Garmin Navdata bundles

I'd be interested in switching over - if only because the Jepp software for doing the updates has been a problem constantly.

I'd add to our question would one need a new card reader to switch? Any other complications?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just went with the garmin bundle "pilot pak" for a G600 and dual 750's using garmin charts instead of jepp... so far so good. All downloads are from fly garmin so no more jepp distributor. Best part about it aside from newer technology is the big cards I had with the GNS units are now gone and SD cards are used. No more weird USB adapters!!

I have been using the Garmin OnetPak (US Std + FlightCharts) costing $799/yr. The pack contains all that is needed for IFR flight (terrain, obstacles, Safe Taxi, Nav Data, Charts, Airport Directory and Base Map). They are of course the NOAA charts. I have no issues with function in the G1000. Updating is as easy as putting the SD card in the computer selecting the new Data bases (all at once) then select update. After completed, just put the SD card back in the plane...Wala! You will need to down load a provided program off the Garmin site that was no problem- on a windows based computer. I originally tried to utilize my MacBook but was unsuccessful. 

I am happy with the functionality for the most part. The only disappointment is there is no Geo-Referenced approaches. I personally use ForeFlight / IPAD for this function. ForeFlight uses NOAA charts as well so the systems look the same. I have no regrets going with the Garmin Data.

Right now we subscribe to Jepp for the GTN data. We pay $740 a year for Nav data, Safe Taxi and Obstacles for East/Central USA.
Do the Garmin packs come with the entire country or is it regional like Jepp?

Entire country. And unlike Jepp, you can download the safetaxi and obstacles more than once (to get it on the second SD).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Entire country. And unlike Jepp, you can download the safetaxi and obstacles more than once (to get it on the second SD).

We are right in the middle of our Jepp subscription, will they give a refund for the unused portion if we cancel early?

The main thing that has kept me with Jepp is that I have a 650 as primary and a 430w as secondary. We have a MacBook at home and no windows computer. I recently looked at switching to Garmin but I was told by Garmin that I would need a windows pc to do the downloads for the 430. Jepp is totally compatible with Apple for all downloads. I have been happy with Jepp and really like their customer service, but if I were to switch to Garmin is there any way of getting around having to buy another computer?

Thanks, Frank

2 hours ago, Bravoman said:

I recently looked at switching to Garmin but I was told by Garmin that I would need a windows pc to do the downloads for the 430. Jepp is totally compatible with Apple for all downloads. I have been happy with Jepp and really like their customer service, but if I were to switch to Garmin is there any way of getting around having to buy another computer?

You can run a copy of windows in a VM like virtualbox.   

Rumor is that the latest software for the WAAS G1000 (.34) features the geo-ref NOAA plates.

I've been using the PilotPak USA on the G1000 and the mac download software, and my only issue is that I have to manually delete the old NOAA charts to clear space on the SD card before downloading the new set (MFD card only) 

That's a pain in the... and many of us don't have the tech skills... and you still have to buy a copy of windows... and port mapping for things like USB readers with special drivers can be a nightmare as I recall.

And if this is the only thing you use it for, enjoy having to do all the windows updates all the time. Cmon Garmin this is ridiculous.

2 hours ago, Oscar Avalle said:

Garmin sounds like a much better deal than Jepp. One question, I unlocked the approach chart feature for Jepp on my 750, do I need to do anything to see the NOAA charts?

Oscar, I have just installed a 750 in my Saratoga, but have not used it yet. My prop is out to be  resealed. What do you mean by unlocking the Jepp approach chart feature  and how do you do it?  Is there something more that  I need to do other than  download the nav  data and put the card in the 750? 

Thanks, Frank

Edited by Bravoman

Oscar, I have just installed a 750 in my Saratoga, but have not used it yet. My prop is out to be  resealed. What do you mean by unlocking the Jepp approach chart feature  and how do you do it?  Is there something more that  I need to do other than  download the nav  data and put the card in the 750? 

Thanks, Frank

If you want to project Jepp approach charts on the 750 you need to get a key to unlock that feature on the unit.
Oscar

3 minutes ago, Oscar Avalle said:

If you want to project Jepp approach charts on the 750 you need to get a key to unlock that feature on the unit.
Oscar

I believe this feature comes with a onetime unlock fee of about $1,500.

4 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

I believe this feature comes with a onetime unlock fee of about $1,500.

Who is it purchased from? Garmin I am assuming? And I am also assuming that the government charts are standard and require no unlock feature of any type?

Edited by Bravoman