified in your Mooney Parts Manual and check if there is any airworthiness directive on that part not incorporated in the Mooney Parts Manual. When ordering aileron links last year if the seller did not post a part number I would ask. Even if a part fits it might not be the right part and installing it may undo an airworthiness directive. In my case there were two sets of parts that fit, one airworthiness directive compliant the other not.