Garmin Navdata bundles

1 minute ago, Oscar Avalle said:

Garmin, but the question I have is the key limited to jepp charts? Or if I change my subscription to NOAA, can I still see the approach charts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My belief is that the NOAA charts are included in the new Garmin subscription policy and that they do not require any additional fees to unlock the unit. I plan on dumping Jepp within the next few days and signing up with Garmin. I'll file a PIREP.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

My belief is that the NOAA charts are included in the new Garmin subscription policy and that they do not require any additional fees to unlock the unit. I plan on dumping Jepp within the next few days and signing up with Garmin. I'll file a PIREP.

I apologize for my ignorance, but I am not at all tech savvy. I have also yet  to crack into the instruction manual and the free stuff that Garman gives you with the unit, including the initial download. But if I do not use Garman for the download service, will I still get the government charts  for the 750 through Jepp, or under that scenario would I not have charts  at all?

1 minute ago, Bravoman said:

I apologize for my ignorance, but I am not at all tech savvy. I have also yet  to crack into the instruction manual and the free stuff that Garman gives you with the unit, including the initial download. But if I do not use Garman for the download service, will I still get the government charts  for the 750 through Jepp, or under that scenario would I not have charts  at all?

Garmin does give you a free 30 day trial of the Jepp Chartview and the initial database update will include them.

Up until now our -750 subscription has been with Jepp, and no, charts have not been included, not even NOAA.

• Like 1

Please let us know!

• Like 1

So, the comment that you can't use a mac with your Garmin subscription was innacurate?

I have been using my MacBook Pro for some time to update my databases. However, you can not use Chrome. You have to use another browser

Oscar

Garmin pricing is very complicated, especially if you have more than one device make sure you realize the differences between their Bundles, One Packs & Pilot Packs. They are costly differences. The Bundles pricing refer to different databases on the same one device and the option you would be looking at with a single Garmin device. This only applies to the newer GTN, G500/600/1000 stuff. (A GNS user only really needs one database: Navdata. Scorched earth DTED really doesn't change!) 

But once you have more than one Garmin device that consumes data, your options become the One Packs or Pilot Paks form Garmin (I am leaving out Jepp Pilot Paks from Jep to avoid confusion for now). But whats really important to us is the difference between One Paks and Pilot Paks. I had thought that One Paks might be synomous with one time paks - but no its a full year of updates as well. The only difference is that cheaper OnePaks uses Garmin Navdata and the PilotPaks use Jeppesen Navdata instead - that is the primary key difference. (But there are some portable database options differences I am going to ignore; but if that applies to you, you will want to read up on that.) There really isn't much difference between Garmin Navdata and Jepp Navdata until you get into private airports were Jepp is the most complete and Garmin is not. But they should be identical for public airports. So as an example, assuming as a minimum you want to include Navdata and Flitecharts for at least the US:

Garmin OnePak for North America Standard + FliteCharts is $924 or $799 for just the US Standard + Flitecharts. And provides databases for all your "qualifying" Garmin panel avionics (i.e. G500/600/1000... GTN's & GNS's)

I was paying $745 a year for just dual GNS430's for America's Jepp Nav data only - so that is really a good deal and I can only utilize North America anyway. Plus the One Pak Standards quoted above include the NOAA Flitecharts.

or if someone really wants to pay the premium for Jepp NavData:

Garmin US Standard + FliteCharts PilotPak is $934 - so for $210 more, you get Jepp Navdata but coverage is only for US or

Garmin Americas Standard + FliteCharts PilotPak is $1172 - this adds NA and SA Jepp Navdata but is now $448 more than just the NA Standard option with Gamin Navdata for  $724

Things get more complicated if you want to add Jepp Charts; especially for a limited region like Western US. But with Jepp Pilot Paks, we are comparing with Garmin PilotPaks that use Jepp Nav data rather than Garmin OnePaks. Many different ways you could consider bundling, but here are a couple I considered for comparison:

US with full US Charts $990 with 2 mobile site keys 

America's with Charts for America's for $1230 with 2 mobile site keys

America's without charts with 4 site keys at $908, then add on a limited Jepp Charts like Western US for $242 at a total of $1150 - so really the full America's for $1230 or only US only $990 with complete chart coverage are better deals for most people - if you can get by with 2 mobile site keys (which means 2 ipads or ipad + iPhone etc).

You could also consider the Garmin Onepak and add the your Jepp Charts separately - this means you'll be downloading data separately from Garmin and Jepp.

To display Jepp charts on panel devices you have to pay your Garmin dealer the unlock fee for each device you want to display Jepp charts on and then they unlock the device(s). But once you unlock, you Pilot Pak subscription will display charts on all your unlocked devices with no extra recurring subscription fees. 

DB Concierge services - If you are FS510 user, currently you can only take advantage of this via Garmin downloads. But Jepp is working on this now and expects within 6 months they will be compatible too - but the details are unknown. But it could be a big disappointment to me if i had to use the Jepp FD ipad app to download and upload since that will take up one of my two limited site keys since I want to keep site keys for Garmin Pilot primary and backup (or you may want to use Foreflght). But I kinda suspect that Jepp FD is going to be their route for downloading but I don't know.

Edited by kortopates
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/6/2017 at 10:40 AM, gsengle said:

And to switch from Jepp to Garmin, for a gns unit, do you need a new card reader?

I'm late to the discussion but in answer to your question... yes, the Jepp Skybound card-reader/programmer WILL NOT work to program your GNS data-card. You have to buy a new programmer from Garmin for $70.

Also, a couple of years ago the WAAS capable cards were updated; the new (navdata) cards can be identified by having an "orange" label. At that time Jepp also updated the programmer such that the old programmer WILL NOT work with the newer cards, but their newer programmer WILL work with both the newer and older card versions.

Jepp navdata isn't such a bad deal if you renew at an event where they'll give you 3-4 months free, but since I'll likely miss SnF this year I'm thinking about switching my GNS530W data subscription to Garmin. $440 with Jepp vs. $299 with Garmin is a big difference!

• 2 weeks later...