Seat Removal/Reaplacement

milotron

Howdy,

As part of the update to my interior, I will be removing and sending the seats to Aerocomfort for recovering. 

Can I do this myself or do I require sign off by AME for this?  BTW I am Canadian, but I think the regs are similar on this.

I understand the interior panels are covered under the Owner work CARS, but the seat portion is not as clear.

Thanks,

iain

Good question!

Some parts of the seat are defined by the regs...  but others, like foam and leather coverings are a user replaceable part.

The person that would really know is the folks at AeroComfort.  Their website may have some details too. 

Expect that weight and balance and flammability testing will be part of the needs....  And of course, an Eye for fashion when selecting the color... 

This is a PP thought, not a mechanic.

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

There are two aspects to this...

1) The actual installation of the new seats. This is covered as preventative maintenance in the FARs item 15. You can log the seats reinstalled and sign with your pilot certificate number.

2) The approval for the new foam/covering/etc. You'll need to ask the manufacture. They may have some certification, if not an A&P will need to log flammability test, etc.I believe there is an AC on this.

-Robert

13 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

There are two aspects to this...

1) The actual installation of the new seats. This is covered as preventative maintenance in the FARs item 15. You can log the seats reinstalled and sign with your pilot certificate number.

2) The approval for the new foam/covering/etc. You'll need to ask the manufacture. They may have some certification, if not an A&P will need to log flammability test, etc.I believe there is an AC on this.

-Robert

Thanks Robert, that is how I see it also. So long as the burn test rating is suitable and the seats are still Mooney PMA seats it is an owner sign off item per the FARs ( CARS is almost identical in this respect ).

On January 3, 2017 at 11:52 PM, milotron said:

Howdy,

As part of the update to my interior, I will be removing and sending the seats to Aerocomfort for recovering. 

Can I do this myself or do I require sign off by AME for this?  BTW I am Canadian, but I think the regs are similar on this.

I understand the interior panels are covered under the Owner work CARS, but the seat portion is not as clear.

Thanks,

iain

Hello Iain,

The way I read the CAR's you are allowed to removed and replace your interior. See CAR STD. 625 Append A item 14.  This section covers all items which are considered "elementary maintenance" and therefore do not require a maintenance release by your AME.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/regserv/cars/part6-standards-a625a-2458.htm

After completing the work you must record it in accordance with CAR 571.03

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/regserv/cars/part5-standards-571s-1827.htm#571s_02

Clarence

44 minutes ago, milotron said:

Thanks  for the confirmation Clarence. Considering the importance of seats and their fastening to flight safety, I am a little surprised it is considered an elementary maintenance item.

iain

Iain,

As long as you reinstall them with correct parts for the stops per the parts manual you will be fine.  You can always have your AME check your installation.

Clarence

Do you guys know of a facility here in Canada that does Quality work like Aerocomfort, the exchange rate is just brutal right now, for reference I'm in Calgary, but willing to travel. I had planned on going to Aerocomfort, but at the 38%premium just cant do it mentally ;)

52 minutes ago, FBCK said:

Do you guys know of a facility here in Canada that does Quality work like Aerocomfort, the exchange rate is just brutal right now, for reference I'm in Calgary, but willing to travel. I had planned on going to Aerocomfort, but at the 38%premium just cant do it mentally ;)

I don't know anyone out west.  Here in Ontario Impact Aero Interiors or Tom's Upholstery.

www.impactaero.com

www.tomsupholstery.ca

Clarence

Just a word of caution re shipping the seats.  Several years ago I shipped my seats from Texas to Oregon Aero to have their VK foam installed.  Packed seats in one large box one seat inverted so as to rest on the seat of the other.  Long story short some damage to seat frames and levers. Best not to ship them together... pack in two boxes or....best to drive them to a shop.

3 hours ago, FBCK said:

I am just getting a price on a seat recovering from a local vendor via my AME as my plane is in for annual right now.  He does amazing work from what I am told. I am expecting pricing back tomorrow and will pass on names and any info that I can.  

I am in Victoria BC and share your pains on the exchange. Shipping there and back may be another $500 or so too! At least no customs on the NAFTA stuff ( for now anyways....)

I am just in the planning stage, but hope to get this underway in the next month or so. My panels need some love too, weighing the options between aero comfort covering and replacement/paint myself.

Too much icy weather makes for idle hands it seems...

6 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Regardings panels, they are a LONG term investment, like 20 years or so, so pay as much as you can afford.  I swear by Hector in aerocomfort, great guy he copes with the English eccentricities that i have, slotted me in to fit around my paint job, kept me in the loop at all times, liaised with my paint shop about what to ship to him etc.  Basically took the "problem" away from me and sorted it with VERY good quality stuff.  Look on G-OBAL refit thread for pics.  

We are all very eager to see the transformation Andrew.

• Like 1