Thoughts on this C

1 hour ago, 1964-M20E said:

Not too bad looking would be nice if it had at lease an older GPS.  Most likely it will need ADSB update depending on where he flies

I see an older Garmin GPS in the panel. The annunciators above it would make me assume it is approach capable. May or may not have com functionality depending on model i.e. 155XL. Not sure why that would be included in the equipment list?

Aside:  Most of the C and E models for sale today seem to  have 3,000 to 4,000 hours.  Twenty years ago, the C and E models for sale had about the same total time.  What's happened to the "regularly flown" planes which by now should have over 6,000 hours (50 years x 100-150 per year?)

While the avionics are old, I see nothing that would set off alarms in the listing.

It is a low time airplane which can be good, or bad depending on how the hours are distributed since overhaul.

Often, it's what is NOT said in a listing which is more telling than what is said.

Do a good pre-buy.

My buddy talked to the sales guy, plane hasn't flown in 4+ years. He didn't know about tanks being resealed, but said they don't leak...I have a feeling someone has been pencil whipping the annual he last several years if it hasn't been flying.

Looks like a non-IFR installation of an otherwise IFR capable Garmin GNC300XL GPS with com.  The GPS CDI appears to be above the audio panel which places it out of the proper field of view for an IFR installation.

ADS-B may or may not be a problem in 2020 depending on where you intend to fly.

I think I see an old Narco Nav 122 "all in one" closest to the radio stack on the left side.  Looks like the panel has been updated to be similar to a 201 with "6 pack" lay out on the left and the angled panel on the right.  The panel and avionics are dated but entirely usable for IFR after verifying proper operation.

No pictures of the interior usually means it's trashed.  Paint looks fair.

At this price, my primary concern would be the engine.  400 hours in 14 years is not much flying.  On the other hand it could be a bargain, not many good choices out there for this amount of money.

I would be a little nervous that they posted no pictures of the interior. The extensive instrument panel modifications leave a little to be desired. Although the six instrument PFD and the C/B panels are nice locating the manifold pressure and RPM to the far right is less than the ideal location. The old Garwin instrument cluster location is less than ideal and these instruments due to age are quite problematic (will replace mine soon). The dual Glideslope is great that ADF will have to go. It is good that the one piece windshield is not speed sloped which means you still have access to the back side of the instrument panel. It looks like an older S-tek autopilot above the two NAV/COM's it is not a Brittin PC (positive control) pneumatic autopilot. There is a lot to work with here IF THE PRICE IS RIGHT.